U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:42 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,031,039 times

Advertisements

i'm a pretty hardcore MMA/UFC fan. i did not order the last PPV, UFC 91. i have seen a lot of fan sites where people were saying that they werent going to order UFC 91 because overall it was just a weak card. the biggest problem with the card was that it featured fighters that even UFC/MMA fans have never heard of. it's like so and so vs who???. and it's on a PPV!

right now on Spike TV, the UFC has The Ultimate Fighter reality series, and UFC Uleashed - a compilation of fights from past PPVs. what it needs is a live weekly program to provide a stage for lesser known fighters who are already under contract with the UFC. that or have more of the live Friday Night Fights that air about every couple of months, and use those events to showcase unknown fighters - rather than have a PPV with one marquis match-up (which may have been considerred a gimmick match had Lesnar lost) and a bunch of unknowns. that way, it will strengthen PPV interest if people have some familiarity with the fighters on the card. every PPV should be stacked IMO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 04:56 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,498,619 times
I've been watching the fights on the internet. I'm not paying the PPV price ...well, i dont have a "box" so i couldnt even if i wanted to... but that's besides the point. Before I found them on the internet... i'd read the play by play in the morning... Dh would be able to find the video clips posted on web sites ... and of course, you'd catch them a few months or so later on Uleashed. So, i wont pay to see them.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:04 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,031,039 times
right, but a lot of people like to make an event out of it - and you cant have all of your friends gathered around your computer.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:42 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,498,619 times
OH -- i know... the last 2 that i've watched... it's just been me.

yeah -- kinda hard to have a "party" like atmosphere around a 6" window... but -- works for me.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:48 PM

716 posts, read 1,609,687 times
Is this garbage fad finally dying?

Old 11-25-2008, 09:34 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,941,020 times
but you know MMA is now offering a way for people who arent the greatest students or are stuck in a dead-end job, to make it big, get on TV, and be famous

I think MMA can ride out this recession for that reason

It is an economic opportunity

and if this recession turns to a depression, and eventual civil war, more and more people are gonna tune into mma for the angst

Old 11-26-2008, 05:21 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,716,470 times
I didn't order it either b/c I simply thought it was a weak event, not b/c I was too broke or lazy to order it. The next three I'll for sure be ordering just because they look like great events.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:42 PM
kbg

223 posts, read 308,141 times
Try sat. jamming out of Canada I do not recall ever dropping a dime on PPV's of any kind. But the last UFC was a joke when the best fight was some Amish kid chocking out a 'possum looking dope with even lesser skills because I've seen better bathroom brawls back in jr. high school! some look like dives lately to me?

Old 11-30-2008, 06:55 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,716,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg View Post
T the last UFC was a joke when the best fight was some Amish kid chocking out a 'possum looking dope with even lesser skills
Which fight was that?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:24 PM
kbg

223 posts, read 308,141 times
2 no-names, the one that won had a bushy red beard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)