Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 PM

7 posts, read 10,170 times

Advertisements

First let me say thank you to those that lend a helping word or two and address my questions. *I've been accepted into two programs of study; USA Mobile and in Savannah Ga. Last month I spent 3 days at each area, feeling out the vibe to compare. *The following is what I found.

Mobile:
Loved the architecture and charm of *mid town, but concerned *over block to block safety.*Disliked Richmond Hills, (yawn) and surrounding radius of USA. I would love to live near Fairhope, but the commute concerns me. Loved the vibe there as well. *Spanish hills did nothing for me.
Over all your areas vibe *was outgoing and cheerful. All of which seemed genuine. I stopped a few people to ask questions and all were willing to assist.*
Real estate Market: *Very few rentals. But there were loads of houses for sale (not ready to purchase). Note: I have a dog which prohibits me from renting in an apt complex due to her breed and their insurance issues. House renting is owner specific and I'm not concerned with this aspect. Just availability of smaller homes that are nice.*

Savannah:
The area was Duracell charged charming. Same as Mobile, just more of everything, including grit. *However the vibe *was flat out weird. Little to no eye contact and people walked *around with a disgruntled look to their faces. The pace was faster, but the vibe was out of sync with the charm there. I didn't encounter eccentricity, just disconnect.*
Real estate Market: Some rentals and very few homes for sale in the area that I liked.*

Other than biking and school activities I have little interest in day and night life in either places. I'm there for school.*

So I wonder for those in the know, did I read *Mobiles' *vibe correctly, or *perhaps *was it the moon cycle? *And to those that have spent time in Savannah did I read your city as well? If you had choice in place (Mobile *or Savannah) and the schools were on par with each other, where would you reside and why?Also I'm a 40 something solo female if this paints the picture better to my needs.
All input welcome.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-14-2012 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: title changed to reflect subject per TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 11:29 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
I`m Bias so I will say the University of South Alabama ! LOL

USA : Jaguars

Established:1964
Endowment:$$$$ 381.4 million
Student population :15,000 +

The University of South Alabama has ten colleges:
Pat Covey College of Allied Health Professions
College of Arts and Sciences
Mitchell College of Business
College of Education
College of Engineering
College of Medicine
Doctor of Pharmacy Program (Collaborative program with Auburn University)
College of Nursing
School of Computer and Information Sciences
School of Continuing Education and Special Programs
(USA has a satellite campus in Fairhope so I would take a look at that campus

Armstrong Atlantic State University : Pirates

Established: 1935
Endowment:$ 7.9 million
Student population 7,538

Armstrong University has 4 colleges:
College of Education
College of Health Professions
College of Liberal Arts
College of Science and Technology

Old 01-15-2012, 11:31 AM

781 posts, read 1,196,323 times
What is your planned area of study?

I've conducted research in Mobile over the past 3 years, visited Savannah for a short period of time as well. While I love Savannah as a vacation destination due to its historic charm and beauty, if it were me, (granted I know more about Mobile hence I'm a little biased), I'd select Mobile.

USA is huge, they've been continuously making improvements on site, it's a school known outside of the Mobile area, and, you're in close proximity to both New Orleans and the Florida coast.

In terms of rental housing--driving to and from Fairhope will take away from the college experience as well as waste considerable time, and, it will be expensive. I would check out Craigslist, the local newspapers, even touch base with a realtor if you are looking for private rental housing.

In terms of neighborhoods and safety--(coming from someone who presently resides in Baltimore)--every city has it's drawbacks, unsafe neighborhoods, and places to avoid. I've conducted research in public housing and low-income neighborhoods in Mobile and never had a problem--as long as you are alert, aware of your surroundings, and, don't randomly travel alone into unsafe areas where you don't belong, you'll be fine. This applies to any metropolitan area, anywhere in the country.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:54 PM

7 posts, read 10,170 times
Portcity: Appreciate your post on school data. When I applied I was aware of their stats; except endowment - thank you, that was knew news. I believe that both schools are equally suited for my study (Speech Pathology). At this time, it's more to do with comfort zone. Definitely more familiarity with Savannah, and its intimate ties to several military installation, an environment, which I've been accustomed to for the past 23 years; military spouse. As a non traditional 40 plus student, I know that class structure and community will be transient in Savannah with more students my age. Whereas Mobile and USA concern me in its size, fewer older students per classroom and younger demographics in vicinity.

I'll tell you this, I was surprised at Mobiles' vibrancy and how MUCH more positive and welcoming she was than any part of Savannah that I checked out. I'm worried that I read both cities wrong in its holiday cheer and why I've belabored here. Both colleges were closed and no doubt as returning students paint over the spring term, both areas will change. But how much do they change?

Mobilevisitor thank you as well. You hit the nail on the head with the position of visiting rather than the transplanting appreciation to Savannah. I picked up quickly that Savannah might be better to visit. Once again, I reflect on it's vibe. I look back at our tour in Hawaii and how so many people felt envy for our time there. In my experience I hated living there, but visiting, a different story all together.

Each of you have given food for thought. If anything else strikes a suggestion cord, please share.

By the way Mobile was absolutely lovely doll'd up for the holidays. Savannah not nearly as festive, odd.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:47 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,710,840 times
Savannah is much more fun, and much more beautiful. I like Mob, but there is just something about Savannah.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:17 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,449,916 times
I was reviewing your posts re Armstong in Savannah. I don't know a thing about Mobile, though I have at least one interesting friend who lives there. I enjoy my life in Savannah. I've actually chosen to live here when offered many other options. Part of that comes from investing the time to develop a network of friends, business associates, and other intangibles that make this place home.

While I think Armstrong is a pretty good school, from your description it seems Mobile might be the place for you. Savannah can be welcoming, but that would depend on who you associate with or even meet by chance. In a city of 150,000 people, you can only guess at where you might fit in. Everyone has a unique perspective.

Go with your gut. If you feel more comfortable in Mobile, then you won't be constantly second-guessing yourself on your choice.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:00 AM

234 posts, read 708,271 times
As far as I know about the two cities, I'd say that they're equally as charming and open. I've never been to Savannah, but many people equate it to Mobile. If I were you, I'd make a decision purely on an academic basis. I think you'll find that the two cities are quite friendly.

If you really wanna get into the city specifics, I would say that Savannah is more of an East Coast urban setting (even though it has a smaller population), which may explain how the people acted. Mobile I consider to be more of that down home Southern setting (even though it has a larger population). Other than these two differences, I think you'll find that they are QUITE similar.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:13 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedriskell View Post
I've never been to Savannah, but many people equate it to Mobile.
Never have I heard this. Doubt I ever will. Whoever said that has never been to one of the two cities.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:09 PM

432 posts, read 1,255,774 times
Savannah is as Southern as it can be....with beautiful historic buildings, amazing squares and great food. Tybee Island brings the beach effect and much closer to town than Mobile's beaches...although the Gulf is much prettier.

There is crime in both places so be aware of your surroundings at all times. Mobile is much more spread out but Savannah is much more walkable. Biking in town Savannah is lots of fun and you get to know the city really well this way. I've not tried it in Mobile. I'd say both cities are equally friendly with old money being a factor in the society parties, so just roll with the crowd and whatever life brings you....and make your own circle of/with newcomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area