Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:56 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,055,978 times

Advertisements

Should Mobile be part of Louisiana rather than Alabama.? It has more in common with LA. than Alabama, so does Pensacola.

Why has the beautiful region from New Orleans to Destin Florida been so neglected for so long? The best thing that has happen to this region is the Saints won the Super Bowl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 08:17 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,171,913 times
Well Yes and No. And yes we have a lot in common with that state. The neglect is because culturally we are different from the rest of the U.S and even our home states in general.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:45 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,649,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Why has the beautiful region from New Orleans to Destin Florida been so neglected for so long?
What do you mean by "neglected"?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:14 AM

123 posts, read 319,075 times
Neglected i.e. Ignored taken for granted dumped on. Example :stripping the tanker contract from us even after katrina destroys the economy and now the oil spill. We will get dumped on again because to the rest of the country we don't matter. We are like Haiti when the media loses interest people will froget and move on with their lives leaving Alabama to suffer once again.

to answer the question from Baldwin county east should be Fl. and Mobile Co. west should be La. The only reason why Alabama and mississippi have a coast is that the Mississippi Territory was required to have a water outlet for the upper protion of the future states (AL. Ms.) so that was the bone thrown to us. I guess that's what they should call the Al. coast ... the dog pound ... because all we ever get are the bones.

It's strange how Germany(thyssenkrupp) and Korea (Kia) will invest in our area but the U.S. Gov't will not.

Last edited by Mr crabb; 06-07-2010 at 10:25 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 AM

976 posts, read 2,686,559 times
Bureaucracy!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:50 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,435,414 times
No! I love Mobile and LA!! Proud to be part of a state that includes them!

Old 06-07-2010, 10:45 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,784,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr crabb View Post
We will get dumped on
Some of us are into that.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:04 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,493,056 times
Outside of history and Carnival, what do they have in common? Mobile was once the capital of colonial Louisiana, but modern day LA and coastal AL/FL are like two different worlds.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,784,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Outside of history and Carnival, what do they have in common? Mobile was once the capital of colonial Louisiana, but modern day LA and coastal AL/FL are like two different worlds.
In a way, style-wise, downtown Mobile and midtown Mobile could pass for a hot wheel version of the real car (in other words, as a very tiny version of what downtown and uptown New Orleans feels and looks like). That is just my opinion of course.

But yes, coastal AL and FL in general are much different than LA.

I find it funny how coastal MS gets left out of this discussion as if it doesn't exist in between the two areas. That's my kind of discussion .

Old 06-08-2010, 09:26 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,171,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalea City Man View Post
In a way, style-wise, downtown Mobile and midtown Mobile could pass for a hot wheel version of the real car (in other words, as a very tiny version of what downtown and uptown New Orleans feels and looks like). That is just my opinion of course.

I agree and many people that I know who are from NOLA agree to the above statement as well. We have Creole Cottages with Spanish architecture. Old neighborhoods with the houses and buildings with the old school balconies and cast iron work that New Orleans is famous for. The thing is that our buildings are just as old if not maybe older than some of those in NOLA. NOLA kept most of there old world architecture a lot of ours were destroyed due to mass and rapid fire and so called urbanization in the 60`s. We have an old French neighborhood by the name of Fort De La Conde which had and has the character of " French Quarter" 95 % of it was destroyed for the I-10(Wallace Tunnels), I-10 in general, Mobile Civic Center and many more so called modern buildings. .Another notable mnetion is the De Tonti historic district even majority of the streets are named the same NOLa in French but they are the same.Trust me we are Mobile and proud to be Mobile but to VISIT downtown and Midtown Mobile and other old historic districts and not say the two have something in common is crazy. Again Mobile is Mobile but to me architecturally we have more in common with NOLA than Baton Rough(great city by the way) and Shreveport(another great city) now that is my opinion.

Many who have visited NOLA and then found a way to visit Mobile ask the question that the OP asked all the time because they want to know what we think.My reply is that old Mobile is identical in ways but NOLA is very uniqe and has a distinguished charecter.

Last edited by PortCity; 06-08-2010 at 09:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
View detailed profiles of: