Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 PM

11 posts, read 36,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyMom6 View Post
Hi IKaring... Our stories do sound alike. I wish you all the best in finding a job and home in that area. I hope the same for us. I have talked to a job recruiter, so at least I have a possible lead when the time comes. ��
Maybe we will be getting there the same time! My husband is worried about finding a job. His field is so limited. Did you find a recruiter there or using someone out of SCAL? Just curious if you don't mind me asking. He's anxious to move also, but worried about finding a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,248,233 times
You can try searching the employment center Joblink.

https://joblink.alabama.gov/ada/

Old 12-11-2012, 02:27 PM

26 posts, read 160,717 times
I work in healthcare. So,I just called one of the hospitals in the area. U spoke to one of their recruiters. She was such a nice person. She told me all about the area.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:05 PM

Thanks...any help would be appreciated....

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You can try searching the employment center Joblink.

https://joblink.alabama.gov/ada/

Old 12-11-2012, 09:07 PM

I will keep searching everything I can for my husband. He does too, so between the 2 of us, hopefully he'll find something.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 6,790 times
Default Views of a native

The advice already noted is all good and relatively accurate. I grew up in Mobile and go back several times a year. One of my children and her family still live there. Fairhope, Daphne, and Gulf Shores were the "in" places to go when we were in high school (Murphy High class of '49). Esthetics are the best and most beautiful anywhere on the eastern shores of Mobile Bay.

We have lived in northern California and Charleston, South Carolina for many years. Currently living in southern California about one hour north of LA. If I had my "druthers", I would retire in Fairhope.

Here's some info to help you make a decision. The natural environment is the best. Convenience to shopping and retail centers is nowhere near what you have now. Schools are not as good but are adequate. After all, the quality of your child's education will be a product of his/her attitude and ambition plus your help and encouragement.

The biggest issue for adults from more developed areas may be the culture. Prepare to slow down and exercise a lot of patience. The people are courteous, caring, and mostly fundamentalist church goers. Much of the social activity centers around the churches. They are also quite conservative. They will, however, respect your views. Family values are quite strong.

Other than that, be sure you know what to expect from the weather. Hot and humid are the most prevalent. Don't forget about the hurricanes. They can be very scary and inconvenient but most will not be as bad as the media predicts. Check with the natives for advice.

Hope this helps. Good luck . . .

Old 08-05-2013, 07:03 AM

Thank you VERY much, David!!! I appreciate all these words. My husband and I are planning another trip there in two months. WE are excited to spend more time there and get the feel of the area, and hopefully narrow in on some neighborhhoods.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:10 AM

432 posts, read 1,248,906 times
We moved to Baldwin county in 2003, from a suburb of Atlanta. We fell in love with the area, and after living here, decided to build our home in Ono Island (Orange Beach). That was not a good idea, because after 2 1/2 yrs. being there, we had 2 major hurricanes we ran from, and it's a TOO secluded.

We moved to Fairhope, our original choice and reason to come this way, and have never looked back. Fairhope has a lot more to offer than most places in the Eastern Shore, plenty of great neighborhoods to choose from, and quite affordable by all standards. Also, not everybody has to belong to a church to be accepted....plenty of ways to meet people and groups to join.

If you are coming in two months, try to be here on a first Friday of the month, as the city comes alive with musicians playing and galleries open until 8p Fairhope is an artsy town, and the Art Center has open house that night.

Good luck in your search and choosing a destination. I know it's not easy but I hope you fall in love with our area just like we did.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:49 PM

You all are so friendly and helpful. Thank you for all the information. I know I am going to love it there. It seems to have just the right amount of everything I am looking for. I will keep you all updated on our search.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:45 AM

My family and I just arrived in Fairhope. Though are house isn't ready yet for move in, we have found a wonderful little cottage to rent just a walk away from downtown. The people have been wonderful and for such a small town, there is lots of action. It is pricey though and I moved here from one Palm Beach FL. I am still struggling to find work, which has been a downer, but keep plugging away (I am an educator). My kids are excited to start school, which this county has one of the best school systems. I have found Fairhope to be very "accepting," so far, of those not from this area. This town is made up of so many "out of towners" that its easy to feel like you belong. Good luck in your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area