U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:48 AM

7,912 posts, read 9,192,968 times

Advertisements

i dont think roy gassed, and he was not taking it easy, he was proving a point. he did exactly what he said he was going to do from day one. he called his shot to the "T". he didnt even look remotely tired.

they where some solid shots, not to hard not to soft from what herb dean said in an interview afterwards, and roy did just enough to win without exerting to much energy or taking any damage (remember it is a tourney and he could be fighting again in a week or so, they are only in the house like 6-8 weeks total)

roy took nasty shots and was never fully "out" from andrei arlovski, i have to say i think he can take a shot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 10:15 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,794,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
oh and for the record, roy has 17 fights, and has no wins or even fights against frank mir.

Roy "Big Country" Nelson MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography, and More - Sherdog.com

maybe you are thinking of wes simms who says he beat frank twice, although he also says he will never let the truth get in the way of a good story lmao. (he lost to frank 2 times.)

Frank Mir MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography, and More - Sherdog.com
franks 4 losses are to brock lesnar, brandon vera, marcio cruz, and ian freeman.
Your right, my bad

Old 10-05-2009, 10:43 AM

750 posts, read 2,174,244 times
Quote:
i dont think roy gassed, and he was not taking it easy, he was proving a point. he did exactly what he said he was going to do from day one. he called his shot to the "T". he didnt even look remotely tired.

they where some solid shots, not to hard not to soft from what herb dean said in an interview afterwards, and roy did just enough to win without exerting to much energy or taking any damage (remember it is a tourney and he could be fighting again in a week or so, they are only in the house like 6-8 weeks total)

roy took nasty shots and was never fully "out" from andrei arlovski, i have to say i think he can take a shot.

I was disappointed in Nelson I thought he would bring more against a guy that can only do one thing, punch. It's like Dana White said after the fight "White derided Nelson’s punching, likening it to the shots he takes from his daughter in the Purple Play Room of his mansion." He just didn't show alot to me.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:09 AM

yeah i understand that point BUT the way i look at it, roy did enough to win, saved energy, took little to no damage, and for all intents and purposes stopped kimbo in the 1st round. herb dean said the only reason he let it go was the clock was almost up and knew kimbo could handle it for another 10 seconds. he also said kimbo was in no way able to "solve the position" and had the same thing happened 30 seconds sooner he would have stopped the fight in the 1st. what is impressive to me about the win, roy didnt have to do much of anything to get a tko stoppage and really should have had that in the 1st round. dana i think wanted to see kimbo get KTFO or a serious submission and that is the sole reason he is talking smack about how roy won. dana is also not a big roy nelson fan for 2 reasons, he comes from a "former competitor" and because he is this "big, ol, fat, outashape looking" guy, dana likes those guys who "look the part" so to speak. if you notice, all of danas favs are the "prototype" fighters in the way they look. where dana should be praising roy is how he looks and acts, he acts like a normal guy off teh street. someone the "common man" can relate to i guess. not to mention he is somewhat known from his IFL days when it was being shown on fox or what ever channel it was. (my brother doesnt have cable and used to watch IFL in san antonio a lot.)

Old 10-05-2009, 06:23 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,022,803 times
Quote:

If he didn't gas, he differently took pity of kimbo, he could have done a lot of damage from the position he was in.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
If he didn't gas, he differently took pity of kimbo, he could have done a lot of damage from the position he was in.
absolutely he could BUT to what point? why? he would exert a lot of energy for no need, he knew kimbo was going nowhere and why risk say a broken hand on kimbos hard head? or tiring himself out to much?

i see roy as playing strategery lol more then being un impressive. think about this, how many fighters in the house saw that fight and said the same thing you guys are "roy is not impressive" i can beat him. under estimate the most well rounded fighter in the house. sorta what with rashad as well.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
absolutely he could BUT to what point? why? he would exert a lot of energy for no need, he knew kimbo was going nowhere and why risk say a broken hand on kimbos hard head? or tiring himself out to much?

i see roy as playing strategery lol more then being un impressive. think about this, how many fighters in the house saw that fight and said the same thing you guys are "roy is not impressive" i can beat him. under estimate the most well rounded fighter in the house. sorta what with rashad as well.
You may be right. I think it is unfair to the other fighters that roy is there.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:26 AM

i agree. what i find interesting, when afliction went under, dana started scooping up fighters. he started signing anyone and everyone with "a name" for the sole purpose of keeping them out of the competitions hands. (his words) he signed ben rothwell, and put roy nelson on TUF. both of these guys got KTFO by andrei arlovski at affliction, but when asked about andrei and tim sylvia he said "i dont want anything to do with those guys". tim i can understand but andrei? i mean the guy just koed 2 of the guys you just signed, he was controlling fedor and winning that fight until fedor caught him with IMO a semi-lucky punch, and you dont want anything to do with the guy? danas pride i think but damn man really? i would have signed andrei 4 times before i signed roy and ben. i mean frank "twinkle toes" trigg got signed...... i mean TWINKLE TOES! the name alone screams "dont sing me"! out of all the signees the only one i completely agree with is vitor.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
i agree. what i find interesting, when afliction went under, dana started scooping up fighters. he started signing anyone and everyone with "a name" for the sole purpose of keeping them out of the competitions hands. (his words) he signed ben rothwell, and put roy nelson on TUF. both of these guys got KTFO by andrei arlovski at affliction, but when asked about andrei and tim sylvia he said "i dont want anything to do with those guys". tim i can understand but andrei? i mean the guy just koed 2 of the guys you just signed, he was controlling fedor and winning that fight until fedor caught him with IMO a semi-lucky punch, and you dont want anything to do with the guy? danas pride i think but damn man really? i would have signed andrei 4 times before i signed roy and ben. i mean frank "twinkle toes" trigg got signed...... i mean TWINKLE TOES! the name alone screams "dont sing me"! out of all the signees the only one i completely agree with is vitor.
This is what I think.
Arlovski has improved alot. He would easily defeat most of the heavy weights in UFC. Dana doesn't want someone like that who was beaten by fedor becoming UFC heavy weight champion.

I agree that fedor got lucky. If arlovski keep up what he was doing for the entire fight, he would have won by decision. He made 1 mistake and payed for it.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:13 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,483,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
This is what I think.
Arlovski has improved alot. He would easily defeat most of the heavy weights in UFC. Dana doesn't want someone like that who was beaten by fedor becoming UFC heavy weight champion.

I agree that fedor got lucky. If arlovski keep up what he was doing for the entire fight, he would have won by decision. He made 1 mistake and payed for it.
Whats so funny is everyone says how Arlovski was dominating Fedor and Fedor got lucky with the KO. If you really watch that fight none of Arlovski's punches even landed. Plus, Fedor timed that punch there was no luck about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)