Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 04:44 PM

31,891 posts, read 34,405,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Look at the vast majority of dominant mma champions, almost every one of them has a wrestling/bjj/grappling background.
I don't doubt the majority of dominant MMA champions have a wrestling/BJJ/grappling background, but I *do* doubt that all of them have such a background. By contrast, there are no former wrestlers winning belts in pro boxing.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 08-30-2017 at 04:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Actually in one of those WWE press conferences, Mayweather said he would fight him in a cage.

However, he and everyone knows that Mayweather has 0 chance in a cage whereas McGregor did have a legitimate slight chance of winning in the right. I have no interest in seeing Mayweather just show up to get ****ed up in a cage, itd be rediculous.
McGregor had zero chance of winning.

Other than that, I agree with this post. Mayweather wouldn't be good at MMA even with training due to his reluctance to throw combinations. I could easily see someone walking in to tie him up and then slamming him down. He's a pure boxer.

Someone I think might have more success, assuming they received some basic training in takedown defense, would be Manny Pacquiao. I'm not saying that Pacquiao wouldn't be vulnerable to takedowns or an effective grappler--I think Pacquiao is the type of fighter who could easily overwhelm a non-boxer with volume and power in the event a takedown attempt failed.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:14 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't doubt the majority of dominant MMA champions have a wrestling/BJJ/grappling background, but I *do* doubt that all of them have such a background. By contrast, there are no former wrestlers winning belts in pro boxing.
Nope never said all of them, I said the vast majority

I do believe Tyson fury has a wrestling background

An additional fact, once a pure boxer starts training wrestling, he is no longer a pure wrestler, he is an mma fighter.

No pure boxer will have success in mma, but several mma fighters have had success to an extent if nothing else in boxing.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Nope never said all of them, I said the vast majority
By implication, that means that some MMA champions have not had a background in wrestling, BJJ or grappling. Which boxing champions have had a background in wrestling?

Quote:
I do believe Tyson fury has a wrestling background
I've never heard of that before. Tyson Fury comes from a family of boxers, so I'm fairly confident he comes from a boxing background. And I believe it was Fury who said that MMA was for guys who couldn't box anyway.

Quote:
An additional fact, once a pure boxer starts training wrestling, he is no longer a pure wrestler, he is an mma fighter.

No pure boxer will have success in mma, but several mma fighters have had success to an extent if nothing else in boxing.
You're shifting the argument here. The argument was never that a pure boxer--who just goes into the octagon and fights as a boxer--would succeed in MMA. Your claim was that making the transition from striker to grappler would be easier than the other way around. I think the fact that fighters who had boxing and/or kickboxing as their foundation who have gone on to win titles in MMA sort of puts that theory to rest, no?

The thing about MMA is that you don't necessarily have to the best at one thing. You can be more of a striker like Cro Cop who has very limited grappling skills. Or you can be a grappler who has unpolished striking skills. To be a boxer, you actually have to be good at, you know, boxing. So the idea that someone from a BJJ background can compete against guys who have come up through Silver Gloves, Golden Gloves, the Olympics, etc. is a bit ridiculous IMO.

The only exception would probably be the HW division in boxing, which lacks the talent of the lower divisions (probably b/c bigger guys are more attracted to football and other sports).

Old 08-30-2017, 06:11 PM

I also think a big difference between boxing and MMA is that there isn't really an amateur counterpart for the latter. Boxers start plying their craft from the age of 8 years old (sometimes younger) and up. While there are martial artists who start TKD/BJJ/Judo etc. from an early age, that's not the same as actually doing what fighters do in the octagon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38RlJ8ZMRjU

Old 08-30-2017, 09:07 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,171,772 times
One thing I do know is that Mayweather would be one punching a lot of people. You seen McGregor's head look like it was about to pop off when Mayweather landed his shots. What you think it would be like with 4 oz gloves?

Old 09-01-2017, 06:50 AM

811 posts, read 731,726 times
Mayweather would have a hard time getting close enough to land those type of shots in an octagon. A few good hard leg kicks would back him off real quick, he has never fought anybody in a situation where he had to worry about getting kicked in the head.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I also think a big difference between boxing and MMA is that there isn't really an amateur counterpart for the latter. Boxers start plying their craft from the age of 8 years old (sometimes younger) and up. While there are martial artists who start TKD/BJJ/Judo etc. from an early age, that's not the same as actually doing what fighters do in the octagon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38RlJ8ZMRjU
Boxing has been around and prevalent for 4x as long as mma (in its current iteration) that said, there's a pretty healthy amature circuit already and youth mma is coming along in the form of youth pancration.
Pancreas is far far older than boxing but has been lost over time due to the growing popularity of "traditional" martial arts. I.e. Kung/gung fu jujutsu etc

Old 09-01-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
One thing I do know is that Mayweather would be one punching a lot of people. You seen McGregor's head look like it was about to pop off when Mayweather landed his shots. What you think it would be like with 4 oz gloves?
That's silly. Mayweather isn't "one punching" anyone. You can't make up your mind about fighting in general. You need to dojo storm a mma school. See how that works out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
Mayweather would have a hard time getting close enough to land those type of shots in an octagon. A few good hard leg kicks would back him off real quick, he has never fought anybody in a situation where he had to worry about getting kicked in the head.
Very true. A boxers power comes from his legs, mayweather would not show up to the 2nd round Bell if you spent 5 minutes of just leg kicks.

Then take into account a boxers natural instincts are to clinch to get a break. Who is mayweather doing to clinch in an mma cage? Best he could do is run like hell and pray to catch a lucky shot and stun someone.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:49 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,171,772 times
Quote:
That's silly. Mayweather isn't "one punching" anyone. You can't make up your mind about fighting in general. You need to dojo storm a mma school. See how that works out for you.

Very true. A boxers power comes from his legs, mayweather would not show up to the 2nd round Bell if you spent 5 minutes of just leg kicks.

Then take into account a boxers natural instincts are to clinch to get a break. Who is mayweather doing to clinch in an mma cage? Best he could do is run like hell and pray to catch a lucky shot and stun someone.
How you figure Mayweather isn't one punching anyone? He punches harder than McGregor, the supposed most dominant power puncher in MMA.

You completely underestimate hand skills and ability and movement.

Look at McGregor, he dominates primarily with boxing.

And I don't understand how you act as if boxers can't learn kicks. It's not that hard. I know how to kick with correct form. You either got balance and ability or you don't.

I mean, it's like any sport.

Now, I'll give you jujitsu. That takes a lot of time to learn, but if you know how to strike you can learn kicks pretty easily. I mean, checking kicks isn't exactly brain surgery. You just lift your leg up. Also, it's about angles. I see how McGregor does it. It's angles. In boxing, it's angles. Angles are everything in fighting unless you're a pure wrestler, and even then, I'm sure it's about angles.

I don't think you put enough emphasis on individual ability. It's like those stories that you hear where athletes come in to the jujitsu gym and within 2 weeks are dominating everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)