Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 PM
MPC MPC started this thread

703 posts, read 1,257,369 times

Advertisements

First I want to say this is not a thread created for rivalry but comparison. I checked out Mobile's wiki page and noticed that at the bottom of the first paragraph that it said "As of 2011, the population within a 60 mile radius of Mobile is 1,262,907." The last sentence.

So then I went and checked out more information and basically just did some homework and research. What I came to find out, is that Mobile compared to B-Ham is somewhat close in population in terms of size of B-ham's metro and CSA.

What I found out was that if Mobile & Birmingham had about the same size metro area (as Birmingham currently does), B-ham would have a 1,128,047 population and Mobile would have 1,056,937. These numbers are counting land size only.

If Mobile & B-ham had the same sized CSA as B-ham currently does, B-ham would have a population of 1,212,848 and Mobile would have 1,187,049.

But I will say that B-ham's metro and csa numbers are based off counties and not radius. The radius of B-ham in terms of its metro size and csa size would be, 1,150,622 for the metro and 1,307,149 for the csa area.

These are 2010 numbers. I just think everyone thinks Mobile is this small metro, I mean it is but it ain't. The main reason I was looking up Mobile was because they said that the USFL may be looking to locate here, so I was looking for some numbers.

Overall I still think, and understand that Birmingham is clearly the number one metro area currently. But just putting together some numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 AM

29,377 posts, read 16,286,193 times
The Reason Mobile Doesnt have the same notoriety as Birmingham is because its not politically centralized. Baldwin County wasnt even connected to Mobile until the 1930's. Pensacola is the Western Hub of the Florida Panhandle and state lines divide the metro area, same is said for Mississippi.

Birmingham and its suburbs/metro doesnt have this problem.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 AM

It is possible to have metro and csa areas that span across several states. There's plenty of them.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:11 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,936,484 times
Well, that's interesting, but I would be cautious about the high-flying copy provided by the local chamber of commerce, chiefly because too many urban centers are close to Mobile. Pensacola, Gulf Shores, Pascagoula, and Gulfport are all within that 60-mile radius you describe. Mobile's metro area has 415,000 with an MSA of 600,000. Pensacola's defined metro area is actually larger with about 450,000. Gulfport's DMA has 250,000. Neither of those two cities would be considered part of Mobile, either economically or politically. Further, I would argue that towns such as Gulf Shores, et al, would really consider Pensacola to be their key market due to proximity.

That's not to say that Mobile isn't blossoming after years of civic neglect. The Airbus and Thyssen Krupp are both great developments for the city.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 AM

4,983 posts, read 9,045,635 times
I have always felt that Jackson,Greene,and George county Mississippi should be included in the CSA there are to many tags in Mobile to not include them.They are taking over West Mobile ! Pensacola would be stretching it and I don`t see that happening no time soon. I saw one article on Al.com that show that Washington and Clark County Alabama are on track of merging with Mobile`s CSA. Mobile`s surrounding population may be close in size to Birmingham but Mobile feels like it could be around 700-800k and I think our skyline reflect that as well.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:28 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,219,633 times
I definitely see lots of MS plates in Mobile lately, especially out towards Schillinger Rd.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:47 AM
chj

128 posts, read 350,950 times
Should Escambia County, AL be included in Mobile's CSA?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:15 PM

I dont know if these counties necessarily should be included. I am just stating that if our metro and csa was the same size as B-ham's that our population would be close to each other, with Mobile over 1 million.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 PM
chj

128 posts, read 350,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPortCity View Post
I dont know if these counties necessarily should be included. I am just stating that if our metro and csa was the same size as B-ham's that our population would be close to each other, with Mobile over 1 million.
Why I was asking is that, to me, Escambia County, AL should be included in it. I am not sure about Brewton, but I think alot of people from Atmore work in Mobile and Pensacola. I think that it is close enought that it should be included in it.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:52 PM

492 posts, read 785,951 times
60 miles from Mobile would include both Pensacola and Biloxy. That is about a an hour drive to either of those cities from Mobile and about 2 hours from Biloxi to Pensacola.

I am not sure where you got your numbers from but it does not take 120 miles to go from one end of the Birmingham CSA to the other. Culman to Clanton is not even 2 hours.

Looking at the MSA even if you made the MSA of Mobile as big as Birmingham in land mass it would still not break 1million. Birmingham's CSA and MSA are relatively the same due to the low density areas surrounding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area