U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 09:04 PM

7,912 posts, read 9,207,295 times

Advertisements

ok kimbo was gassed, and big country didnt have to fight that hard even though he didnt show that much, he didnt have to
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 09:40 PM

2,069 posts, read 6,433,851 times
Kimbo no ground skills at all, that will always be his downfall in the world of MMA. He will likely fight again this season. I give him credit for trying. Street fights are easy compared to fighting these experienced MMA guys.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:50 AM

word is he will be fighting officially in the ufc in december. dec is when the TUF finally is, and also ufc 107 so i wonder which one it will be lol.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:55 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,795,885 times
Roy has 20 fights (including a win over Mir), and Kimbo has 4 fights, and he barely lost this fight. I was actually impressed, Roy didnt show me to much, plus Herb Dean should have stood them up before he called that fight. Those pitty pat punches from Roy were weak, plus I think Kimbo actually hurt him a little.

If Kimbo could have a better ground game and stamina he could really be someting, but @ 35, probbaly not going to happen

Old 10-01-2009, 12:00 PM

kimbo barely lost this fight? what fight where you watching? kimbo got roy one time and roy completely owned him on the ground. if you watched before the fight roy was talking about how you dont actually have to hit them hard from the crucifix position, the rule says if you cant intelligently defend yourself it doesnt mater how hard they punch you. he was even slapping himself in the face showing all you have to do.

once the fight hit the ground it was over. hell IMO the ref should have stopped it at the end of the 1st but let it go to the bell to give kimbo the benefit of the doubt. NO WAY should the ref stand them up when ANY FIGHTER has as dominant a position as roy had kimbo (crucifix is VERY dominant regardless of how hard you are hitting someone.) kimbo did absolutely NOTHING the second they hit the ground, he let roy control him like a grown man in a kids jiu jitsu class.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:05 PM

oh and for the record, roy has 17 fights, and has no wins or even fights against frank mir.

Roy "Big Country" Nelson MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography, and More - Sherdog.com

maybe you are thinking of wes simms who says he beat frank twice, although he also says he will never let the truth get in the way of a good story lmao. (he lost to frank 2 times.)

Frank Mir MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography, and More - Sherdog.com
franks 4 losses are to brock lesnar, brandon vera, marcio cruz, and ian freeman.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:23 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,517,256 times
That was a frustrating fight to watch... I thought Kimbo was pacing himself well and looked decent while kickboxing. He obviously has no idea what to do on the ground...

Here's a thought though... in the long run... who really won? Kimbo showed himself to be humble, likeable, a family man, and an underdog with potential. Big Country showed himself to be an obnoxious ass. I think Kimbo won a lot of fans over... and if he can develop his ground game and become competetive... he could be VERY popular. I don't think Big Country won a lot of people over... and he didn't look that great winning either.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:18 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,180,445 times
Default Differant view

This just shows there are several differant viewpoints to a fight. I do agree, this was a pure domination and a really boring fight. In my opinion, Country dominated and took his time but at the sametime Kimbo connected one time which immediately forced Country to wrestle. I do feel that slight connection alerted country and which proves Kimbo can throw bombs. Kimbo's ground game is really really bad. Luckily, this was not a NCAA wrestling match because Kimbo would have lost 50 to 0. Man, that was the longest pin in history. After that first pin, Kimbo looked like a beat man.

Personalities: Kimbo has earned my respect. He cannot wrestle but he is obviously trying so in my book he's a winner. Kimbo, hold your head up. After the match, his humbleness was shocking, I did not know that side of him. I respect a man who speaks proudly of parenthood/fatherhood, the country needs more of that.

Country, did not look bad in my eyes. He is a MMA fighter so you get what you get. Quite honestly, since he's not doing drugs, beating women, carrying a gun or killing dogs, I could careless. He just needs to go out and fight to earn his keep.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:56 AM

750 posts, read 2,175,470 times
Yeah the fight was a joke. I came away with more respect for Kimbo and was actually hoping he would knock Big Country out since Big didn't want to offer up much but little taps to the top of Kimbos head. I thought he was supposed to be like the best of the fighters competing but he didn't do much imo. I had higher hopes for that fight.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:59 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,024,274 times
I love kimbo attitude. But the guy needs to seriously work on his ground game.

I don't know if big country was taking pity on kimbo, or he had just gassed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)