Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 05:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,519 times

Advertisements

My mother had 10 siblings and she is now the last living one. My Aunt recently passed and she was fairly well off with no children, no husband, and pretty big estate. My cousin from Thomasville came down and has taken over everything... she has not contacted my mother or any of my 4 other siblings. Obviously, she had power of attorney over my Aunt. Does anyone know if my mother -being next of kin, is entitled to anything? Are we, me and my 4 siblings entitled to anything? We would like to read the Will. How do we find out who the attorney is? We have been unsuccessful in contacting the cousin in Arizona who knows who the attorney is. Does anyone have any advice??

We were told by another, distant cousin who lives in Arizona that this cousin from Thomasville is soon planning to have an estate sale. Aren't we, or not entitled to anything before she does this?

Anyone with any advice, is greatly appreciated! Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 05:49 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
You should be able to check here to see if any will was filed or if it had gone to court
Clarke County, Alabama

Old 01-31-2012, 06:18 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD819 View Post
My mother had 10 siblings and she is now the last living one. My Aunt recently passed and she was fairly well off with no children, no husband, and pretty big estate. My cousin from Thomasville came down and has taken over everything... she has not contacted my mother or any of my 4 other siblings. Obviously, she had power of attorney over my Aunt. Does anyone know if my mother -being next of kin, is entitled to anything? Are we, me and my 4 siblings entitled to anything? We would like to read the Will. How do we find out who the attorney is? We have been unsuccessful in contacting the cousin in Arizona who knows who the attorney is. Does anyone have any advice??

We were told by another, distant cousin who lives in Arizona that this cousin from Thomasville is soon planning to have an estate sale. Aren't we, or not entitled to anything before she does this?

Anyone with any advice, is greatly appreciated! Thanks...

Call and Estate Attorney and ask all these questions or at the very least go to the Court House or City Clerks office where your Aunt lived and ask them. Posting here will more than likely get you nothing but personal opinions and not good legal advice and guidance.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:05 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Call and Estate Attorney and ask all these questions or at the very least go to the Court House or City Clerks office where your Aunt lived and ask them. Posting here will more than likely get you nothing but personal opinions and not good legal advice and guidance.
Agreed. And I would make sure the attorney in question is a ball cutter. If your cousin has already done some dirty pool, then it's pretty much war. Discuss with your other four siblings and ask if they're willing to share the legal costs.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,519 times
Thank you. Yes, me and my brother and sisters are discussing the situation. We do not trust this particular cousin and don't put past what she may or may not do.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:26 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,960,190 times
Is there a will? If not MyStateWill.com | Alabama Intestacy Calculatorâ„¢ just plug in any dollar figure.

Also there's a difference between a POA and a will. In many if not all cases a POA is not valid at death. of course I'm not an Attorney. The cousin has to be made the executor of the estate and all siblings have to be notified from my understanding.

If there's banks accounts and thing like that they can be distributed per the beneficiary designations and if she had a POA she may have changed those to her.. Then again she may be doing things right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area