Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 03:15 AM

67 posts, read 112,314 times

Advertisements

Have these two companies been banned from our city or something? I see them everywhere else but never in Mobile. P. F. Changs would be nice too but I guess they're also blacklisted. Mobile is a strange town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 03:42 AM

688 posts, read 1,206,182 times
The nearest PF Chang's location is in suburban New Orleans. A lack of a suitable site is probably the biggest drawback keeping them out of this market.

Chang's and LJS would work well as outparcels at the forthcoming McGowin Park development.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:14 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_regis View Post
The nearest PF Chang's location is in suburban New Orleans. A lack of a suitable site is probably the biggest drawback keeping them out of this market.

Chang's and LJS would work well as outparcels at the forthcoming McGowin Park development.
I just don't think you would ever find those two chains in the same development.

LJS is much more of an Airport Blvd. chain squeezed in along with the rest.

Chang's tends to be like Cheesecake Factory when it comes to location. They do a little drama.
(and I could see both as outparcels at Bel Air if they would spruce up the parking lot and repave and landscape. Which I still hope for)

Old 07-20-2014, 11:35 AM

446 posts, read 678,278 times
Mobile is upscale enough for a chang's or cheesecake factory they have said its not even a mid level upscale area to enter the market like it has in other known cities and its just not a destination for a lot of people to visit unlike the destin area new Orleans Atlanta Birmingham and other cities some outsiders say mobile just has this sleepy town not much to do old school mind frame and there is no big marketing by people and city leaders of mobile to bring in names like that

Old 07-21-2014, 01:02 AM

67 posts, read 112,314 times
Default Mobile Sleepy Town?

Good Lord. Montgomery has a Mimi's Cafe and I can't see a town getting more sleepy than that place. Montgomery is just a stopping place for people on their way to Atlanta IMO. Mobile has so much more going for it.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:02 AM

688 posts, read 1,206,182 times
Montgomery *had* a Mimi's Cafe in EastChase, but it shuttered a couple months ago.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:23 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
There's nothing special about LJS in my opinion, it's just cheap fried seafood like Captain D's.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:25 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Mimi`s cafe maybe ,but Long john Silvers ? We use to have Long Johns and it did not survive because we have BETTER seafood places like : Boiling Pot, Mud Mugs, Original Oyster House, Oyster Rockefeller, Felix Fish Camp, R&R , Tacky Jacks, Ed`s Sea Food, Blue Gill , John Words , Shall I go on ? I`m suprised Captain D`s is still hanging in there.

I must admit that it is puzzling that Pf.Changs and Cheese Cake Factory has not come to Mobile yet. If Mobile can support a Ruth Chris , NOJA ( local) , Trellis Room (Local) , and a few other eateries that aare more expensive and more upscale than PF.Changs and Cheese Cake Factory then why not huh (shruggs shoulders). FYI Cheese Cake Factory appears to be in metros that are 1 million +. As for Mimi`s Mobile does have some real authintic French inspired local owned eateries that are more upscale and more expensive, I`m sure we could support it but Birmingham doesn`t have one either. Huntsville beat us in getting a Pf.Changs but Mobile had a Ruth Chris well before Huntsville had it.They just got a Ruth Chris in 2005/2006.

As for chain seafood ,Mobilians would welcome a Pappadeaux ( but they are not in coastal cities for some reason) and Landry`s. The first time I ever taste Landry`s I was in B-ham and I thought it is a decent seafood establishment. Now at the same time we have Seafood places here in Mobile that are above Landry`s in my opinion but I would much rather see Pappadeaux and Landry`s before a Long John Silvers ( Blahhhh).

Last edited by PortCity; 07-24-2014 at 10:35 AM..

Old 07-24-2014, 08:22 PM

If Ruth's Chris still owns Felix Fish Camp, then in effect you have two RC restaurants.

In BHM, I believe that Bright Star, Chuck's, Fish Market (DT only), Jesse's, Niki's West are the best seafood restaurants.
Landry's bought out McCormick and Schmicks and Pappadeaux opens in the Fall. Dixied Fish CO. seems to be gaining a popularity. (or people just like to park in the lot, lol) Most likely these are the best of the national chains that are here. But local is usually better. ( I do agree with you that Landry's is not bad and has a nice atmosphere) Of course there are a few hole in the wall places that are good.
But the closer to the coast the better the seafood seems. But is not a rule like it was twenty years ago. (but I come to the coast to eat,,,lol)

Old 07-25-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
If Ruth's Chris still owns Felix Fish Camp, then in effect you have two RC restaurants.

In BHM, I believe that Bright Star, Chuck's, Fish Market (DT only), Jesse's, Niki's West are the best seafood restaurants.
Landry's bought out McCormick and Schmicks and Pappadeaux opens in the Fall. Dixied Fish CO. seems to be gaining a popularity. (or people just like to park in the lot, lol) Most likely these are the best of the national chains that are here. But local is usually better. ( I do agree with you that Landry's is not bad and has a nice atmosphere) Of course there are a few hole in the wall places that are good.
But the closer to the coast the better the seafood seems. But is not a rule like it was twenty years ago. (but I come to the coast to eat,,,lol)

Well, I am back to add OCEAN and TWENTY SIX to the above list of local seafood places of sigificance in BHM because all my friends are giving me hell for forgeting the 'best' one of all.

So here it is. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area