Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:09 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
Yup. Rich people.
Yep, those mean, evil, selfish old Rich People...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 01:31 PM

13 posts, read 91,996 times
Gosh, is this the same Fairhope, AL where I live. I don't recognize it from the above comments. I don't think I've ever seen a 'redneck' in the Fairhope, Walmart. Some rich people, some poor people, but basically some of the friendliest people I've even seen in any Walmart. I've lived in CA, NV, UT, AZ, MD, WA, TX, and seriously it is truly hospitable around here.

I'm so sorry others have not have the same experience, but everyone I know enjoys it and each other. It does take time to get things done because when a contractor or ? comes to your home to fix something, it always ends up in a conversation about something. No one is in a rush for sure and we find that kinda refreshing.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:42 PM

Another thing, all our family is on the west coast so we've moved back to be nearer and then we miss the south and move back here again. Finally our son came out and instead of thinking we were nuts he fell in love with the small town, rural farm areas and modern shopping mall (not far) and the quaint downtown. My husband and I decided before son and wife's visit that we would not try to defend our choice to live here so we stayed quiet. Each day of visit son and wife meandered on their own and we never had to say another word. We are looking forward to their next visit.

Last summer we sat on the lawn for the Baldwin Pops concerts and got a kick out of the 'kids parade' where little ones marched to the music. Old, young, who cares, all polite with extremely rare exception.

Rarely do you hear a horn beeped. You'll look up and someone will smile and wave you on if you've sort of goofed in traffic. I'm serious here. I think there is a form of peer pressure to behave.

Anyhow y'all come; you're more than welcome.

Last edited by donjackw; 01-17-2011 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM

432 posts, read 1,255,326 times
The people who have posted all kinds of negative things about our lovely town obviously do not really know what it is all about. I've been quiet lately as some of these folks made unkind remarks and attacked me personally,as I have talked up our lovely town.

My husband and I looked all over this nation, from Maine to Washington state to find a place to move to, and spend our golden years. We chose Fairhope( even though Santa Fe or Seattle were MY favorites), and have love living here. These rude folks that post about everyone here being rich, ect. sound very petty, and even though entitled to their opinion, have no place judging if they do not live in our community.

Anyone wanting to know about the real Fairhope, please ask a resident, better yet, someone that has lived in other parts of the country(or the world), and chose to live here.

Last edited by humacaena; 01-17-2011 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: added

Old 02-15-2011, 04:30 PM

5 posts, read 18,935 times
I would like some more information on Fairhope from some residents there if anyone is willing to give some information. My husband and I are relocating and trying to decide between Fairhope and Daphne. We have an 8 year old in private school and are willing to make the move to public if the education is the same. Anyone know anything about the public schools and the private schools? My husband will be working around the Gulf Shores area and I will be working around Mobile so these two cities seem like the good choices. Thanks for all the input.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:36 PM

5,000 posts, read 9,146,069 times
Both are great cities.Daphne is closer to Mobile and shopping.Fairhope has a vibrant downtown area for it`s size.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:02 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
I love Fairhope and we do have one member who lives there.

You might be better off checking out Orange Beach or even Pensacola rather than both of you living and working so far apart,if you don't already have a job you could look in Pensacola rather than Mobile.
Pensacola would be a closer drive.
The issue is going to be traffic to Gulf Shores during the summer. It is really heavy especially on Mondays and Fridays.

You also might want to check out Loxley since it is close to the interstate. Gulf shores is still going to be quite a drive too.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 PM

432 posts, read 1,255,326 times
The drive to Mobile from Fairhope is about 25/30 to downtown...a bit longer to Gulf Shores. You don't have to go on 59, where most tourists go as there are various short cuts from here. It all depends where in Mobile or GS you have to go to...but it's very doable.

Daphne is also a very nice town. I am partial to Fairhope as I live here. Our schools are great. My neighbor moved here last year, was paying a fortune at UMS Wright, and is very happy with our system.

Good luck!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:08 AM

Just a quick reply. First, Loxley is a totally different feel from Fairhope or Daphne - very rural and much farther east of Mobile. Someone else can explain more, but the is a private school, Bayside Academy, that you can Google although I think our public schools are well thought of. Fairhope and Daphne have a very different 'feel' to them and a one day 'tour' should give you an idea. Fairhope has an 'attitude' according to others and I love the attitude - civic pride and very friendly - love the outdoor concerts with kids and seniors all having a good time - lots of quaint stores - artsy - school sports strongly supported in Daphne and Fairhope. I would not live in Mobile as the crime rate has been a problem-not everywhere, of course. Gulf Shores and Orange Beach have a 'transient' beach town feel - we owned condos there and could not live there even temporarily while we were building a home as it was party hearty (of course condos would be, as opposed to homes). People, who live in Fairhope, all seem to love Fairhope. I have never seen any elitism even though I know some long time old money people. I'm sure it exists with the usual hospital fund raisers and such. But hey, fund raisers are important, too. Pensacola from Gulf Shores is ok, but beach traffic again. Pensacola is a nice place. You need to come see the area. Make sure to go to the Pier at the end of Fairhope Ave. You will never see more beautiful flowers lining the downtown area. You'll never find homes cheaper than now, barring a total recession.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 10,754 times
I hate Mobile Mardi Gras!! They claim it's "family friendly" and this year decided to dole out tickets for parking in areas where we've parked for 15 years (without incident, mind you) all to boost revenue for paid public parking! Gee, I wonder why tourists don't come here for Mardi Gras? Duh!! Mobile's City government is as stupid as it's school board. They can't seem to do simple math! It's better to get more people in your town eating, drinking, staying in your hotels than to get $50 a pop for issuing locals parking tickets. Much like the new Press Register article regarding a $1.00 tax on cigarettes. The boasted the the tax hike will increase revenue by $290 million and at the end of the article they said it would prevent smokers who can't afford the hike in price to quit. Well, guess what math whizz you can't have it both ways. Either you want the taxes from the smokers or you want them to quit which is it? Stupid, stupid, (for those of you originally from Mobile and products of the Mobile County School System) stoop-Ed!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area