Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 08:32 AM

109 posts, read 365,450 times

Advertisements

If you're from DFW, you will probably won't consider traffic a problem here. I was talking about the suburban sprawl area of west mobile. 2 lane roads that can be very hectic during mornings and afternoons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,759,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwsouthbound View Post
Is this consider the west side? And why is west side traffic so bad. I'm moving from the the DFW area where it can take an hour to go twenty miles.
The traffic is NOTHING compared to TX. It was very busy last week, especially on Airport and going east towards downtown but that is because it was Mardi Gras. If we lived there, I would stay east of 65. It is a shame that people "fled" to west Mobile. It is so unique and there is so much character east of 65. The dynamics of dowtown Mobile would be very different if people hadn't moved out west. My spouse (who is a Mobilian) but now lives in TX, almost went crazy with the traffic when he first moved here. Luckily, we don't live in the immediate DFW area anymore so he has regained his sanity, lol. If you have any questions from our point of view, please feel free to message me. We travel between DFW and Mobile frequently.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:59 AM

62 posts, read 130,584 times
I'm reviving this thread because I'd love to hear more, too, and there are already some Texans or ex-Texans in the discussion.

We're considering a move from Austin to Mobile, but the job market looks less than promising compared to most of Texas.

I'm in marketing/event logistics/biz development here and have been an entrepreneur for over half a decade. Is there room for me in Mobile with the job market the way that it is?

But we're considering 'downsizing' from Austin for a few years, and Mobile *seems* to meet many of our needs.

However, I did have a few questions. Please be patient with me if they have been addressed before, as I'm still sifting through the forum here.

We want someplace that isn't as bloody hot as it is here. Didn't used to be this way, but we seem to be in perpetual drought. My wife was raised in Miami and me in Houston. We don't mind the humidity, and we know it rains in Mobile!

We love Austin's live-and-let-live attitude. Will we encounter that in Mobile?

We love historic homes, and midtown seems to provide that. What can we expect for yard size? I know that sounds silly, but we have three dogs and my primary hobby is gardening. We don't need a farm, but enough room for both the dogs to run and me to plant is critical.

And what about 'stuff' to do? We love eating out, an occasional concert, a good hike, good local produce to cook with, and some fun places to take the kids now and then. We also like the idea of Mobile because it's closer to the beach and fresh fish (that we might catch on our own). Is that an accurate assessment? We're at least 3.5 hours from a good beach here. Probably not quite that far for good fishing.

Thank for any help, folks. We're weighing our options in several cities, but Mobile is a new 'discovery' for us. We're trying to see if it might 'fit'.

edit: Just found some answers to produce and some dining suggestions. Still open to any input, though.

Last edited by Eric Bee; 07-07-2011 at 11:23 AM..

Old 07-07-2011, 06:32 PM

6 posts, read 14,977 times
The kind of attitude you encounter in Mobile will depend on the circles you run in. If you are trying to cut a figure in society, the pressure to fit in will be intense. If you could care less, you can do what you want. "Keep Mobile Weird" is not the civic motto. though.

Yard size in Midtown, and especially in the Oakleigh Garden District, can vary widely. I've been in some houses in Oakleigh that were close to the street but had a surprise in the back -- an extremely deep yard.

Your selection of stuff to do will also be less varied than in Austin. Enough to keep you busy, though, unless you need professional theater, a world-class art museum, or four nationally renowned touring acts in town each weekend.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffamy View Post
The kind of attitude you encounter in Mobile will depend on the circles you run in. If you are trying to cut a figure in society, the pressure to fit in will be intense. If you could care less, you can do what you want. "Keep Mobile Weird" is not the civic motto. though.

Yard size in Midtown, and especially in the Oakleigh Garden District, can vary widely. I've been in some houses in Oakleigh that were close to the street but had a surprise in the back -- an extremely deep yard.

Your selection of stuff to do will also be less varied than in Austin. Enough to keep you busy, though, unless you need professional theater, a world-class art museum, or four nationally renowned touring acts in town each weekend.
Thanks, ja. Good things to know. "Keep Austin Weird" has become a mockery of itself at this point, and there's a reason we need a break from the pretense here (but a different kind of image 'preservation').

We'd like somewhere near a 1/4-acre if we can find it. All backyard would be great. As with most urban real estate listings, lot size isn't listed on most of the MLS in Mobile, so it's hard to tell.

And as much as I'd like a world-class museum *wherever* I'm living, I'm used to going without after living in Houston. Austin is weak, comparitively.

The only red flag you've raised for me might be the potential social hierarchy in regard to business. In my last venture here, I dealt regularly with high-level execs and decision-makers, and although certainly business could be formal, there was little in regard to 'fanfare' when it came to appearance, social formalities, etc. I WILL miss that if it is not that way in Mobile.

Thanks again!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:08 AM

129 posts, read 362,158 times
Why on earth would you leave Austin for Mobile? I think you will be quite disappointed. I suggest you also look at the Ocean Springs/Biloxi area if you are sure you want to venture east from Texas.

Last edited by dailysounds; 07-08-2011 at 10:18 AM..

Old 07-08-2011, 12:21 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,162,150 times
You`er moving from Austin ? I have read a lot of positives about that city..I will admit that Mobile is not growing at the rate of Austin but I have met people who are from cities such as Atlanta,Boston,D.C,Detroit,Houston,Memphis, and Newark.And they all seem to be pleased with their relocation.They have a gripe here and there but over all they seem to be comfortable with Mobile.So it all depends on the individual.The city of Mobile has good bones,DNA and is full of charm.We just need a leader who will take full advantage of what the city has to offer.Come on down and visit the the old city and I guarantee your mind will began to wonder and imagine the capabilities.

Mobile`s historic areas are very urban and many do have plenty of yard space.

My best advise is to come and visit the area and git a feel of the city.

Welcome to Mobile !

Last edited by PortCity; 07-08-2011 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 01:37 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times
As a native Mobilian w/30+ yrs in TX, I'll try to address your questions/concerns from my own perspective...

First, for general info...

The answers you've received above are quite accurate, the most being trying to break into Mobile old business society... sometimes difficult to do if you're a newbie to Mobile and especially so if you do not have any lineage/history in the Mobile area. Even if/when you may be able to do some business with those at the level you aspire to, you will not be accepted as a complete equal for some time because of this. Friendships run deep over time in Mobile and it's a "who you know or knows your family" that will get a person in the door first.

Another thing you might not be aware of is that Alabama does have state income tax vs. Texas that has no state income tax. However, this is somewhat offset by the very low AL property tax vs. TX very high property tax.

As far as traffic, take into account that Mobile has only two interstate freeways (I65 N/S and I10 E/W) running through it, with one (I-165 N-S) bypass... the rest of the traffic flow is on surface streets with Airport Blvd the largest lane-wise running E/W. Thus, while the distance travelling may be short, timewise it will all depend on the time of day and locations you're travelling to/from.

And, while this does not apply to you now, but something you might want to consider as a nice benefit in the future, is that you pay no taxes on most pensions in AL. Do a search for some of Keeper's prior posts on this as she's provided a list of companies/pensions that are exempt.

The rest of your specific questions I've addressed (in blue) below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Bee View Post
We're considering a move from Austin to Mobile, but the job market looks less than promising compared to most of Texas. I'm in marketing/event logistics/biz development here and have been an entrepreneur for over half a decade. Is there room for me in Mobile with the job market the way that it is?
Very tough professional job market/lower pay in Mobile...nowhere close to the opportunities you have right there at hand in the larger cities in TX. Try these job sites --
Alabama Job Link, Alabama Local Jobs and Monster.com, though most jobs in Mobile will still only be found by cold-calling businesses you might have an interest in and speaking directly to the people - a personal connection will be your "in".

But we're considering 'downsizing' from Austin for a few years, and Mobile *seems* to meet many of our needs.
Understand the slower pace of things' need... while we love TX and Dallas in particular and all it has afforded us business-wise throughout the years, it is this that fits our needs in our future retirement years ('though our choice has been closer to the water than Mobile).

We want someplace that isn't as bloody hot as it is here. Didn't used to be this way, but we seem to be in perpetual drought. My wife was raised in Miami and me in Houston. We don't mind the humidity, and we know it rains in Mobile!
Mobile weather is definitely cooler than Austin's... is almost equal to Houston's weather... may even be a bit cooler, though definitely hot and humid in the summer w/many afternoon thundershowers. However, this plus great soil accounts for the lush green landscape almost year-round -- you can grow just about anything with success! Also, just be aware that Mobile is as susceptible to hurricanes as Houston is.

We love Austin's live-and-let-live attitude. Will we encounter that in Mobile?
See above regarding business. Also, while Austin is considered very liberal (even by TX standards), you will not find that to be so in Mobile. You'll encounter many with old south, old republican conservative attitudes. Also, just as a FYI, this does not mean they always practice what they preach! Still friendly people, though, and most will not pay attention to much or make an issue unless you do!

We love historic homes, and midtown seems to provide that. What can we expect for yard size? I know that sounds silly, but we have three dogs and my primary hobby is gardening. We don't need a farm, but enough room for both the dogs to run and me to plant is critical.
You might find a historic home with a 1/4 acre lot... and may not, just depends. You also might want to look at Fairhope, Daphne and Spanish Fort across the bay as well for historic homes.

And what about 'stuff' to do? We love eating out, an occasional concert, a good hike, good local produce to cook with, and some fun places to take the kids now and then. We also like the idea of Mobile because it's closer to the beach and fresh fish (that we might catch on our own). Is that an accurate assessment? We're at least 3.5 hours from a good beach here. Probably not quite that far for good fishing.
There are many local and varied venues for great food, as well as local theater groups and many artist fairs, concerts, museums, historical sites, etc, and don't forget, Mardi Gras; beaches - Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Ft. Morgan are only an hour away... Dauphin Island even closer...
as well as several rivers... where you can go swim, boat, fish, camp, whatever...all close enough for a short day trip. Also, if you choose not to catch your own, you also have the option to buy fresh fish/shrimp/oysters/crab, etc, "right-off-the-boat" at several places in town (highly recommend Southern Fish & Oyster).
Bottom line, Mobile is a great medium-sized southern city steeped in history. It and the cities across the bay make for very pleasant areas for families. However, good or bad, what it is not is a city (or surrounding cities) with all the "latest and greatest" with opportunities to match, 'though it is doing its best to move forward with the times. As PortCity stated it best, it is a city that is in need of a great leader to take advantage of what all the city has to offer.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-08-2011 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 02:34 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,861,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailysounds View Post
Why on earth would you leave Austin for Mobile? I think you will be quite disappointed. I suggest you also look at the Ocean Springs/Biloxi area if you are sure you want to venture east from Texas.
I'm sorry but this just doesn't make sense.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailysounds View Post
Austin is NOT what it once was. It used to be that we could get a table at a restaurant, park next to whatever outdoor events we would like, remodel a home without an inquisition from city officials, and so on, and so on.

Austin has been overrun with Californians, Bostonians, New Yorkers, etc., etc., etc. I have absolutely no problem with that, but it DOES change the culture. It changes expectations about work hours, family commitment, traffic, cultural norms in regard to how you're treated as a business owner, or even at the gas station.

Frankly, we're not a fan of being bused in to a concert event, restaurants refusing to take reservations because they're so busy, rude exchanges with citizens, and a general homogeneity that has crept in. And the 'hype' of current Austin is greatly borne of false pretense.

A perfect example of the schizophrenia in Austin is it's marketing of itself as the 'Live Music Capital of the World' while simultaneously passing ordinances that don't allow music (or sound) to exceed a certain dB limit after 10pm due to an influx of high-end condo buyers downtown.

It is a wonderful place in many, many ways, but in many others it is completely exhausting. We may be back here, as we own a business and a home, but we want to explore our options elsewhere for a year or two and see if we might need to find one gear up and drop the revs a bit.

As the saying goes, though...'To each his own'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area