Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 11:56 PM

522 posts, read 695,049 times

Advertisements

Why is Mobile on that list? I think it's pretty evident. I can't see why anybody would be shocked about that. The city has a stigma of impoverishment and visiting certainly doesn't help clear up that connotation (from the many times that I've been there). People want fun, vibrant, clean, wealthy, open-minded, cultured cities. Does Mobile bring that to mind? No. Sorry, not sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 07:29 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Why is Mobile on that list? I think it's pretty evident. I can't see why anybody would be shocked about that. The city has a stigma of impoverishment and visiting certainly doesn't help clear up that connotation (from the many times that I've been there). People want fun, vibrant, clean, wealthy, open-minded, cultured cities. Does Mobile bring that to mind? No. Sorry, not sorry.
I doubt you've ever been here. Quit trolling.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:32 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times
Quote:
A lot of people around here seem to have this attitude. Okay, so maybe there are things to do, but, really, where is there work for creative young professionals? I'm just not seeing, especially if you have trouble talking and your work doesn't speak for itself.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:52 AM

59 posts, read 100,239 times
Quote:
Exactly. The parks in Mobile are awful. Look at other cities and how they use their waterfront areas, Mobile is terrible. Mobile is horrible for anyone who likes running, biking or being active. Visit a city like Chattanooga and then come back to Mobile and you realize that Mobile sucks for a city of its size.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernk View Post
Exactly. The parks in Mobile are awful. Look at other cities and how they use their waterfront areas, Mobile is terrible. Mobile is horrible for anyone who likes running, biking or being active. Visit a city like Chattanooga and then come back to Mobile and you realize that Mobile sucks for a city of its size.
How do you get things to change? There are people, like me, here who aren't leaving soon but want to go somewhere else because this place isn't meeting our needs.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:48 PM

59 posts, read 100,239 times
I think Mobile now has leadership that "gets it" and is addressing quality of life issues, but how many years will it take Mobile to catch up to other cities?
There are too many people in Mobile who don't want to pay for anything new or any improvements. All they care about is keeping their costs/taxes as low as possible. The median income of Mobile is too low for Mobile to prosper right now. I don't see it changing unless there is a focus to bring in more white collar jobs.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernk View Post
I think Mobile now has leadership that "gets it" and is addressing quality of life issues, but how many years will it take Mobile to catch up to other cities?
There are too many people in Mobile who don't want to pay for anything new or any improvements. All they care about is keeping their costs/taxes as low as possible. The median income of Mobile is too low for Mobile to prosper right now. I don't see it changing unless there is a focus to bring in more white collar jobs.
Until then, I think I'm stuck looking for a job out of state. There are few opportunities to prosper as a writer or teacher in this area. The market for English / Language Arts teachers seems to be glutted.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:54 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
mobile deserved to be on the list, I been here since 76, the city has gone from a small friendly town, to a city that wants to be a copy of atlanta. I see daily people leaving for baldwin county for the simple friendly atmosphere.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:49 AM

688 posts, read 1,205,930 times
How exactly is Mobile trying to emulate Atlanta of all cities?

Also, stop deluding yourself into thinking Baldwin County will retain any charm as it copes with rapid suburbanization.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:21 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Last I checked Atlanta was one of the most prosperous metros in the south. Anyways Mobile is not trying to be Atlanta !!

For one , the only true recreational amenities that we are lacking is DOWNTOWN waterfront acces and bike lanes .If you enjoy kayaking then you have the option to kayak I Arlington park , Chikasabogue park , Dog River , and the best kept secret the Mobile delta. If you want to jog and work out well there is langan park , USA campus , Spring Hill campus , Cottage Hill park , there is a biking trail behind USA , and so many other parks to use. Also USA is always hosting intramural sports as well and It is open to the general public to watch and participate. So call me crazy but I don't see how there is a lack of options for out door recreation ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area