Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 AM

196 posts, read 776,810 times

Advertisements

If I may say something as a transplant to Mobile of 2 years. I like the hospitality, the weather, the greenness here. There is just something I can't put a finger to - complacency? Niceness? It's like everything is awesome and perfect. This is the way things are done for ages, and it ain't broken, so let's not change it, even if there are glaring shortcomings and so many ways we can make it better. There is a certain, don't see, don't compare, don't care, we are good enough for ourselves kind of attitude. It is all good if you just stay within the region, but I find it hard to be competitive if we were to move elsewhere (or people from elsewhere move in to compete with us, for that matter).
I hope I didn't offend anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 10:33 AM

123 posts, read 318,490 times
Here ya go... same s*** different day.

Few details available on Kenny Street homicide | al.com

MOBILE, Ala. -- The Mobile Police Department reported this morning that officers are investigating a homicide in the 900 block of Kenny Street.

I lived on Kenny St in the 80's. No more.

Added:2 men sought in Exxon armed robbery on Schillinger Road.

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/07/two_...on_robber.html

Happening so fast I can't keep up.

Last edited by Mr crabb; 07-15-2010 at 11:08 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 06:31 AM

4,998 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionT View Post
If I may say something as a transplant to Mobile of 2 years. I like the hospitality, the weather, the greenness here. There is just something I can't put a finger to - complacency? Niceness? It's like everything is awesome and perfect. This is the way things are done for ages, and it ain't broken, so let's not change it, even if there are glaring shortcomings and so many ways we can make it better. There is a certain, don't see, don't compare, don't care, we are good enough for ourselves kind of attitude. It is all good if you just stay within the region, but I find it hard to be competitive if we were to move elsewhere (or people from elsewhere move in to compete with us, for that matter).

Actually your statment is well put ! I couldn`t gather the words to describe Mobile`s biggest downfall and hinder.You sumed it up for me. The best way to put it is that our city leaders and some citizens as well are afraid to try something new !

Last edited by PortCity; 07-16-2010 at 06:54 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr crabb View Post
Here ya go... same s*** different day.

Few details available on Kenny Street homicide | al.com

MOBILE, Ala. -- The Mobile Police Department reported this morning that officers are investigating a homicide in the 900 block of Kenny Street.

I lived on Kenny St in the 80's. No more.

Added:2 men sought in Exxon armed robbery on Schillinger Road.

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/07/two_...on_robber.html

Happening so fast I can't keep up.

LOL ,Crime is un avoidable and I bet the individuals who were involved in the Kenny Street homicide were into some sort of drug trade. I`m not making an excuse for it but there is crime in every American city.

I strongly doubt that anyone can give me a city/metro that is similar or larger than Mobile that don`t have crime.

I like the sub title though,LOL..

Now we all have come up with ideas to add to the entertainment of Mobile.So what kind of solution(s) that are out there for crime ??

Old 07-16-2010, 06:43 AM

123 posts, read 318,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionT View Post
I think you have it. We are below average in every respect except football and pie eating and we are just fine with that . Mobile and Baldwin counties are green, lush and beautiful.Thank you very much.

Last edited by Mr crabb; 07-16-2010 at 06:58 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 07:20 AM

Many of you may disagree with this, but for the city to reach or tap into its full potential we may need younger leaders or leaders that are not from this region or state.

I love Mobile and the city is in my heart !! Alabama is full of nice cities/towns but nothing compares to Mobile or the Gulf Coast in this state. I`m a true urbanite and I want this city to thrive and progress. I’m a young professional and others in my group are young professionals as well. And we are here for a change, we love our city and we want to support it. A good friend of mine who graduated from South and now attend grad school in UA ,said something that stood out to me. She said that she want to move back to Mobile when she finish because" we can`t expect for Mobile to change if the young,educated,and open-minded progressive thinkers all want to move to Atlanta,Austin,Charlotte,and Houston."

That is why cities like Atlanta,Austin,Charlotte,and Houston are the way they are now is because the "young, educated, and open minded progressive thinkers are moving to those areas. Also keep in mind that all of the cities that I mentioned are progressive,liberal,are listed as one ofthe fastest growing metros in the nation, and have a nice size educated population but they struggle with(crime).

Old 07-16-2010, 10:19 AM

143 posts, read 282,659 times
I think LionT's description was good. I'm a recent transplant and it just seems that diverse opinions, ideas, concepts, etc. are not as easily embraced here as in other places. This is the nature of conservative areas though. By the way, I'm not saying that diversity and change don't happen here, it's just much slower. This sets the area back behind others that move forward more quickly.

The area has lots of potential (history, architecture, location by the water) but not much of it is capitalized on. One thing I think could change is Mardi Gras. It seems to me the city wastes too much energy on 3 weeks of Mardi Gras. Shorten it down to one 4 day party (Sat-Tues) and use money for other events thoughout the year.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:41 AM

97 posts, read 348,844 times
I've been to Mobile. It's a great city. Lots of potential. But IMHO... it has a long ways to go.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhall View Post
I think LionT's description was good. I'm a recent transplant and it just seems that diverse opinions, ideas, concepts, etc. are not as easily embraced here as in other places. This is the nature of conservative areas though. By the way, I'm not saying that diversity and change don't happen here, it's just much slower. This sets the area back behind others that move forward more quickly.

The area has lots of potential (history, architecture, location by the water) but not much of it is capitalized on. One thing I think could change is Mardi Gras. It seems to me the city wastes too much energy on 3 weeks of Mardi Gras. Shorten it down to one 4 day party (Sat-Tues) and use money for other events thoughout the year.
LOL,Wellllll fyi Mobile is predominantly Catholic I believe 70 % if I`m not mistaken and since Mardi Gra( which is called Fat Tuesday in French) is the celebration of CARNIVAL as a whole. CARNIVAL is really a French Catholic tradadition.So it begin at a certain time because of French Catholic traditions I can`t think of the name of the first day that we celebrate Carnival but it ends 40 days before RESURRECTION SUNDAY which is (MARDI GRA or FAT TUESDAY).

Americans have turned MARDI GRA into one big party over time but I don’t think that was the intentions of Mobile’s French founders. And then again Ash Wednesday is used for three weeks of cleansing,lol..The three week celebration corresponds with Catholic traditions. Also CARNIVAL is funded by the Mystic Societies or "KREW",e.g.( The Incas,MAMGA,Strikers,KREW of LaShaies and etc).The only thing that is funded by the city is police protection.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:23 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseegirl95 View Post
I've been to Mobile. It's a great city. Lots of potential. But IMHO... it has a long ways to go.
True, though I would have capitalized long instead of IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area