Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 06:40 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,267,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Still MPC over a 10 year average Mobile's murder rate is hovering around 30 a year with 250k residents in the MPD jurisdictaion.That's not bad at all.
That's what I'm saying, it's not as bad as most people think. Thirty per year over 250k puts the rate at 12 which isn't bad. I seen Mobile on FBI most dangerous list at number 7 a few years ago and thought who's putting this list together over there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 06:52 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPortCity View Post
That's what I'm saying, it's not as bad as most people think. Thirty per year over 250k puts the rate at 12 which isn't bad. I seen Mobile on FBI most dangerous list at number 7 a few years ago and thought who's putting this list together over there
At number 7 ?! Really ?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:01 AM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,267,624 times
I think it was in 2007 and it had Mobile at 7th most dangerous. It may have just been an article but I'm sure the writer had no idea about Mobile. It was on major news sites

Old 03-24-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPortCity View Post
I think it was in 2007 and it had Mobile at 7th most dangerous. It may have just been an article but I'm sure the writer had no idea about Mobile. It was on major news sites
Wow intiresting smh.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:01 AM

59 posts, read 100,256 times
They have been aggressive in eliminating the worst spots for crime. Good for Mayor Stimpson and Chief Barber. If Stimpson can get reelected, Mobile will make a huge step in the right direction to becoming the great city it can be.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:51 PM

40 posts, read 55,410 times
I think Stimpson has good chance at reelection. Sam Jones wasnt a bad mayor. But the Stimpson administration definitely seems more transparent. And he balanced the budget, which was long over due.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:54 PM

386 posts, read 1,217,051 times
crickets are sure loud now. Still waiting for that crime wave of massive death...lol!

Old 08-11-2015, 09:17 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
I saw this thread and was puzzled, since I read the article below earlier this year when I was in Alabama. To be completely honest, I never made it to Mobile, since it was such a long drive from The Rookery (Fort Morgan) where I was staying. I drove around Fairhope and Daphne, however. Mobile has a lot more homes on the market and the prices are much lower than those communities, which makes it more desirable to someone on a tight budget.

Anyway, this article shows an increase in Mobile crime and other posters on City-Data threads warn that Mobile is dangerous. I'm not trying to make waves here, since I'm only an outsider trying to get the right information.

[url=http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/01/crime_rates_in_early_2014_fell.html]Crime rates in early 2014 fell nationally, varied among Alabama cities | AL.com[/url]

Old 08-12-2015, 12:36 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,860,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
other posters on City-Data threads warn that Mobile is dangerous. I'm not trying to make waves here, since I'm only an outsider trying to get the right information.
This is only true for certain small areas of Mobile. Mobile as a whole is not dangerous.

Most of the posters that say any different either have an agenda or are trolling.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
This is only true for certain small areas of Mobile. Mobile as a whole is not dangerous.

Most of the posters that say any different either have an agenda or are trolling.
I agree it's no different than any other city.It's rare that someone is a victim of random crime in Mobile.Majority of the time those who are victims have some sort of association or live a strange life style.

I really hate that she didn't get a chance to visit Mobile and I hope it was not out of fear Mobile is a beutiful city. I have never been a victim of crime and the reason is because the life style I choose to live.That very same article mentioned that Huntsville's crime increased by 2% in 2014. Both cities had similiar murder rates .I'm sure if you were to talk to a Huntsvillian they would say they feel safe.

Also when I compare Mobile to other cities it's size on various city comparison websites. Mobile's crime rate is usually equal or less than it's pier cities. Mobile police cover 253,00 residents so it's pier cities would be places like Baton Rouge , Little Rock , Huntsville , Birmingham , Montgomery , Augusta , Chatanooga and etc. Crime states are given by city police jurisdiction . 2014 Mobile had 31 murders that's Mobile's yearly average sometimes it's less but 31 out of 253k is not bad .

Last edited by PortCity; 08-12-2015 at 07:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area