Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM

15 posts, read 22,001 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Kentucky and I'm am attending UWF for the Fall 2011 semester. I just have to complete my current semester here.

I was wondering, what is a good area, what are the places to avoid. As every city has them.

Schools, I have a niece who will be living with me, she is about to enter the 5th grade then go off to middle school. I don't have the money for private, so what the the options for public. She currently attends a school that has a Micro-Society and is a peace officer, so she loves to be involved. Cheerleading, any gyms or clubs for kids, as she cheers for her school and she wishes to keep at it.

I work from home, so I'd like a place near the water. I'm not sure of the price range, but I know that I can't pay anymore than 800 dollars a month. I do live with my mom, she has a service animal and an evil cat. So anyone know of a place that allows pets. If I have to pay more, I can. I currently pay 650 in one of less shady areas of my city, and that is a three bedroom house that has not been updated since the 70s.

It does not have to be in Mobile, it can be in an area around it. I really don't know the area all that well. I just figured that it would be a neat place to live.

I apologize if this these questions have been answered before. I'd just like to move back down south, maybe to a place where my southern accent don't stick out too bad and it is warmer where I'm currently at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 02:46 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,266,402 times
I would suggest Mid-town, very walkable, safe place and affordable.
Prices in Mid-town can range $6-800 for a 2 Bedroom, and from $7-900 for a 3 Bedroom.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:41 PM

Thank you, do you have any information about the schools in the area? My niece will be in the 5th grade and my nephew will be in the 1st. Thus I'll need a flipping larger house. I do know that I'll end up having to pay out a lot more, no worries as I do have money saved up and I can afford it (I'm cheap).

You suggest Mid-Town, where is that at? I have no idea where anything is. As for the areas to avoid, just in case I can't find something that I like in mid-town.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,266,402 times
You could look at Daphne, pretty safe, good schools along with shopping in area. Prices might range a little higher but you added you thought it would.

Check Here
Mobile, Daphne

Old 02-27-2011, 11:00 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I assume your referring to the University of West Florida (UWF)? If so, you're better off looking closer to
Pensacola in my opinion. For good schools look in Santa Rosa County, around Milton or Pace, these areas are nice and safe yet still convenient to UWF.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:24 PM

Much Thanks ^_^

It was UWF, but I have applied to Southern Alabama, cheaper out of state rates, hopefully I can get in. That way I'm not paying a lot more for a simple degree. Personally, what Southern Alabama charges is what I pay as in instate student where I currently live at! (Well almost, I'm sure it will still be slightly higher).

I'll look in Daphne so thanks for the tip Mr. Port City.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:37 AM

143 posts, read 282,659 times
If you end up at South Alabama you will definitely want to live in Mobile. Otherwise your tuition savings will be lost to commuting costs.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:46 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I agree with Nuhall there is no way you want to live in Baldwin county and go to USA. Check out Midtown area in Mobile. There are other areas that are even closer to USA

Old 03-11-2011, 05:14 AM

I have some time off coming up, so I plan to drive down and take a look at ya'll lovely city.

The only question that I have is, elementary schools? Within the city limits, what are the best ones or at least alright. As I have two kids (not mine), who will be attending school. So I'm kinda worried about that. As it stands now, they go to a school system that buses students around to achieve a balance and it allows almost every school to offer some type of special program to lure students. In turn they have to spend hours on a school bus. Does Mobile go by the neighbored model and not bus students?

Thanks for all the help ^_^ It really is making this whole random move thing a whole lot easier. When I was a kid, all my parents did was get out a map and pick a random place and say, we are moving! It was always an adventure.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:24 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Check out Greatschools.net to get an idea of the schools if you see any houses or areas you are focused on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area