Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:43 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times

Advertisements

Mma fighter without a doubt!

Same as an eagle vs a worm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 07:33 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think the toughest matchup for any MMA champion would be Mike Tyson. A very talented kickboxer might be able to keep him on the outside (if not KO him) with kicks to the legs and the occasional kick upstairs. A grappler would need to get him on the canvas immediately. There is no margin for error there.

I'd still put my money on the MMA fighter (if we're talking about champions here, not your ordinary, run of the mill fighter). But against Mike Tyson, I wouldn't favor them that much. All Tyson would need is for the fight to become a midrange fight for a few seconds. With 4 oz gloves, some teeth are coming out and some jaws and ribs are going to be broken.

And of course, we know Mike isn't above biting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51090bGcoR8
google tyson talking about fighting mma.

he would disagree with you

Old 12-07-2015, 07:43 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
google tyson talking about fighting mma.

he would disagree with you
I didn't say Mike Tyson would win against MMA champion. I said that he would probably present the biggest challenge to an MMA fighter. And I gave my reasons for that.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I didn't say Mike Tyson would win against MMA champion. I said that he would probably present the biggest challenge to an MMA fighter. And I gave my reasons for that.
and i said tyson would disagree with you.

there, now we have both clarified what it was we said a week ago.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:52 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I don't mean any offense, but that's a ridiculous comparison.

It's like saying, world tennis champion vs. world badminton champion....who wins at tennis?

World taekwondo champion vs world fencing champion...who wins at fencing?

World Starcraft 2 champion vs. world Command and Conquer Champion...who wins at Starcraft 2? And so on.

Boxing and MMA are similar, but different. The boxing champion wins at boxing. The MMA champion wins in an MMA match. Sure, one can train in the skills necessary to succeed at their counterparts' specialty, but as rigas said, they're no longer strictly practicing their own art anymore.
Not really the best comparisons above for the sake of discussion. However, for anybody with any real and practical experience in the fight game, the matchup of a MMA champ with a Boxing pro is always subject to debate.

The comparisons you have cited are pure knee-Jerk reactions typically displayed by those with minimal understanding of the world of combat sports.

Obviously, you would need to brush up on your knowledge of all sports , my friend, as it comes off , despite the bravado , as puerile and ill informed at the very best.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:14 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,052 times
I think Hivemind nails it.

If it is a "boxing match" then the boxer has the edge.

If it is an MMA bout, the cage fighter has the edge.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:11 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
would this be regarding regular sized fighters or midget/dwarfs?
Wait one minute! There is dwarf MMA?! Why am I just now discovering this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BptnZbONZmo

Old 12-09-2015, 06:06 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Not really the best comparisons above for the sake of discussion. However, for anybody with any real and practical experience in the fight game, the matchup of a MMA champ with a Boxing pro is always subject to debate.

The comparisons you have cited are pure knee-Jerk reactions typically displayed by those with minimal understanding of the world of combat sports.

Obviously, you would need to brush up on your knowledge of all sports , my friend, as it comes off , despite the bravado , as puerile and ill informed at the very best.
This kind of matchup had been going on for decades in Brazil and in underground Vale Tudo matches in the US before MMA became popular via the UFC in the US and, then, world-wide.

Mostly it was submission grapplers/Vale Tudo fighters vs. pure strikers (boxers, Muay Thai fighters, Karetekas). The pure strikers pretty much lost every time.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:34 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times
It depends on the athlete, but in order to compete effectively, a boxer would likely have to use more than just punches to win the fight against a skilled MMA practitioner.

But at the end of the day, it really depends on athletic ability and intelligence. I think Mayweather could very well make the transition to MMA with his dedication and intelligence. He would likely come in well prepared and surprise everyone; however, his style would be incredibly negative.

But why make the transition? Mayweather is perfectly comfortable hyping up a forgettable fight in boxing and making millions of dollars. What would be the purpose of him at 38 years old, making that transition?

MMA is terrible on the body. I can only imagine the insurmountable stress it puts on your joints. Even kicking seems like it would destroy your ankles and knees. I knew amateur MMA fighters that didn't have any issues in boxing, but had multiple surgeries in his knees and shoulders after doing MMA.

It's a stupid sport. As dumb as boxing is, MMA might just be dumber.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
It depends on the athlete, but in order to compete effectively, a boxer would likely have to use more than just punches to win the fight against a skilled MMA practitioner.

But at the end of the day, it really depends on athletic ability and intelligence. I think Mayweather could very well make the transition to MMA with his dedication and intelligence. He would likely come in well prepared and surprise everyone; however, his style would be incredibly negative.

But why make the transition? Mayweather is perfectly comfortable hyping up a forgettable fight in boxing and making millions of dollars. What would be the purpose of him at 38 years old, making that transition?

MMA is terrible on the body. I can only imagine the insurmountable stress it puts on your joints. Even kicking seems like it would destroy your ankles and knees. I knew amateur MMA fighters that didn't have any issues in boxing, but had multiple surgeries in his knees and shoulders after doing MMA.

It's a stupid sport. As dumb as boxing is, MMA might just be dumber.
So silly.

Mayweather and intelligent don't belong in the same paragraph let alone sentence.

Boxing is leaps and bounds worse on the body (head especially) than mma.
Look at ALI, prime example, compared to say helio Gracie who fought bare knuckles, and specifically Jiu Jitsu from youth until 94 years old. He trained, fought, rolled his entire life. He was not broken down, moved very well and was as cognizant and focused as he ever was up until his death.

Hell compare James toney to Randy couture, both did their respective sports for similar lengths of time, are a similar age, but look at the wear on toney vs Randy.

The examples go on and on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)