Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 04:37 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,171,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about.
It's not that I can't do it, it's that NOBODY does it.
It's very simple, a boxing stance leaves your entire leg and body wide open to kicks, and minimizes the power you can create.

Has nothing to do with hating boxing or loving it, it has to do with the fact that you obviously have zero idea what you're talking about. You're talking like IM the only person out there who says a boxing stance won't work in mma. If a boxing stance worked in mma, people would use it. Amature and pros would use it... NOBODY uses it. Why don't they use it? Because it's a BAD POSITION for an mma fight.
All that talk of what you can do in a boxing ring tells us all you have zero idea what mma is or what works... but in the bias hater...

Where do you live? What city? I'll find you a local gym, you can go try out your boxing stance power kicks... tell me how that works out.
There is only one boxing stance?

Lol.

You don't understand the sport. McGregor dominates the sport with boxing.

But I guess boxing doesn't work.

You just don't respect the sport. Let's just leave at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 07:10 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
There is only one boxing stance?

Lol.

You don't understand the sport. McGregor dominates the sport with boxing.

But I guess boxing doesn't work.

You just don't respect the sport. Let's just leave at that.
We're not talking left vs right etc, a boxing stance and a kick boxing stance are totally and completely different period.
But you know better than every mma coach and practitioner ever.

Pat militich was even talking about it at tjevweigh ins for this fight.

Mcgregor isn't dominating mma with boxing, he's a kick boxer, from straight blast gym.
Do you know where the term straight blast comes from?
Jeet kun do, or JKD, created by Bruce Lee. Not a boxing gym.

Instructors

Show me his boxing specific coach?

It's got nothing to do with respect for boxing it's got everything to do with boxing in a boxing ring and boxing in an mma cage are fundamentally different. Traditional boxing DOES NOT WORK in mma. If it worked, people would focus more strictly on straight traditional boxing. Instead they focus on kick boxing styles such as Muay Thai.

Again, where do you live? I'll give you a list of gyms you're welcome to go try personally. That's the only way you're going to understand.

I've been in this sport for years and years. I've wrestled, bjj, judo, sambo, some Muay Thai, some TKD, and a tiny bit of boxing. I have a pretty good grasp on what works and what doesn't in an mma cage.

I'm also very good friends with fighters like Tim creduer, Ricardo liborio, Tim Kennedy, chris Brennan, cat zingano...

Old 09-03-2017, 09:36 AM

64 posts, read 49,296 times
he failed the UFC, he should retire and never show himself in public, I'm not buying ANY UFC paperview ever again, UFC has been exposed for not having high quality fighters, Ronda Rousey? She failed. Anderson Silva? He failed, watching him fight now is embarrassing. I don't even watch his fights, he loses many of them. Conor McGregor? The whole boxing whole is laughing at him for not even being able to last 12 rounds, that's embarrassing. He got TKO, that's embarrassing.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:42 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,171,772 times
Speaking of Anderson Silva (who some say is the GOAT) and even Nick Diaz, what kind of stances do they have?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6vhR7rLIcw

Old 09-03-2017, 04:33 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Speaking of Anderson Silva (who some say is the GOAT) and even Nick Diaz, what kind of stances do they have?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6vhR7rLIcw
Anderson silva is a Muay Thai fighter formerly out of the chute box camp.
Not a boxing stance.

Still trying I see...

One more time. What city? I'll find you a place to give yourself a chance. Otherwise you're embarrassing yourself with ignorance on the subject of mma.

Go try it, I PROMISE you'll come away with a different perspective

Old 09-05-2017, 11:02 AM

31,891 posts, read 34,405,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
It's very simple, a boxing stance leaves your entire leg and body wide open to kicks, and minimizes the power you can create.
What is a "boxing" stance? If you mean a more "bladed" stance where the body is turned more sideways, then you definitely see that in MMA. In boxing, more defensive fighters (Mayweather, Whitaker, Rigo, etc.) will turn more sideways while more aggressive fighters (Tyson) will square up a lot more. Tyson often fought standing completely parallel to his opponent.

https://fat.gfycat.com/LegalEminentCurlew.gif

Old 09-05-2017, 11:39 AM

31,891 posts, read 34,405,589 times
I also think we should refrain from making absolute statements like "a sideways stance doesn't" work since all stances have their trade offs. Conor McGregor utilizes a sideways stance and it has worked out very well for him.

There's a certain logic to "a guy will kick your front leg off" but it seems to me that this depends on the athlete. The only way a guy can kick your leg off is if he's in range to kick your leg off. A very mobile fighter could do very well in a sideways stance since it allows you to move backwards much easier than a more squared stance.

The problem with the boxing to MMA transition IMO isn't the footwork. If anything, MMA is looking to emulate boxing's footwork to some extent. The biggest problem as I see it tends to be the fact that boxers will instinctively bend at the waist to evade punches, which could obviously be devastating when knees are permissible.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:22 PM

64 posts, read 49,296 times
Conor McGregor is suffering a brain injury, this is what Dan White has said recently. This is embarrassing to the UFC and to Conor McGregor. He got paid to get punished by Floyd. Floyd is a REAL winner, Conor is nothing compared to him, just a former plumber who got rich thanks to Floyd Mayweather. I am no longer a UFC fan after Conor lost. Floyd exposed him and the UFC. MMA is for those who can't make it in boxing so they find a safer sport that doesn't require great skills.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:13 AM

11,191 posts, read 9,007,370 times
Every fighter in the UFC either wants to fight Conor for a big money fight or are copying him via wanting super-fights, trying to win 2 belts in 2 divisions, etc.

Nate Diaz does not want to fight anyone but Conor and wants a lot of money for it. Nate could have developed his brand and commanded a higher pay rate for himself but NOPE. He would rather ride the coattails of Conor. Conor has a lot to lose here. If he loses his next MMA fight then his brand will diminish a little. I feel like Nate will be out for blood in the trilogy fight and would go out of his way to embarrass Conor. If the UFC and Conor are smart they would want an easy fight.

UFC needs to have Conor defend his belt or remove the belt from him. No more interim belts.

I would love to see a rematch between Jose Aldo and Conor Mcgregor. Have him fight the winner of Ferguson vs Lee.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:37 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,577,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostSpot View Post
Conor McGregor is suffering a brain injury, this is what Dan White has said recently. This is embarrassing to the UFC and to Conor McGregor. He got paid to get punished by Floyd. Floyd is a REAL winner, Conor is nothing compared to him, just a former plumber who got rich thanks to Floyd Mayweather. I am no longer a UFC fan after Conor lost. Floyd exposed him and the UFC. MMA is for those who can't make it in boxing so they find a safer sport that doesn't require great skills.
I choose to believe you actually believe this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)