Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 04:05 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_regis View Post
Oddly enough, McGowin Park was initially conceived as an upscale shopping development. I guess changes in the market over time caused the shift to its current power center/big box format.
Such as the great recession? I would think it was in the planning pipeline about at the beginning.
Therefore, I like to think that during the next five years we will begin to see new and nicer plans coming out of that pipeline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 01:49 PM

265 posts, read 428,306 times
Not pleased with the 10 new tenants just announced for McGowin Park. I hope they at least add a Nordstrom Rack and/or Macy's, because none of these retailers, with exception of Costco, are anything special; they all are just a repetition of what we already have. Dave & Busters and other new to market popular 'upscalish' national chains would do well to make this center worth the trip. They can have both Ross and Nordstrom Rack at the same place, as in the case for other centers across the country. But I'd settle for Nordstrom Rack taking over the space Ross has now at the festival center, and that too would make sense it being behind JC Salon, The Melting Pot, down the road form Whole Foods and the main super regional mall in town. Restaurant chains such as Bar Louie, Yard House, BJ's Brewhouse, Bravo! Cucina Italiana, Buca Di Beppo, la Madeleine Country French Cafe, Corner Bakery Cafe, Firebirds Woodfire Grille, J. Alexander's Steakhouse, Houston's, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, Kilwin's Chocolates and Ice cream, Cold Stone Creamery, Haagen Dazs ice cream shop, Which Wich Superior Sandwiches, Smashburger, and Jamba Juice, should all be considered.

Last edited by Mellowboy; 12-22-2014 at 02:00 PM..

Old 12-22-2014, 01:59 PM

These announced stores are low-end, run of the mill, and/or already greatly present in our market stores, if this center is to be anything special where people drive out for it, it needs to have unique and new and upscale retailers and dining options, we do not need another Verizon wireless , T-Mobile, or Ross, or Mattress Firm, or Five Guys which we have so many locations of already, they could at least bring a Mooyah Burger and Shakes instead. But it is obvious that none of these nicer special chains want to risk entering the Mobile, AL market,for they perceive it as blue-collar, cheap, and impoverished. Really sad and depressin

Old 12-24-2014, 02:31 PM

59 posts, read 100,171 times
Huge disappointment with these stores being announced but not unexpected, I guess. The median income is just too low here to bring in top retailers.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:46 PM

688 posts, read 1,204,772 times
These are typical power center stores going into a typical power center.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:50 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_regis View Post
These are typical power center stores going into a typical power center.
I do think people are overlooking that for some reason. The stores that are being wished for would for the most part not go into this type center. Their time will come, I am sure.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
I do think people are overlooking that for some reason. The stores that are being wished for would for the most part not go into this type center. Their time will come, I am sure.
Nordstrom Rack, Dave & Busters, Trader Joe's, and even The Cheesecake Factory are examples of stores that go to these types of power centers, but in more reputable better markets than ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area