Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many people know how to fight
Less than 1% 10 35.71%
5% 10 35.71%
10% 5 17.86%
20% 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 03:13 AM

166 posts, read 243,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'd say about half the people in the world would be able to win a fight
That's great. ^^^

Seriously though, IMO the single biggest determining factor in a fight is attitude and will. As a kid I remember the first time I got in a real fight. I was scared to death. When I got hit it scared me. I soon realized that it wasn't the end of the world, I wasn't going to die and it didn't really hurt that bad. Once I figured that part out I was no longer the target for a bully.
I'm trying to teach this to my 8 year old son who trains. He's starting to get it but hasn't completely grasped the whole concept yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 03:33 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
I just study gun fu.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:55 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I just study gun fu.
That great....but....you have to becareful which states and localities you actually implement that self defense tactic. The legal issues involved can be quite a PIA even if your in the right.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:00 AM

864 posts, read 799,435 times
Most people are horrible fighters who would get chin checked by any average amateur boxer.

That being said, I've been to a party where a drunk thug literally almost decapitated a guy with one of the slowest, ill-aimed punches I've ever seen. Then his friends started kicking the guy on the ground for good measure until some of us broke it up.

So all of you guys who think you're going to get a takedown and pound someone out, or choke them out Rickson Gracie style, remember MMA is not a street fight. If you pull guard on a sidewalk, you could get a brick right to the face from some of the guys untrained friends.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:59 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Most people are horrible fighters who would get chin checked by any average amateur boxer.

That being said, I've been to a party where a drunk thug literally almost decapitated a guy with one of the slowest, ill-aimed punches I've ever seen. Then his friends started kicking the guy on the ground for good measure until some of us broke it up.

So all of you guys who think you're going to get a takedown and pound someone out, or choke them out Rickson Gracie style, remember MMA is not a street fight. If you pull guard on a sidewalk, you could get a brick right to the face from some of the guys untrained friends.
Most people are horrible fighters.

Hell, I've been in quite a few fights (although only one since becoming an adult) and I wouldn't even call myself a decent fighter. Even the fights I won had more to do with the other guy sucking more than me being a badass.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:16 AM

864 posts, read 799,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Most people are horrible fighters.

Hell, I've been in quite a few fights (although only one since becoming an adult) and I wouldn't even call myself a decent fighter. Even the fights I won had more to do with the other guy sucking more than me being a badass.
Yeah I think most people now they aren't BJJ blackbelts or skilled boxers, but they watch a few UFC Fight Night shows and they start believing in themselves. They should stop.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:43 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
I used to know how to fight. I learned the hardway. From my first day of any kind of schooling, kids tried to pick fights with me. The way I learned was by imitating what they did. Like, if they kicked my legs, I would kick them same way back. If they grabbed my collar, and tried to hip throw me, I would attempt the same. Eventually I added in my own techs.

I got really good from early on. Good enough so that everyone respected me. This is in grade school of course.

Now I always wondered how those kids who knew how to fight, learned to fight.

But anyways all that was a long time ago. I have not been in any physical confrontations starting in high school. I have trained martial arts, but I honestly do not know how I will fare in a fight nowadays.

I really dont think I would do that good. I have trained the more progressive martial arts like BJJ and boxing, but I keep feeling like I was better at fighting when I was a little kid who simply learned to scrap by scrapping.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:38 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
This question fascinates me....
I used to know a taekwondo instructor...
He thought he was all that- but I honestly doubt he could defend himself in a real street fight.
Yet he was teaching kids & even some adults that they were learning self defense.
I've also known people who had no formal training in any fighting techniques-
but they were seriously unstoppable in real fights.
As for the question, I don't think a lot of people actually know how to fight-
I don't think a lot of people have even ever had to.
That shocks me in itself.
I've always wanted to learn Krav Maga-
but recently met someone who wants to teach me everything he knows about bjj......

Old 07-10-2014, 09:46 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
I learned kungfu for 7 years, and if my adrenaline gets flowing and you have ticked me off, run away fast . I hurt a miscreant badly because of this in high school and got suspended.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:32 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I learned kungfu for 7 years, and if my adrenaline gets flowing and you have ticked me off, run away fast . I hurt a miscreant badly because of this in high school and got suspended.
great satire of a tough-guy, well-done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)