Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:35 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,133 times

Advertisements

Whites that have recently or still are champions of the world or are at the top:

Kessler
Klitschkos
Adamek
Hatton
Pavlik
Calzaghe
Froch
Povetkin
Kovalev

Those are just some that pop into my head. Obviously not a ton of Americans there (Pavlik) but some of those guys come from lower- or middle-class upbringing.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Combat sports? Football and boxers are two are real combat sports. Video games are not reality any more than Cowboys and Indians were when I was a kid.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:18 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Whites that have recently or still are champions of the world or are at the top:

Kessler
Klitschkos
Adamek
Hatton
Pavlik
Calzaghe
Froch
Povetkin
Kovalev

Those are just some that pop into my head. Obviously not a ton of Americans there (Pavlik) but some of those guys come from lower- or middle-class upbringing.
Yep Pavlik is one white Ameo. But even then he does not fall to the usual WASP American since he is of slovak descent. And yes age that there are many Whie American of working class. Alot of them are into combat sports just like blacks and latinos yet they get beat by them. In the mid 2000s most UFC fighters were White. But now they are slowly being overtaken by blacks, and latinos. Will the same thing happen like it did in boxing? Why is that?

Old 09-08-2014, 07:06 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 573,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Yep Pavlik is one white Ameo. But even then he does not fall to the usual WASP American since he is of slovak descent. And yes age that there are many Whie American of working class. Alot of them are into combat sports just like blacks and latinos yet they get beat by them. In the mid 2000s most UFC fighters were White. But now they are slowly being overtaken by blacks, and latinos. Will the same thing happen like it did in boxing? Why is that?
I'm a little confused. I am of 100% Slovak ancestry and I always thought I was considered "white". (born/raised in Western PA, not far from Pavlik's Youngstown, OH)

"White" is a vague term. Making broad statements about white people can be a tricky endeavor. Eastern Europeans are gentically different than Western Europeans. I'm not saying we're genetically better or worse than other white people in any area, but we are different. We have had more mixing with different ethnicities over the centuries.

People of Southern European ancestry are genetically different as well, yet they are still considered "white".

Old 09-08-2014, 09:36 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
I'm a little confused. I am of 100% Slovak ancestry and I always thought I was considered "white". (born/raised in Western PA, not far from Pavlik's Youngstown, OH)

"White" is a vague term. Making broad statements about white people can be a tricky endeavor. Eastern Europeans are gentically different than Western Europeans. I'm not saying we're genetically better or worse than other white people in any area, but we are different. We have had more mixing with different ethnicities over the cen
People of Southern European ancestry are genetically different as well, yet they are still considered "white".
Yes you ae white. You are not any less or more whiter than other whites. . What i meant was that traditional white american WASP who are of English, Ireland, and German desc

Old 09-08-2014, 10:14 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,606 times
Quote:
Again i don't think its a financial case. The British and the Japanese are two very developed countries and they are still a powerhouse in boxing. Their poor have a stronger safety net than the poor in America yet they excel at combat sports

Not all White Americana are rich. White Americans have more poor in TOTAL NUMBERS than black americans and hispanic americans and they take interest in combat sports like them and they still lack behind.
American boxing just plain sucks these days. There are no more great ones or "transcendant athletes" in boxing. My theory is that the money has gone elsewhere. The purses in the 1960's were more than an athlete could imagine in any other sport... This is back when Joe Namath probably made just a little bit more than the sportswriters. Why in the world would any young athlete want to "live like a fighter" for McDonalds money nowadays when there are a lot more paying gigs with guaranteed contracts and health benefits elsewhere? Americans don't focus on boxing unless they have nothing else. I doubt that white Americans are under-represented in boxing championships due to a broad generalization about the race and nationality or that they are excluded by the prowess of other races and nationalities. What you're describing is a complex algorithm and there aren't simple answers except for simple people.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Yes you ae white. You are not any less or more whiter than other whites. . What i meant was that traditional white american WASP who are of English, Ireland, and German desc
Well, no...

WASP would refer to someone of Anglo-Saxon descent who is a member of a protestant congregation. Irish and germans are definitionally excluded. More narrowly, it really describes people from families of some considerable wealth. By way of illustration, a po-boy from Boston with an English surname isn't WASP-y, but the Hah-vud grad with the blazer and khakis who was a all-Ivy rower probably is.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:28 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Quote:

Anti-Irish sentiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Demographics of the Republic of Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Late, Great American WASP - WSJ

White Anglo-Saxon Protestant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Irish ain't W.A.S.P.s (Maybe orange men might be an exception). And they would be quite insulted to be lumped into that group.

Before you try to make a racially charged thread/statement, check your facts first.

Last edited by baystater; 09-08-2014 at 11:56 AM..

Old 09-08-2014, 08:51 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
While the OP did not do a lot or research their question is still valid:

Quote:
Yes right now White Americans are well established in mma. But will they be overtaken just like it happen in boxing??
I believe the answer based on the last 5 years of MMA is a resounding yes. There is a certain DNA does better in combat sports

Old 09-08-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
While the OP did not do a lot or research their question is still valid:

I believe the answer based on the last 5 years of MMA is a resounding yes. There is a certain DNA does better in combat sports
Gracie DNA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)