Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 02:56 PM
MPC MPC started this thread

703 posts, read 1,267,128 times

Advertisements

First of all let me state I know this plan actually coming together has just about zero chance of happening but I just wanted to share my idea on making Mobile more retail downtown like it was back in the day.

Back in the 60's and 70's Mobile was alot more retail rather than nightlife, as it is now. Here is my visual.

I also want to note that as we know, our city needs better leadership that has the urge to move forward and progress.

Downtown needs retail, supermarkets and stores with convenience type items so that people will move down there and come down there. Maybe if you get these types of stores then developers will build condos and such.

Basically move the mall to downtown and add some retail suites/plazas in-between them all, along with restaurants like a Olive Garden, O'Charleys, Ruby Tuesday along with an occasional McD's or fast food restaurant or maybe a Star Bucks.

I also I've heard their putting a Macys at the mall which will mean Mobile is the only Alabama city to have one I Think. Just a little info.
Attached Thumbnails
My Mobile Downtown Plan-mobile-dt_plan.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 03:43 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
My knowledge on Mobile is very limited but I highly doubt it could support a Kroger and Target a black apart from each other and the Walmart, the accumulation of Dillards, Sears, Belk, JC Penny, and Macy's would never work. Mobile is way too small to support all of that in one area.

Firstly, residential comes first then the grocery stores and shopping, etc.

If anything, cater it [the project] to the city residents as well as the passerby's on I-10, it would be the perfect stop between major destinations on I-10.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:24 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
I agree downtown Mobile has a few hurdles to jump before we can get all of that....I will say we need to start with light retail first ( Old Navy ,Gap, Foot Action, and etc).

Old 12-04-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I agree downtown Mobile has a few hurdles to jump before we can get all of that....I will say we need to start with light retail first ( Old Navy ,Gap, Foot Action, and etc).
Does anyone live downtown? Those types of stores won't work if not. First you need a pharmacy, grocery store, etc before you go to stores that are found in a mall or outlet. Necessity first, pleasure later.

We're dealing with this issue in downtown Baton Rouge, the new residential units are attracting the amenities.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:05 PM

688 posts, read 1,205,930 times
There is service retail (banks, convenience stores, pharmacies) on the periphery of Downtown.

I think Downtown will thrive on art galleries, museums, studios and other creative commercial usage.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Does anyone live downtown? Those types of stores won't work if not. First you need a pharmacy, grocery store, etc before you go to stores that are found in a mall or outlet. Necessity first, pleasure later.

We're dealing with this issue in downtown Baton Rouge, the new residential units are attracting the amenities.

Yeah it is..They just need to make downtown living more affordable but there are residents downtown.And we have pharmacies grocery stores,barbershops/beauty salons, and other basics already.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah it is..They just need to make downtown living more affordable but there are residents downtown.And we have pharmacies grocery stores,barbershops/beauty salons, and other basics already.
Hey then yall are halfway there. Just hope for a saturated residential market for downtown. You say entertainment is abundant downtown? That only helps the situation.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:41 AM
MPC MPC started this thread

703 posts, read 1,267,128 times
I appreciate the replies and I want to note that I already knew it would take the stores like a CVS, Walgreens, Neighborhood Market, Publix etc to run that area because the idea was to make Mobile convenient and in my eyes people live near convenience and necessities.

The reason it is so much retail is because that is my retail plan. I think Bienville needs to go back to being a retail magnet like it was back in the day. Ofcourse the areas around it would be condos/apartments and stores of which you all named but I was stating simply retail, I just added the Publix, Walgreens etc to give you the idea of the surrounding areas.

One more thing is that this is my long term idea. Nothing of this nature could happen within the next 10 years, I know that but unlike our council today; I am thinking 20-30 years from now. The biggest mistake I think a City/County can do is plan for the next 5-10 years given that virtually nothing can happen in that time frame as far as true economic development.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Hey then yall are halfway there. Just hope for a saturated residential market for downtown. You say entertainment is abundant downtown? That only helps the situation.

We have an entertainment district too...There have been improvements lately as far as safety. I do think that Mobile need to experiment with small anchor national retailers first.We have an urban emporium/retail incubator in the works already.And from what I hear is that it has attracted a nice crowed.Some of the abandoned eye sores are in desperate need of TLC.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
We have an entertainment district too...There have been improvements lately as far as safety. I do think that Mobile need to experiment with small anchor national retailers first.We have an urban emporium/retail incubator in the works already.And from what I hear is that it has attracted a nice crowed.Some of the abandoned eye sores are in desperate need of TLC.
More locally based stores are the best, IMO, they are more accepted and people try to support them more, which is very ideal for having a strong small business market, which is perfect for the local economy. The way New Orleans supports is neighborhood bars and restaurants are an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area