Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 03:10 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,257,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Several states take images of a vehicle's license plate, access information from the issuing state, and bill the vehicle owner.
That is exactly what I was referring to, but not every driving someones car is the owner. And about your other reply, they said they expect to keep the tunnel open. So maybe connect the tunnel to a road to gain access I10 because I think they are tearing down the interchange for the bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 03:13 PM
MPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
I would rather this than daily long lines at toll booths - especially during the summer. It's an imperfect system unfortunately

Is there even room for an expanded toll area anyways? Booths would probably require such
You would probably have the express-pass so you wouldn't need to stop and pay. I think the booths are better because you're not getting a paper a couple weeks later charging you.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:15 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,822,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC View Post
You would probably have the express-pass so you wouldn't need to stop and pay. I think the booths are better because you're not getting a paper a couple weeks later charging you.
Agreed regarding express passes, but with booths you have the added opportunities for backups. Where are all of the out-of-town people going to go? Space is limited on these viaducts

Old 02-08-2018, 07:08 PM

485 posts, read 455,252 times
It works well in Florida. I drove my cousin’s car through a toll. He got a bill and I gave him $4.00. It was all good. Most likely you will only allow a close friend or family to drive your car.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:34 AM

426 posts, read 376,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
Agreed regarding express passes, but with booths you have the added opportunities for backups. Where are all of the out-of-town people going to go? Space is limited on these viaducts
I never got a bill when driving through the Tolls in Dallas. Just drove straight through.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:00 AM

306 posts, read 378,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Mac View Post
I never got a bill when driving through the Tolls in Dallas. Just drove straight through.
Unfortunately, I wasn't so lucky. Last Spring, my family and I went there and not being accustomed to the area, accidentally used a couple Toll lanes. I never even thought anything about it until about three months later received a "fine" in the mail. It showed different times we were in the Toll lane and charged us $12. Clearly, if we were intending to use it, we would have used it for the duration, not just a couple areas. Despite the fact that we were out of state and it was clearly accidental, we still had to pay the fine. After that, I found a paper tag with a car dealer's name on it works wonders with these automated cameras!

Old 02-10-2018, 08:49 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,788,835 times
Toll roads! Ah, you poor people, you're getting toll roads.

I'm visiting relatives here for the rest of the month, just read this.

Once they start, they never end. All construction will long be paid for and 10 years later, you'll still have the tolls. Guaranteed. And they always increase in price. Always!

Old 02-11-2018, 03:12 AM
MPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Toll roads! Ah, you poor people, you're getting toll roads.

I'm visiting relatives here for the rest of the month, just read this.

Once they start, they never end. All construction will long be paid for and 10 years later, you'll still have the tolls. Guaranteed. And they always increase in price. Always!
I agree with you; however, the Bankhead tunnel was paid for by tolls and has been toll free since the 70's. It's going to take decades to pay back the construction cost unless the toll is like 20 dollars.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:20 AM

24 posts, read 24,286 times
The tolls are that bad once you get used to them. I remember when they tore GA 400 tolls down and we was trying to figure how projects was gonna get paid for. This was after all the anger of getting tolls in the first place. Hopefully they only do like .50 for the tolls

Old 02-11-2018, 06:03 AM

485 posts, read 455,252 times
It’s not just paying for them. The tolls help maintaine them through thier useful life to keep them from falling in disrepair. Just look at the state of our infrastructure...... it is terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area