Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many people know how to fight
Less than 1% 10 35.71%
5% 10 35.71%
10% 5 17.86%
20% 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:08 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,058,408 times

Advertisements

Is obvious that most people are afraid of confrontation. Some people have never fought in their lives before. Some people would run and others fight. How many people do you think know how to at least defend themselves 1 on 1?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 12:22 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,011,648 times
thats a trick question. there is truly no way to even guess.
i mean ive trained to fight my whole life, from about age 5 yrs old, to today. now i would say i can defend myself against a very large part of the population. my son has trained since he was 5 also, and while he can defend himself vs a large % of the population around his age (11) hes not going to be able to defend himself vs the bulk of the population of the world simply out of size.

ive seen guys train 5 days a week for years and still run from a fight. in addition, MOST martial arts teach you to NOT fight, to avoid fighting if at all possible.

there are those who have never learned any "self defense" that cna just lay it out there and fight, and others who will, once push becomes shove, fight to the death if need be though they have never had any training.

my old business partner has never trained a day in his life, and has never been in a fight in his life. hes 42 yrs old now and has never thrown a punch.

its just to hard of a thing to even guess at.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:41 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,512,484 times
The question should be this:

What percentage of people can successfully defend themselves in a physical combat situation?

A fair percentage of people who have never trained to fight but have a high degree of basic athleticism could say yes to this.

A fair percentage of people who think they can fight because they have studied some type of martial arts (especially "traditional" martial arts without much actual practical fighting skills) would be very surprised to find out that what they've studied really may mean nothing in a real fight.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
thats a trick question. there is truly no way to even
guess.
i mean ive trained to fight my whole life, from about age 5 yrs old, to
today. now i would say i can defend myself against a very large part of the
population.
Before I got old, fat and decrepit, I would say I fit this description as well. Most of my training from age 7 was in true combat sports - wrestling (several styles), judo, and BJJ, with a bit of boxing and capoeira thrown in.
Quote:

my son has trained since he was 5 also, and while he can defend himself vs a
large % of the population around his age (11) hes not going to be able to defend
himself vs the bulk of the population of the world simply out of size.
ive seen guys train 5 days a week for years and still run from a fight. in
addition, MOST martial arts teach you to NOT fight, to avoid fighting if at all
possible.
Agreed. I've run from plenty of fights.

Quote:

there are those who have never learned any "self defense" that cna just lay
it out there and fight, and others who will, once push becomes shove, fight to
the death if need be though they have never had any training.

my old business partner has never trained a day in his life, and has never
been in a fight in his life. hes 42 yrs old now and has never thrown a punch.

its just to hard of a thing to even guess at.
Kind of what I said in an earlier post.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The question should be this:

What percentage of people can successfully defend themselves in a physical combat situation?

A fair percentage of people who have never trained to fight but have a high degree of basic athleticism could say yes to this.

A fair percentage of people who think they can fight because they have studied some type of martial arts (especially "traditional" martial arts without much actual practical fighting skills) would be very surprised to find out that what they've studied really may mean nothing in a real fight.
case in point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiNFh1Rk4s

Old 06-10-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Oh my God.......that is the quintessential McDojo!

Old 06-10-2014, 04:55 PM

i love the street fighter music, brings back memories.

the thing is, these people TRULY BELIEVE in what they do. i would put my house on the line as to bet 90% of those people have told more than 1 person "im a blackbelt in xxxxxxxx" (what ever martial art this video is of)

about 5-6 yrs ago i stopped in to help a buddy teach a kids bjj class. he recently started renting space inside another place. there was an "american karate" class going on at the same time. i instructor was showing some technique, and one of the kids (teens) asked a question about it. dont remember the question. the instructor replied with "im not here to answer your damn questions, so be quiet and learn"

lmao that is what traditional martial arts has become, street fighter kick-a-thons and no questions allowed, heres your blackbelt, wheres my check.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:59 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,461,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Is obvious that most people are afraid of confrontation. Some people have never fought in their lives before. Some people would run and others fight. How many people do you think know how to at least defend themselves 1 on 1?
The way to get an answer to this question is not to ask people's opinions.

The way to get an answer to this question is to take an anonymous poll (or a number of polls) large enough to get you a reliable representative sample. It would be interesting to do.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:19 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,480,393 times
Quote:
WTF!!!!!! I guess if you want to learn how to defend from a opponent throwing half a$$ kicks...this is the guy to train under.

KATA FEST!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2014, 11:45 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,844,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I'd say about half the people in the world would be able to win a fight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)