Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:30 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times

Advertisements

I am happy people have their religion, but it is really getting boring when every single fight ends with a Tim Tebow style "platform speech" about Jesus.

Benson Henderson is probably the worst, it is almost funny the way he goes into the proselytizing win or lose. If we wanted to hear that stuff we could attend Church on Sunday. Overall it is annoying and it will only get worse. I highly doubt if a Muslim or Jew were to do the same that it would be well received.

Please shut him up and limit fighters preaching time before this gets out of hand. Anyone else annoyed by this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 10:34 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragments View Post
You should fight him.
Hopefully he would knock me out so I wouldn't have to hear his post fight sermon.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:58 PM

596 posts, read 982,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I am happy people have their religion, but it is really getting boring when every single fight ends with a Tim Tebow style "platform speech" about Jesus.

Benson Henderson is probably the worst, it is almost funny the way he goes into the proselytizing win or lose. If we wanted to hear that stuff we could attend Church on Sunday. Overall it is annoying and it will only get worse. I highly doubt if a Muslim or Jew were to do the same that it would be well received.

Please shut him up and limit fighters preaching time before this gets out of hand. Anyone else annoyed by this?

I turned off the TV right after Henderson was ko'd the other night because it was getting late, so I didn't catch any of his comments. I just assumed that he wouldn't have any due to the loss. It would be interesting to see two religious zealots fight each other, so that we can see who God loves more. Also, it would be fun to have a "religion vs. religion" format on TUF.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:36 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Hopefully he would knock me out so I wouldn't have to hear his post fight sermon.
To be honest, most of these MMA stars did not grow up doing MMA. They started quite late with very little amateur experience. If they have any, it is not very comprehensive, amateur experience that is, as other sports like basketball, or football.

At this point in the development of the sport. Anybody relatively athletic with the right training could probably beat anyone out there.

You may have a chance.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
I turned off the TV right after Henderson was ko'd the other night because it was getting late, so I didn't catch any of his comments. I just assumed that he wouldn't have any due to the loss. It would be interesting to see two religious zealots fight each other, so that we can see who God loves more. Also, it would be fun to have a "religion vs. religion" format on TUF.
They need an ex taliban, or jihadist in there or something.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:36 PM

73 posts, read 123,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
To be honest, most of these MMA stars did not grow up doing MMA. They started quite late with very little amateur experience. If they have any, it is not very comprehensive, amateur experience that is, as other sports like basketball, or football.

At this point in the development of the sport. Anybody relatively athletic with the right training could probably beat anyone out there.

You may have a chance.

That's completely untrue.

Most of the top guys, have at this point been training in MMA for years. Also the top of the food chain were mostly Division 1 level wrestlers, or at least other combat sports (boxing, Judo, Muay Thai) which definitely are taylor made to fight MMA. If you think a division 1 wrestler (even the worst one) is not an athlete or you could maybe train a little and go beat him...just give it a try.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:40 PM

73 posts, read 123,653 times
@ theOP_ And who cares that much? If MMA had the popularity and money in the middle East guys would be preaching about Allah right after their fights.

So personally I don't really agree with Henderson, big deal! Let him believe what he wants. Having a belief is very important to a man in the fight game. That's obviously something the OP doesn't understand and that's ok, but last I checked one didn't catch on fire or melt when someone else mentioned Jesus, so get over it.

Besides religion what else would you like to hear? How much can they talk about? Maybe you could hear Mayweather talk about his new Ferrari, or his after party, or his boy "pookie" or whatever, now THAT would be cool.

Or...Maybe you should make a law about it?

Old 11-28-2014, 03:19 PM

564 posts, read 746,793 times
Quote:
Hahaha, that was good. Yeah, the religion thing is annoying, just tune it out.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:29 AM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
Also, it would be fun to have a "religion vs. religion" format on TUF.
I'm up for this. Islam vs Christian. Buddhism vs Judaism.

But why stop there -- how about politics as well. Democrat vs Republican!

It's time sports take cause for more glorious battles ahead!

Old 11-30-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Biscuits View Post
That's completely untrue.

Most of the top guys, have at this point been training in MMA for years. Also the top of the food chain were mostly Division 1 level wrestlers, or at least other combat sports (boxing, Judo, Muay Thai) which definitely are taylor made to fight MMA. If you think a division 1 wrestler (even the worst one) is not an athlete or you could maybe train a little and go beat him...just give it a try.
Yeh they been in it for years starting at like 26 or 27, fighting other guys the same, and how often do they actually get a fight?

Div 1 wrestling is a far cry from fighting. There are no top Muay thai or boxers. There are little really good judoka in there as well.

There are already plenty of people that started relatively late that have beaten D1 wrestlers. BJ Penn, GSP, Anthony Pettis, Anderson Silva are just some of the more famous ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)