Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 06:00 PM

46 posts, read 44,714 times

Advertisements

It's embarrassing watching him fight now. He's hurting his legacy. He should have retired years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 07:10 PM

8,330 posts, read 2,959,252 times
He loves it. It's his passion. He knows he's not as good as he once was and doesn't care. It's more important for him to keep fighting. Cudos to him.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:47 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralProjection View Post
It's embarrassing watching him fight now. He's hurting his legacy. He should have retired years ago.
How was it embarrassing? He put up a good fight against Israel. Imagine if PEDs were legal.

IMO, there should be a senior MMA league in which only the veterans can fight each other.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:22 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Silva is a God but he should have retired 4 or 5 fights ago imho.

I was super disappointed in the Israel fight, they were too focused on showboating and not enough fighting. It was embarrassing to watch imho.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:54 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
How was it embarrassing? He put up a good fight against Israel. Imagine if PEDs were legal.

IMO, there should be a senior MMA league in which only the veterans can fight each other.
+1, Anderson impressed for 43 years old. Unlike the debacle that was the Liddell-Ortiz fight.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:23 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times
Because Dana (I'm scum) White can exploit his name and history for money. As soon as the demand is gone, then Silva will be done. Dana White would put his mother in the cage if it would sell. Bellator is better.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:48 PM

8,330 posts, read 2,959,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Because Dana (I'm scum) White can exploit his name and history for money. As soon as the demand is gone, then Silva will be done. Dana White would put his mother in the cage if it would sell. Bellator is better.
Bingo. Dana White would slurp a **** for a dollar. I remember him being asked about Cain Velasquez' tat, 'BROWN PRIDE' and how he'd react if a white guy had a similar tat. He had a fit talking about what a racist dirtbag white guy that would be but it's ok for Cain. I'm been enjoying Bellator and it's free unlike the overpriced UFC circus where the best fighters rarely fight each other. Great tournament Bellator recently had. They avoid politics so far and many UfC guys are leaving UFC for B.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Bingo. Dana White would slurp a **** for a dollar. I remember him being asked about Cain Velasquez' tat, 'BROWN PRIDE' and how he'd react if a white guy had a similar tat. He had a fit talking about what a racist dirtbag white guy that would be but it's ok for Cain. I'm been enjoying Bellator and it's free unlike the overpriced UFC circus where the best fighters rarely fight each other. Great tournament Bellator recently had. They avoid politics so far and many UfC guys are leaving UFC for B.
Beyond your first sentence, I can't say I agree here. I won't get into the whole "brown pride" vs. white pride issue you raised, but with respect to the various fight promotions, UFC puts out a premium product. It's far better than Bellator. UFC simply has better fighters by and large. However, I'm glad that other promotions exist, because unless and until UFC fighters form a union, the threat of joining another promotion is the best way to ensure that they're compensated fairly.

Not only that, if you have an ESPN+ subscription, you can see a lot of good fights without the big PPV cards.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:29 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Beyond your first sentence, I can't say I agree here. I won't get into the whole "brown pride" vs. white pride issue you raised, but with respect to the various fight promotions, UFC puts out a premium product. It's far better than Bellator. UFC simply has better fighters by and large. However, I'm glad that other promotions exist, because unless and until UFC fighters form a union, the threat of joining another promotion is the best way to ensure that they're compensated fairly.

Not only that, if you have an ESPN+ subscription, you can see a lot of good fights without the big PPV cards.

I would not agree that UFC has better fighters. That's bull ******. Bellator has some really good fighters. Fighters that were winning all of their fights in the UFC. UFC promotes loud mouths like Connor. Connor can get his azz kicked every fight, and still Dana White will try to sell him as something special. UFC is a billion dollar industry that pays its fighters zilch. They have events on pay per view weekly to make money. They don't care about any of their fighters. They hardly give some of them time to get in shape. It's always about money. You can be a successful business and make money. You don't have to treat the very fighters making you all of that money like meat. Quite frankly, I think that Bellator is much better in every single way. They are not out to rape the public weekly with pay per views either.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 02-19-2019 at 06:38 PM..

Old 02-20-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I would not agree that UFC has better fighters. That's bull ******. Bellator has some really good fighters. Fighters that were winning all of their fights in the UFC. UFC promotes loud mouths like Connor. Connor can get his azz kicked every fight, and still Dana White will try to sell him as something special. UFC is a billion dollar industry that pays its fighters zilch. They have events on pay per view weekly to make money. They don't care about any of their fighters. They hardly give some of them time to get in shape. It's always about money. You can be a successful business and make money. You don't have to treat the very fighters making you all of that money like meat. Quite frankly, I think that Bellator is much better in every single way. They are not out to rape the public weekly with pay per views either.
I don't think you're wrong about Dana, in fact you're 100% right. I'm just saying that UFC puts out the best product, their fighters are categorically better. Period. It's pretty much inarguable barring any major change in the next couple years.

Some of the top Bellator guys though would contend in the UFC. Gegard Mousasi, Ryan Bader, Aaron Pico, and I think we're going to see former Bellator star Ben Askren do pretty well in the UFC.

Bottom line, you can't claim you're best in the world until you're a UFC champ. That's just facts. If Bellator was in the same league as UFC talent-wise, then they wouldn't be putting out so many fights with washed-up old dudes.

Like I said, however, I am grateful that Bellator exists, and I hope they continue to get more talent. It's good for everyone when there are multiple competitive promotions. As an aside, I think it would be cool if UFC had a tournament like Bellator did recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)