Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 10:58 PM

265 posts, read 428,796 times

Advertisements

What unannounced retailers and restaurants will be joining McGowin Park Center in Mobile. So far officially we know Costco, Hobby Lobby, Home Goods, Dick's Sporting Goods, Field and Stream, Regal Cinemas, Petco, Dicky's Bar-B-Q Pit, and Uncle Maddios Pizza. I heard rumors about The Cheesecake Factory, is this happening? I hope they bring any of the following: la Madeleine Country French Cafe, Corner Bakery Cafe, Bravo! Cucina Italiana, Buca Di Beppo, Smashburger, Which Wich Superior, Jamba Juice, Firebirds Woodfire Grille, Stoney River Legendary Steaks, Houston's Steakhouse, J Alexander, Bar Louie, BJ's Brewhouse, Texas di Brazil, Benihana, and Cantina Laredo. I also hope Nordstrom Rack joins, along with Macy's, and Trader Joe's!!! An Apple store, Banana Republic, and a Kroger Grocery would be really nice as well. If there is anything on my wish list that is coming to either this development or any where in the Mobile metro area (including across the bay at Eastern Shore Center) please reply to this with details!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 04:11 AM

688 posts, read 1,206,182 times
None of the retailers you have listed have ever developed stores in power centers such as McGowin Park, as they seemingly prefer upscale regional shopping centers. Also, chains like Banana Republic haven't been pleased with the performance of their existing stores elsewhere in Alabama, so they are a bit reluctant to open here in South Alabama. That being said, I could see Nordstrom Rack in either PineBrook or Westwood Plaza.

As for Eastern Shore Centre, they have recently opened an authorized Apple reseller called The Orchard next to the T-Mobile store, so that kind of precludes an Apple retail store from entering the South Alabama market anytime soon.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:34 PM

386 posts, read 1,217,051 times
Del Taco is coming.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:18 PM

Unstoppablemobile, where and when is Del Taco coming?

Last edited by Mellowboy; 12-14-2014 at 02:33 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 02:31 PM

Bon_regis, restaurants are known to go to power centers, especially ones that are upscale and/or in close vicinity to leading area malls. The Cheesecake Factory I have heard from multiple sources that they are being sought out by McGowin Park, but whether they get on board or not only time will tell. But my question was inclusive to not just McGowan park, but to the Mobile area including Eastern Shore, Legacy Village, Bel Air, or any possible new retail centers/mall. Nordstrom Rack was purported to go to McGowin Park, and not likely to go anywhere else. I think with Pinebrook, given the presence of Stein mart and TJ max nearby and the lack of room in general makes it not likely. Westwood does not seem to be aiming that high and there store spaces are not that large min 30 k sq ft. If you have word on otherwise please let me know. Glad Eastern shore brought an Apple reseller, but it would do them good to go full Apple and add Banana Republic, J.Crew, The Cheesecaje Factory,Macy's, and nordstrom rack, for a good start.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:52 PM

It would be great to have national chains like J. Crew and Banana Republic at Eastern Shore Centre, but for whatever reason, the development doesn't seem capable of maintaining a strong roster of national retailers. Notice that Bed Bath and Beyond is leaving for Jubilee Square sometime in 2015. Who is going to occupy their nearly 20K square feet of space in the mall? Not a new to the market national retailer. ESC has more vacant/unleased space than Bel Air Mall and Legacy Village combined. Perhaps this is due to the lease rates? Maybe the answer lies in demographics or the smallish population base.

I would be interested in seeing how a large REIT like Simon or GGP would handle the leasing challenges of ESC.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:31 PM

bon_regis, I wish big mall/shopping center companies like Simon, GGP, Taubman Centers, Westfield, or even CBL properties could own, run, and manage it or any other mall or shopping venue in our area, but Mobile, AL does not seem to have that kind of luck.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:11 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_regis View Post
It would be great to have national chains like J. Crew and Banana Republic at Eastern Shore Centre, but for whatever reason, the development doesn't seem capable of maintaining a strong roster of national retailers. Notice that Bed Bath and Beyond is leaving for Jubilee Square sometime in 2015. Who is going to occupy their nearly 20K square feet of space in the mall? Not a new to the market national retailer. ESC has more vacant/unleased space than Bel Air Mall and Legacy Village combined. Perhaps this is due to the lease rates? Maybe the answer lies in demographics or the smallish population base.

I would be interested in seeing how a large REIT like Simon or GGP would handle the leasing challenges of ESC.
I have always said that the ESC should have been built in Mobile County. It would have been great in the Dawes area or Saraland ,where they wanted to build the race way. I didn't want it close to the mall though and the arear where they are building Mcghowin would have been great. With all the great demographics that the Easter Shore has they can not support retail as good as Mobile can and the Tanger Outlet is successful because of tourist. I wish the lay out and design of Mcghowin would be as nice as the ESC or Bridge street in Huntsville. Now on the other hand if we had the ESC and it offered retailers and restaurants that are NEW to the area then the Festival Centre location would have been awesome.

Last edited by PortCity; 12-16-2014 at 07:23 AM..

Old 12-16-2014, 03:44 PM

Oddly enough, McGowin Park was initially conceived as an upscale shopping development. I guess changes in the market over time caused the shift to its current power center/big box format.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:02 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Maybe BAYER PROPERTIES will eventually look to Mobile. They are in many tourist oriented locations, such as Reno Nv.
They certainly have the connections as evidenced by the Summit in Birmingham. Not to menton when they took over leasing for Bridge Street it finally started to perk up some. And it has been very troubled from the beginning.
I would never want to see CBL take over a property in Mobile. Just look to Madison Sq. in Huntsville to see how they have let that go.

As I have said many times before on this forum, I believe that Bel Air and its location are still the prime center for retail in Mobile. It has and can continue to evolve. It needs some reconfiguration and probably a low level parking deck to free up enough area for more free standing restaurants. The ones mentioned above prefer more free standing arrangements, or attached.

I do think that BELK should focus on one really good store in that area. It will raise the bar.

I have also previously said that the bar will raise in Mobile. It happens with time, which is very frustrating, but still at least know that Mobile moves higher up the list of prospects each year as most cities do. Also, we are still just coming out of a terrible economic period. Growth will not soon, or perhaps ever be as robust as before but when recovery is solid I think Mobile is ready for a big jump.

I would also point out that ten years ago Jacksonville was having this conversation. No national retail was clamoring to get into the market. I think it and Mobile share many similar demographics, so perhaps looking to Jax can project when and where things are going.

I love Mobile, so I can only hope the sooner the better.

Last edited by raj kapoor; 12-16-2014 at 04:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area