Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 03:34 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,151,507 times

Advertisements

http://media.al.com/live/photo/fort-...d351754c2d.jpg

Florida A & M architecture students aim to "New Urbanized" parts of downtown Mobile

Florida A&M architecture students aim to 'New Urbanize' parts of downtown Mobile | al.com

Also other intersting r artcicles regarding Urbansim in Mobile:

We pro Mobilians should feel honored that a city the size of jacksonville ,Fl saw some positives about our urban core that they would like to bring to there own core:http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...rbanism-mobile

Last edited by Keeper; 10-05-2010 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: copyright picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 04:05 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,344 times
Looks like parts of Houston.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Looks like parts of Houston.

Wow really ?...Well that is part of the Fort Conde village( basiclly an old French neighberhood)

Old 09-30-2010, 09:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,363 times
Thanks for the post, PortCity. Very exciting. I've been trolling around for a few weeks, and it's nice to see something positive on this board.

All, the link is worth a read at the bottom: Elements of Urbanism: Mobile | Metro Jacksonville ...many positive comments about Mobile, and a healthy dose of negativity from some equally frustrated Jacksonville natives.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevofan View Post
Thanks for the post, PortCity. Very exciting. I've been trolling around for a few weeks, and it's nice to see something positive on this board.

All, the link is worth a read at the bottom: Elements of Urbanism: Mobile | Metro Jacksonville ...many positive comments about Mobile, and a healthy dose of negativity from some equally frustrated Jacksonville natives.

No problem...And there are several positive things that are circulating around the city but it"s common that the bad out shadows the good.Mobile has a lot going for it and I will make sure I post the positives since there is so much negativity in this world.

On another note I was amazed at how the residents of Jacksonville a city that is twice the size of Mobile looked at our downtown for inspiration.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:30 AM

123 posts, read 318,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post

We pro Mobilians should feel honored that a city the size of jacksonville ,Fl saw some positives about our urban core that they would like to bring to there own core:http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...rbanism-mobile
Where exactly does it say that in the article? Nice spin.

A professor in Jax Fl. (not USA right here in the city) stumbled across a vague forgotten "master plan for the city" of Mobile. He found a place that was backwards in their zoning laws "abanoned buildings "and "empty lots" and decided what a great thesis project this would be i.e. this place is really screwed up my students could learn alot when trying ON PAPER how to make this place better. The professor has to tell his students that they will have to work under the assumption Mobile would have the foresight to change their zoning to improve the area. In the end no money + apathy = plan shoved into the archives for someone to dig up 25 years form now. If not for the investment of RSA in downtown there would be nothing nice but scattered restored historic homes

Old 10-05-2010, 10:50 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Ironically IIRC they are the same ones that came to Arab earlier this year. They really didn't come up with anything that isn't already being done here.

I do hope Mobile can come up with a way to keep the old homes. It is a shame so many are now in disrepair

Old 10-06-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr crabb View Post
Where exactly does it say that in the article? Nice spin.

A professor in Jax Fl. (not USA right here in the city) stumbled across a vague forgotten "master plan for the city" of Mobile. He found a place that was backwards in their zoning laws "abanoned buildings "and "empty lots" and decided what a great thesis project this would be i.e. this place is really screwed up my students could learn alot when trying ON PAPER how to make this place better. The professor has to tell his students that they will have to work under the assumption Mobile would have the foresight to change their zoning to improve the area. In the end no money + apathy = plan shoved into the archives for someone to dig up 25 years form now. If not for the investment of RSA in downtown there would be nothing nice but scattered restored historic homes

You miss understood the article I believe the professor is an instructor at FAMU in Tallahasee,Fl not Jacksonville.The plan that his wife ran across is called "New Plan for Old Mobile". The plan was constructed by Sam Jones back in 2008 and it is supported by Mike Dow.The plan is full of developments and ideas from Atlantic Station type of developments to retail.Some of the plans have been met already such as converting one way streets(some have been converted and more are on the drawing board),Fort Conde expansion(they just voted to get rid of the water street merging ramp that merges with I-10 to the tunnels for Fort Conde expansion),Gulf Quest Museum(the foundation is being laid),The Downtown Mobile Alliance have came up with the idea of a retail incubator(the idea came from other cities that have downtown retail).The isntrcutor praised the agenda for "New Plan for Old Mobile" that is why he asked our city to allow his students to work with the plan,lol not the other way around.

I conversed with the guy from metrojacskonville.com through another website before he and his crew came to Mobile and after.And in the article he spoke well of downtown inspite of the flaws our downtown had some positives going for it.Positives that him,his crew,and some of the people in Jacksonville wish they had.I noticed that some of the positives that were mentioned in the artilce by Jacksonville residents were the result of "New Plan for Old Mobile".

Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 AM

Default The city has been agressive in the effort of making downtown the heart of the city again.

There have been numerous articls as of latly about urbanism and downtown investment.Even though the city is making an effort to bring more private and non private investments and devlopments to downtown.There will still be a few that will be negative about what the city is trying to do for downtown even though they are trying to change things,lol.

Yes the RSA played a role in downtown developments but it also took Mike Dow and his team to be progressive thinkers and trust Dr.Bronner and his team with downtown.Mike Dow had a plan and his next agenda was to find an investor that is willing to invest into downtown Mobile(that investor was and still is RSA).The RSA investment is part of Mike Dow`s plan which was called "The String of Pearls" .That included the cruise terminal,RSA Tower,Battle House Hotel,royal street developments,Convention Center(was praised by Jacksonville residents and the people from metro jacksonville),and othe developments.

Every city large or small will need some sort of investor. I`m pro Mobile !!!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:47 AM

143 posts, read 282,709 times
What's Gulf Quest Museum? Any links to information on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area