Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 07:32 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 574,137 times

Advertisements

I guess the obvious answer is money, but how much money due lower-level and mid-level fighters make per fight? You would think that after a few bad losses they would realize that they should probably find a different way to make to money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 06:03 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
This is just silly.

Why do mid/low level basketball players go to Europe, China, Australia to play basketball? Why do mid/low level guys stay on the practice squad of nfl teams? Or why do they go to the CFL?

Why do lower/mid level boxers stay in boxing fighting 4 rounders for penny's?

All these people have the same thing as those mma fighters, they have a dreams and they love the sports.

A very good friend of mine, Felipe costa, never won a Jiu Jitsu tournament coming up. His first gold medal came as a black belt at the world championships. He's now a multiple time world champ who does seminars all over the world making $2500-5000 almost every weekend doing what he loves.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:31 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
This is just silly.

Why do mid/low level basketball players go to Europe, China, Australia to play basketball? Why do mid/low level guys stay on the practice squad of nfl teams? Or why do they go to the CFL?

Why do lower/mid level boxers stay in boxing fighting 4 rounders for penny's?

All these people have the same thing as those mma fighters, they have a dreams and they love the sports.

A very good friend of mine, Felipe costa, never won a Jiu Jitsu tournament coming up. His first gold medal came as a black belt at the world championships. He's now a multiple time world champ who does seminars all over the world making $2500-5000 almost every weekend doing what he loves.
No it's not silly and you are missing my point entirely. Basketball players and Jiu Jitsu (non-contact)participants can take part in those sports without a serious health risk. I'm talking specifically about low-level MMA fighters and Boxers (I'll through in Football too since you mentioned it) that are literally getting knocked out and concussed on a regular basis. Those kind of people might have dreams, but I doubt they enjoy sustaining head trauma every couple of weeks. My whole point is why would someone endanger their long term health for a very small paycheck? I can understand if you are a top-notch fighter that brings home top dollar but I don't understand guys that make peanuts and continue to volunteer to get their head smashed in. Chris Borland (49ers) realized that millions of dollars weren't worth the risk of long term brain injury.

Last edited by bigben1234; 04-03-2015 at 06:41 AM..

Old 04-03-2015, 03:11 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
youve never played basketball nor trained jiu jitsu apparently?

youve never chased a dream nor persevered in an attempt at that dream clearly.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:27 PM

33 posts, read 36,334 times
Most people who train seriously, are kind of addicted. lol Theres an element of obsessive perfectionism and pride that is easily channelled into this type of sport. The no quitting mentality it takes to get though one fight ( even though you often "change your mind the second the fight starts) often carries over into a persons lifestyle. If you lose you go home watch the fight video excessively make adjustments then try again. When you stop...you think about how that makes you a failure. That same thing that makes you put your safety and at risk voluntarily by locking yourself in a cage wit another person who is trying to do some serious damage is what keeps you going back once that damage has been done. Sometimes it makes it worse. I don't do MMA or Boxing because of this, I know theres no turning back. If you train for fun and stand out, there are loads of people pushing you to KEEP GOING. I stick to Bjj and even then its an issue, the money is non existent yet I've put my life on hold several times to train and compete, and when i stop to catch up in "life" the gilt is hard to deal with.I always end up going back and spending what ever money i have made on making sure I'm free to train and compete. The Money in MMA crap for women and low level menl btw most work other jobs. My boyfriend is a BJJ black belt and gets crazy anxiety at the tought of not training at least once a day...his life is built around it even though it doesn't pay the bills. the guy has had 3 knee surgeries and only has 2 knees!

I myself have dislocated my shoulders and wrists several times and don't even bother going to the doctor because I know they will just tell me to stop training. Its a whole lifestyle, a mindset. the fight is one thing but even the weight cutting and diet require a certain kind of obsessive tendency. Sometimes you just can't stop even if you know deep down its destroying you. I also think its WAY worst for people who have had at least one win. Its rare you see someone keep going after 3 consecutive losses unless they have a win to hang onto.

In short, it can become an obsessive way of seeing some kind of validation and sense of self esteem that is easily unhealthy dangerous and even counter productive if your not careful.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
youve never played basketball nor trained jiu jitsu apparently?

youve never chased a dream nor persevered in an attempt at that dream clearly.
I used to do Jiu Jitsu every week when I was in the Army (I meant to write most jiu jitsu is non-striking, not non-contact in my first post). I also wrestled from Middle School through High School. I have friends that do MMA and Boxing. I am not anti-MMA and Boxing. I know some people who aren't very good at MMA/Boxing, and they continue to lose and get knocked out and they won't even consider any other career path. I just think that kind of mentality is a little reckless.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:58 PM

390 posts, read 506,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
My whole point is why would someone endanger their long term health for a very small paycheck? I can understand if you are a top-notch fighter that brings home top dollar but I don't understand guys that make peanuts and continue to volunteer to get their head smashed in. Chris Borland (49ers) realized that millions of dollars weren't worth the risk of long term brain injury.

It's fun baby, fun.

Do you think that a Medical Doctor is one of these low level MMA fighters, getting pummeled for little pay, that you're talking about? It could be, if that's his passion, but very rare....man, these guys are dudes who works at Taco Bell and just want to maybe have a chance at something better. Even if they don't have a chance in hell, it's still more fun & glamorous than whatever else they're capable of. This is just the truth. Like Muay Thai fighters in Thailand who racks up 300-400 fights before they retire at 40, and feeling like a 70 year old with acute arthritis all over + brain damage....what other choices do they have when a GOOD PAYING job is $2/hour at a factory, in Thailand. Most can't even get such $2/hour job, and make much less selling junk on the streets. There are way more opportunities in the USA, but hell, do you think that the average guy with a 2.0-2.5 GPA in high school can just magically get a 3.0 in just a State University, majoring in something worthwhile (therefore, no liberal arts BS)?

Combat sports has always been the poor man's sport. Rich kids, generally, don't risk getting their brains bashed in for their livelihood and glory. This is just the truth.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:27 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
It's fun baby, fun.

Do you think that a Medical Doctor is one of these low level MMA fighters, getting pummeled for little pay, that you're talking about? It could be, if that's his passion, but very rare....man, these guys are dudes who works at Taco Bell and just want to maybe have a chance at something better. Even if they don't have a chance in hell, it's still more fun & glamorous than whatever else they're capable of. This is just the truth. Like Muay Thai fighters in Thailand who racks up 300-400 fights before they retire at 40, and feeling like a 70 year old with acute arthritis all over + brain damage....what other choices do they have when a GOOD PAYING job is $2/hour at a factory, in Thailand. Most can't even get such $2/hour job, and make much less selling junk on the streets. There are way more opportunities in the USA, but hell, do you think that the average guy with a 2.0-2.5 GPA in high school can just magically get a 3.0 in just a State University, majoring in something worthwhile (therefore, no liberal arts BS)?

Combat sports has always been the poor man's sport. Rich kids, generally, don't risk getting their brains bashed in for their livelihood and glory. This is just the truth.

Not the truth, that is an opinion which can be proven bad by looking at BJ Penn.

Last edited by Mach50; 06-04-2015 at 10:36 AM..

Old 06-04-2015, 10:42 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
For the same reason people do any sport, they love the sport and the challange. I the end it is not about winning or money,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)