Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 05:00 PM

7 posts, read 35,894 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at Gulf Coast cities for possible relocation. I want to get as close to the Gulf as possible without giving up metropolitan conveniences and culture. He wants to find ethnically diverse areas for possible growth potential. He is african-american and I am white.

Are there any middle class communities in Mobile that we both would feel comfortable in? (For comparisons Montrose area in Houston, Harlem area in NYC, French Quarter in NOLA.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 PM

18,930 posts, read 43,268,266 times
I'm not trying to be smart here, but the neighborhoods that are considered "diverse" are typically in a state of decline with sinking home values and are becoming less diverse every day. The best neighborhoods are usually mostly white. You wouldn't have a problem as a mixed couple in a mostly white neighborhood because most people mind their own business, but it just depends on what you are looking for.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:03 AM

7 posts, read 35,894 times
Thanks for your candor. I like the look of some of the historical districts - lower dauphin street, etc. Any thoughts about an area like that?

Old 01-22-2008, 11:45 AM

18,930 posts, read 43,268,266 times
Check the Canal St. - Monroe St. area. It's near downtown and the water. It has undergone lots of revitalization lately and is fairly diverse including wealthy gay/lesbian couples. It's within walking distance to museums , restaurants, IMAX theater, nightclubs, mardi gras, etc. It's also near the docks, so you could probably see cruise ships docking from your home. There are some bad neighborhoods surrounding this area, but that's going to be just about any city.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 9,439 times
Default yes. . . but not sure about your comparisons

i personally think the oakleigh historic district is really beautiful. i lived in midtown mobile for several years, and i loved it. i wouldn't exactly compare it to harlem or the french quarter, however. midtown mobile is more like the garden district in new orleans.

i've not spent enough time in houston or nyc to make adequate comparisons, but i wouldn't equate any part of mobile to the french quarter. the french quarter is mostly tourist attractions and parties, and none of the residential areas in mobile are like that.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:07 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,067,479 times
What about the area around Murphy HS? I can't remember the name but I visisted a friend there last year. The area is seeing a resurrgence according to my friend.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:55 PM

247 posts, read 1,105,754 times
Oakleigh Garden District in Mobile has a diverse and friendly population. There are many mixed race couples, some of whom are high-profile and very sharp individuals. Leinkauf neighborhood, too. Oakleigh is 1 mile or so from downtown; Leinkauf about 2 miles. Both have great neighborhood associations.

There are homes of different sizes and the back area is ripe for redoing. Certain streets are well-known and command high prices but the whole area could have that potential.
In my opinion, gentrification is really hitting hard and many African- Americans seem to decide to sell or move to West Mobile. You would be most welcome here and you both would be happy, I think.

Church Street East, which is downtown, is a similar area. The neighborhoods that surround it are fine; a couple of years ago, my child went to the magnet school in those neighborhoods so I saw daily life around there for 3 years. It's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
View detailed profiles of: