Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 11:33 AM

139 posts, read 214,653 times

Advertisements

After some serious soul searching and thought I have decided to stay in Mobile!! with that being said I am now looking to buy a home. I have been looking around the city and even in Daphne at homes but none have really peaked my interested. But the other day i did take a drive in midtown, particularly oakleigh and i fell in love with the homes and vibe!!!Even though I grew up in Mobile I never really took notice of it....its a great mix of Savannah and the NO! But I do question drugs and crime in this area.... Do you guys really think that it is safe for a young single female to live alone in midtown! Any advice would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 12:30 PM

442 posts, read 828,176 times
Mobile in general is relatively save city despite what paranoid people across the bay will tell you. If you stay in midtown it depends on the demographics of the particular area since you can have "hood" on one block and a expensive historic homes on another. There are usually more cops in that part of town so if you live close to government street then you are usually the safest since that is where the headquarters is (about a mile or two from Murphy High). That being said, this is not the worst or best area as far as crime goes in Mobile, but you just have to be smart and know your surrounding like most places before living there or walking around at night alone.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:13 PM

143 posts, read 282,729 times
My family and I are in the process of moving to Oakleigh and we have two small kids. Here's why we're moving there...
1)Walkability and bikability - There are four restaurants in the neighborhood that are within easy walking distance including an Irish pub, a coffee shop, a southern style restaurant and a barbecue restaurant. There are other families, a running group and a biking group that are in Oakleigh.
2) Accessability to downtown - we ride our bikes from Oakleigh with a group to downtown events such as LODA and the farmers market. I commute in on my bike every day. The neighbors walk to Mardi Gras together.
3)Safety - if you stay in the nicer sections of Oakleigh (this is obvious by looking at the homes) you will have active neighbors that are walking, jogging or going out to one of the restaurants from early in the morning to late at night. That being said I would not venture out to the south side of the neighborhood at night. Also, many city leaders live in Oakleigh and you know they want to keep it safe.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:31 PM

442 posts, read 828,176 times
Can we get some information your job prospects and how much you are willing to spend a month? Information like this would help.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:55 PM

432 posts, read 1,255,774 times
My neighbors next door moved to Fairhope after 2 murders occurred in their Midtown area. They were in Macy Place, and there was a nice young man killed a few houses away. Just telling the truth...not paranoid like sk8t mentioned. Just the facts!

Old 10-29-2010, 07:20 AM

143 posts, read 282,729 times
Fairhope is nice but it is primarily for retirees. It is very clean and safe but also much more boring than Mobile IMHO. For a single person Mobile would be my suggestion. Mobile does have crime like any other city and the murder on Macy Pl was shocking, especially because of its randomness. Coincidentally I know a young family with small children that just moved to Macy Pl and they love it because of the family friendly atmosphere. You can't let fear run you life and more and more good people are moving to the city.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:39 PM

139 posts, read 214,653 times
Thank u guys for the advice.....sorry I am responding so late! I grew up in the rough parts of Mobile, so I am not foreign to drugs and crime at all. I just really fell in love with the area and after talking with some realtor's, I have found some prospects, that I am very pleased with and hopefully will be closing on a house in the near future!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 5,870 times
I lived in Oakleigh until I was 16 until my parents decided to move a little further west, a mile. We had some petty theft but nothing too bad. Most of the neighbors look out for each other but be sure to have lots of porch visits in the late afternoon

Old 06-14-2011, 08:06 PM

6 posts, read 11,267 times
I don't call Oakleigh "Midtown". I consider midtown starting at the cannon on Government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area