Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 09:38 AM

14 posts, read 20,023 times

Advertisements

i noticed that this standard white tag:

is quite uncommon (like under 10%) while the green standard one is very common:

i find it very unusual for this bible belt.

my explanation is people prefer green color. my wife thinks people are afraid to show if they are religious.

who is right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 09:44 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,622,243 times
Even a lot of people who are religious don't consider it so important that they want a license plate advertising it. Doesn't mean they're "afraid to show they are religious" - it's just not worth the extra 15 or 20 bucks to have on their license plate.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Even a lot of people who are religious don't consider it so important that they want a license plate advertising it. Doesn't mean they're "afraid to show they are religious" - it's just not worth the extra 15 or 20 bucks to have on their license plate.
no extra $15-20. this is a standard plate. you have a choice of white or green.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:59 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,622,243 times
Oh, that's not considered a vanity plate or special interest plate? My mistake. Some states it is; I thought I'd been told that Alabama was one.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:06 AM

3,505 posts, read 761,223 times
I don't remember if I was offered a choice .. if so I would have taken the white .. not for religious reasons but just cause it looks better ...

Old 06-23-2015, 10:11 AM

401 posts, read 535,902 times
I love our green hills tag. Almost as good as the beach one, which might've been our best ever.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:14 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
I got the green one because I thought it was more attractive.

but no way the white one is under 10%. i see a ton of them. probably not 50%, but i'd guess at least 25%.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I got the green one because I thought it was more attractive.
yeah, that supports my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
but no way the white one is under 10%. i see a ton of them. probably not 50%, but i'd guess at least 25%.
you have to look closely. my neighbors have all white ones but on close inspection, they are help the schools vanity ones.

Edit:
full disclosure, i have both white and green ones on different cars/boat trailers. the white one fits my white car much better color wise.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:44 AM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,266,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackblack View Post
i noticed that this standard white tag:

is quite uncommon (like under 10%) while the green standard one is very common:

i find it very unusual for this bible belt.

my explanation is people prefer green color. my wife thinks people are afraid to show if they are religious.

who is right?
The standard tag is this one

The reason you see that one more is because that is the standard one not the white one. The white is not a standard tag.

This one here below:

This one is a specialty tag. You have to pay extra for this one. Not a standard tag

The fact that you even see this tag shows people commitment to their religion. If this were standard, you'd see it just as much as the green one.

Standard Tags http://revenue.alabama.gov/motorvehicle/standard.cfm
Specialty Tags http://revenue.alabama.gov/motorvehicle/specialty.cfm

Old 06-23-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPortCity View Post
The standard tag is this one

The reason you see that one more is because that is the standard one not the white one. The white is not a standard tag.

This one here below:

This one is a specialty tag. You have to pay extra for this one. Not a standard tag

The fact that you even see this tag shows people commitment to their religion. If this were standard, you'd see it just as much as the green one.

Standard Tags Alabama Department of Revenue - Motor Vehicles
Specialty Tags Alabama Department of Revenue - Motor Vehicles
well, this is news to me. when i was issued new plates, in 2013 and 2014 (as recently as end of December 2014 for my son's car), both white and green were regular plates with no extra fee. i will double check the registration receipts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area