Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 05:37 PM

17 posts, read 69,351 times

Advertisements

We are moving out of crazy California and relocating to the Gulf Coast....we have had a vacation condo in Orange Beach for 8 years, but have only visited for short periods. Now we are ready to get out of CA and are looking to move to either the Daphne / Spanish Fort area or Gulf Shores (Bon Secour) area. We have three young elementary school age children so schools and activities are important to us. Just thought I would get some input from those that know much more than me about the area. We like the proximity of Daphne / Spanish Fort to the I-10, but also like the beach town of Gulf Shores area. Any suggestions??? Pros / Cons to the areas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 04:16 PM

4,997 posts, read 9,143,305 times
I recommend the Daphne /Spanish Fort area. The beach is only like 40 or 35 minutes away from the Daphne/Spanish Fort area. That area sits perfectly between Mobile and Gulf Shores/Orange Beach.Also between Mobile and Spanish Fort/Daphne there are more activities than the beach area.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:13 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
You didn't mention work and if that is a consideration on where you will live. I like the area around Foley to Loxley to Fairhope but for a young family you might be happier in Daphne or SF.

You might want to check out the school ratings in the area at greatschools.net

Old 10-14-2010, 12:03 PM

17 posts, read 69,351 times
Thanks so much for the input.....Employment is not a big issue for us. Of all the areas however, I have been told to try to stay away from Foley schools???....because we had originally looked there. I have heard to try to stay in the Daphne/ Spanish Fort area or Orange Beach / Gulf Shores schools.

Curious also about medical facilities in both areas.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:45 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Curious also about medical facilities in both areas.
In Daphne, Thomas Hospital in Fairhope would be closest, otherwise you'll have to go to one of the big ones in Mobile (Springhill, Infirmary, USA).

In Orange Beach, South Baldwin Infirmary in Foley is closest, otherwise there's the big ones in Pensacola (Baptist, Sacred Heart, UWF).

Old 10-18-2010, 08:33 PM

432 posts, read 1,255,140 times
angelina,
Fairhope schools are great, and the city is very unique. The other cities you mention, do not have a defined downtown area...but Fairhope has a beautiful downtown, with a Museum, first class Library, several colleges(USA has a small campus here, and so does Faulkner), a gorgeous pier and surrounding parks. There is also a city sports center, with 2 pools, tennis courts, baseball and soccer facilities, a skateboard park and football field.

It's a safe city...great for children, and lots of activities for all. This past weekend we had an Art festival, 5k Mullet run, free concert on the Bluff, Polo matches in Point Clear...hard to chose where to go. Fairhope is a very reasonable drive to the beaches, and has a great hospital...Thomas Hospital. Do come and check our gorgeous city before you make a decision.

Check our restaurants also....Master Joe's, Tamara's, Fairhope Inn, Papa's, The Pub, Sandra's, Moe's and Mary Ann's at the Windmill Market, Buck's Diner, The Attic, Jolly's Diner,The Pub, Dragonfly and Panini Pete's. People drive from many locations in the southeast to eat at several of these places...Pete's was visited by Guy Fieri (DD&D), and he was featured on the Food Network on Guy's Big Bite!!

Last edited by humacaena; 10-18-2010 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: spelling and adding

Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 11,731 times
I grew up in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach and now I'm in the Daphne area due to work. In my opinion Gulf Shores/Orange beach is much, much nicer. You can take your lunch breaks on the beach, the people are laid back and really nice and it has the best food in the area. You can also bike to most areas. The parks and rec system is wonderful. I graduated from the schools about 15 years ago but they were good - I ended up with a full scholarship for college. Eastern Shore people really like the eastern shore but I think it's because they don't know what they're missing.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 9,881 times
I have friends in Spanish Fort and they LOVE it there. From the first visit, I have loved that area. It is convenient to I-10, with a very short commute into Mobile proper. There is fantastic shopping at Eastern Shore Centre and access to great restaurants. I don't have any information on the school system, but you could do an online school ratings search. Best wishes in your move!

Old 11-06-2010, 09:42 AM

872 posts, read 1,855,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humacaena View Post
angelina,
Fairhope schools are great, and the city is very unique. The other cities you mention, do not have a defined downtown area...but Fairhope has a beautiful downtown, with a Museum, first class Library, several colleges(USA has a small campus here, and so does Faulkner), a gorgeous pier and surrounding parks. There is also a city sports center, with 2 pools, tennis courts, baseball and soccer facilities, a skateboard park and football field.

It's a safe city...great for children, and lots of activities for all. This past weekend we had an Art festival, 5k Mullet run, free concert on the Bluff, Polo matches in Point Clear...hard to chose where to go. Fairhope is a very reasonable drive to the beaches, and has a great hospital...Thomas Hospital. Do come and check our gorgeous city before you make a decision.

Check our restaurants also....Master Joe's, Tamara's, Fairhope Inn, Papa's, The Pub, Sandra's, Moe's and Mary Ann's at the Windmill Market, Buck's Diner, The Attic, Jolly's Diner,The Pub, Dragonfly and Panini Pete's. People drive from many locations in the southeast to eat at several of these places...Pete's was visited by Guy Fieri (DD&D), and he was featured on the Food Network on Guy's Big Bite!!
Don't forget Markey By The Bay Cafe. While visiting the area a few months ago, I ate there and absolutely loved the seafood!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:58 PM

176 posts, read 288,333 times
Personally I'd go with Daphne or Fairhope. More activities, better schools, a better hospital, close to I-10 for easy access to Mobile, and a bit farther inland from serious hurricane damage. Don't take that to mean you won't have to worry about storms on the Eastern Shore, but Gulf Shores is much more risky. Plus, living in Gulf Shores means dealing with tourists, ALL THE TIME, it's a bit more expensive, and kids seem to party more there. I think the Eastern Shore is more family friendly.

This coming from a 20 year old who moved to Gulf Shores and lived in the area (including on the river in Bon Secour) since I was in elementary school. Sure the beaches are nice, but I preferred the Eastern Shore (particularly Fairhope, much more cultured) to Gulf Shores/ Orange Beach. You'll still be close enough to visit anytime!

As others said, stay away from Foley. Bad schools, and out of Baldwin County, the most crime seems to happen in Foley. Nothing compared to cities of course, but still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area