Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 11:55 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times

Advertisements

The covering technique appears similar to something that was taught in a drill in one of the "self defense" classes that's offered at my mma gym. The drill was to simulate a close quarters situation where you're up against a wall and you cover and block using almost a shampooing-your-head kind of motion (keeping arm close to your ear and elbow out in front to protect your head). Then you transition to get behind the person and take them to the mat, where you then flow into jiu jitsu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 05:49 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Go to a boxing gym and spar. Some of those guys will try and take your head off, so you'll either learn or you won't.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Go to a boxing gym and spar. Some of those guys will try and take your head off, so you'll either learn or you won't.
Telling someone untrained to just go spar with boxers and either sink or swim is terrible advice.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:37 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
That block in the first post is so horrible, it makes me want to cry.

People actually teach this? lol.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:13 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Telling someone untrained to just go spar with boxers and either sink or swim is terrible advice.
Is it? I don't know if it is or not because probably most champs today were confronted with this situation. First boxing gym I went to I had to spar right away.

However, I probably wouldn't run my gym like this, so I do agree.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Is it? I don't know if it is or not because probably most champs today were confronted with this situation. First boxing gym I went to I had to spar right away.

Pretty **** poor gym then.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:

Fighting noob though I am, I think it's pretty self evident that sparring is important to your development. But I think in learning self defense telling someone to just go flail around and either they'll pick it up or not isn't helpful. I think it'd be far more helpful to at least teach someone the basics of their stance, footwork, ducking and slipping punches before just throwing them into sparring. Fighting's a teachable skill.

It'd be like if someone asked about the "best way to defend against someone trying to tackle me," and saying just go to a gym with a "bunch of freestyle wrestlers and start sparring, either you'll get it or you won't."

I'm just happy to be having a conversation in this forum, it's always so dead lol.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:29 PM

390 posts, read 505,864 times
Quote:

Many old school Boxing gyms are like this, especially in working class neighborhoods and rough 'hoods. The Coaches there don't have time for BS and want to see if someone has heart before they waste their time. They have no problem feeding someone brand new who don't know ****, to spar vs. a fighter who's getting ready for the fight; and he'll go for the KO for practice and to boost his confidence. If you come back, then you'll probably get noticed.

Of course if you offer to pay a premium over the others, then you get the special treatment and hand holding. There's a reason why Boxing gym dues are only like $50/month w/no contract, vs. $150/mo. for MMA/Jitsu gyms.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:30 PM

390 posts, read 505,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Pretty **** poor gym then.

Wrong, these are the gyms where many Champion are made, not to mention tons of high level contenders. That's just how Boxing is.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
Many old school Boxing gyms are like this, especially in working class neighborhoods and rough 'hoods. The Coaches there don't have time for BS and want to see if someone has heart before they waste their time. They have no problem feeding someone brand new who don't know ****, to spar vs. a fighter who's getting ready for the fight; and he'll go for the KO for practice and to boost his confidence. If you come back, then you'll probably get noticed.

Of course if you offer to pay a premium over the others, then you get the special treatment and hand holding. There's a reason why Boxing gym dues are only like $50/month w/no contract, vs. $150/mo. for MMA/Jitsu gyms.
It's interesting, I just had a conversation with my MMA coach about this. When I was researching boxing and other combat sports gyms in NYC to join, I noticed that I came away with a different impression of so-called "old school boxing gyms" than I did from the other arts. Essentially, the impression I got was that for the most part you come in and train on your own, and maybe you can work with a trainer if you're willing to pay for private sessions. The culture of BJJ on the other hand seems very different. BJJ was designed to help even those who don't have innate natural athletic ability to fight technically against those who are more physically dominant (whether in the form of athleticism or size). It's very welcoming and everybody sucks in the beginning. Even with MMA gyms in general, the model they seem to be based around is one of instruction that caters to people of all skill levels.

My coach told me it's because boxing has traditionally had the "prize fighter mentality." Essentially, it means the trainers will only work with you if they see that you have natural talent. Because the coaches want to work with the people who will make them money. To me, this sounds about right. I trust my coach's opinion on this, as he's dedicated his life to martial arts and has such a passion for the history of combat sports.

So, I'm not so sure that it's due to some school of hard knocks, no-nonsense mentality like you're describing that coaches at boxing gyms may just throw you in there. It could also be that boxing gyms generally only want to put time and energy into developing natural athletes who they know will be good. Throwing someone in right away who sucks will demoralize that person and as a result weed them out. I don't think they're necessarily looking for "heart," but rather, talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
Wrong, these are the gyms where many Champion are made, not to mention tons of high level contenders. That's just how Boxing is.
I think you're right on this for the reasons I noted above, but I also think boxus is right. These gyms are likely poor options for the average person that actually wants to learn to box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)