Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 04:47 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times

Advertisements

For a long time they have been putting out too many 'main events' than the talent they have available. Quest for PPV money may kill the sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 09:59 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
You're crazy if you think this. Sometimes Mayweather just plays around doing defense only just for fun....not running, but staying right there in the pocket, dodging. You just don't know enough to see the mastery of his counterfighting, which is what he is, almost a pure counterfighter. Counterfighters takes a lot of potshots, they don't stay an brawl.

Floyd Mayweather Defensive Genius (Defense Highlights) HD - YouTube

Old 03-31-2014, 11:34 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
The grappling on the mat for four minutes out of every round is what is killing it for me. Fans want to see punches and kicks same way they want to see home runs and touchdowns.
Grappling is great - as long as they stand them up in a stalemate. But anyone who says "grappling sucks" doesn't understand or appreciate the skill of MMA. Don't watch then.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:37 PM

162 posts, read 177,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Grappling is great - as long as they stand them up in a stalemate. But anyone who says "grappling sucks" doesn't understand or appreciate the skill of MMA. Don't watch then.
Wrong, wrapping up for four minutes like two starfish is about as exciting as watching....well, two starfish. The skill of MMA, in case you don't know what the acronym stands for is "MIXED" martial arts. Not wrestling martial arts which would make it WMA.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Hell yeah, it's amazing. If you're at least an amateur Boxer, you'd know how awesome his skills are.
Quote:
You're crazy if you think this. Sometimes Mayweather just plays around doing defense only just for fun....not running, but staying right there in the pocket, dodging. You just don't know enough to see the mastery of his counterfighting, which is what he is, almost a pure counterfighter. Counterfighters takes a lot of potshots, they don't stay an brawl.
Defense is fine, but you have to have offense.....throw more than 30 punchers per round, b@llz, and be willing to fight ANYONE, if you want to call yourself a the greatest of a generation. He's ducked all the best in their primes and it's easy to look good defensively when you are fighting guys who are damaged goods or smaller than you. Most overrated champion of all time.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:31 AM

352 posts, read 324,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
Defense is fine, but you have to have offense.....throw more than 30 punchers per round, b@llz, and be willing to fight ANYONE, if you want to call yourself a the greatest of a generation. He's ducked all the best in their primes and it's easy to look good defensively when you are fighting guys who are damaged goods or smaller than you. Most overrated champion of all time.
When you're not looking through those rose-colored glasses of "the past of boxing when it was controlled by the Mafia was so much better", you'd realize that today's top fighters are superior athletes to those of yesterday. You'd never seen a Klitschko fight where they didn't throw a single power punch in a round, but in Liston-Clay (one of the BS wins on Ali's record where the other fighter took a dive and Dundee cheated to keep the fight going), Ali went two whole rounds (rounds 2 and 5) without throwing a single power punch. Hagler-Leonard has nearly identical punch stats as Mayweather-Cotto, except Mayweather was more dominant in that fight against an opponent who was at a better stage in his career than Hagler was.

As for MMA, the popularity is going down because most major events are huge disappointments and there are WAY too many PPV fights headlined by guys that only MMA fans know. Dana White also takes far too much money while underpaying the fighters. The person who said the fighters make $1,000,000/fight in UFC obviously knows nothing about the sport. I personally train with three UFC vets, none of them has any money...and one of them fought for a title on a PPV headline and was paid only $12,000. Compare to boxing where Osumanu Adama (no relation to the captain of the Battlestar Galactica) was paid $85,000 to fight Daniel Geale for a title in 2012.

I also agree that the wrestling is not entertaining to watch, it does not make for good TV. People don't watch ultimate fighting to see two sweaty men roll around together for 5 rounds, they want to see blood and guts FIGHTING.

Last edited by HedgeYourInvestments; 04-03-2014 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 12:36 PM

596 posts, read 982,855 times
Grappling may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is an important part of actual fighting. MMA is the closest simulation that our society has to real fighting. Real fighting can be very boring to watch (if you don't believe me then check out some youtube videos of a couple of dorks going at it. After watching the pros go at it, I can't even watch most of these street fight vids anymore). One reason that I enjoy mma is that it is an excellent laboratory to see what does/doesn't work in a high-pressure situation. There are many combat sports out there that have zero grappling. As I mentioned in a previous post, Glory Kickboxing had a great card a few weeks ago.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
When you're not looking through those rose-colored glasses of "the past of boxing when it was controlled by the Mafia was so much better", you'd realize that today's top fighters are superior athletes to those of yesterday. You'd never seen a Klitschko fight where they didn't throw a single power punch in a round, but in Liston-Clay (one of the BS wins on Ali's record where the other fighter took a dive and Dundee cheated to keep the fight going), Ali went two whole rounds (rounds 2 and 5) without throwing a single power punch. Hagler-Leonard has nearly identical punch stats as Mayweather-Cotto, except Mayweather was more dominant in that fight against an opponent who was at a better stage in his career than Hagler was.

As for MMA, the popularity is going down because most major events are huge disappointments and there are WAY too many PPV fights headlined by guys that only MMA fans know. Dana White also takes far too much money while underpaying the fighters. The person who said the fighters make $1,000,000/fight in UFC obviously knows nothing about the sport. I personally train with three UFC vets, none of them has any money...and one of them fought for a title on a PPV headline and was paid only $12,000. Compare to boxing where Osumanu Adama (no relation to the captain of the Battlestar Galactica) was paid $85,000 to fight Daniel Geale for a title in 2012.

I also agree that the wrestling is not entertaining to watch, it does not make for good TV. People don't watch ultimate fighting to see two sweaty men roll around together for 5 rounds, they want to see blood and guts FIGHTING.
I agree wi some of our points but you are using some less an stellar fights of the past to prove your point. Go back to Robinson vs LaMotta, Basilio, Fullmer, Gavilan to see some great fights. Watch any of the Ali/Frazier fights. Hagler/Hearns? Are you joking? Rose colored glasses are what Floyd fans where while drinking the Mayweather kool aid. One thing is for certain, you'll never see a Mayweathers greatest wins DVD because most of his fights are built around a lot of hype. Fighting beat up former champions, smaller opponents, and guys who will stand in front of him or follow him around in circles.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:37 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
wow last i heard this was the MMA forum, but it seems to have turned into the boxing board all of a sudden.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:56 PM

438 posts, read 1,531,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
Grappling may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is an important part of actual fighting. MMA is the closest simulation that our society has to real fighting. Real fighting can be very boring to watch (if you don't believe me then check out some youtube videos of a couple of dorks going at it. After watching the pros go at it, I can't even watch most of these street fight vids anymore). One reason that I enjoy mma is that it is an excellent laboratory to see what does/doesn't work in a high-pressure situation. There are many combat sports out there that have zero grappling. As I mentioned in a previous post, Glory Kickboxing had a great card a few weeks ago.
I have to disagree, I've seen 12 year old girls put on more entertaining fights than the usual UFC bout today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)