Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 09:59 AM

6,631 posts, read 4,296,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
Haha... you really are dense. Mobile started out like 5-25% of the size of those cities 30/40 years ago. What, are you next going to compare growth in Shanghai versus growth in Mobile?
Austin and many of these did not start off as large as they are today. There's no use in continuing this because it's not going to change the fact that many are not willing to view Mobile objectively, and until that happens, I doubt that real growth can take place. The level of defensiveness is unreal...Very little has changed. The people in Mobile with money send their kids to St. Paul's or UMS-Wright (the MCPSS is predominately minority). There has been and continues to be an exodus of whites from Mobile to the Eastern Shore, leaving Mobile less diverse. Many 'old' Mobilians with money have homes in Point Clear (on the Eastern shore, which some of you have denegrated) and head there in the summer on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 10:00 AM

1,499 posts, read 1,857,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Mac View Post
I honestly think people haven't been to downtown Mobile within the last year or two and think it's the same ole same ole down there. It's a completely different place than it was 2 years ago (really 1 year ago too).

I love when my friends come home for vacation and I take them through midtown and downtown and watch their jaws drop ha
I know... and downtown/midtown are only accelerating faster. I look forward to the day the last crappy surface parking lot or auto-centric building/development is sold for another development.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I honestly think people haven't been to downtown Mobile within the last year or two and think it's the same ole same ole down there. It's a completely different place than it was 2 years ago (really 1 year ago too).

I love when my friends come home for vacation and I take them through midtown and downtown and watch their jaws drop ha
You have no idea how much we travel, but it is extensive. We have been to most of the 50 states and many countries... Care to compare? I think I know the answer.. (meant for Southsky)

Old 01-05-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Austin and many of these did not start off as large as they are today. There's no use in continuing this because it's not going to change the fact that many are not willing to view Mobile objectively, and until that happens, I doubt that real growth can take place. The level of defensiveness is unreal...Very little has changed. The people in Mobile with money send their kids to St. Paul's or UMS-Wright (the MCPSS is predominately minority). There has been and continues to be an exodus of whites from Mobile to the Eastern Shore, leaving Mobile less diverse. Many 'old' Mobilians with money have homes in Point Clear (on the Eastern shore, which some of you have denegrated) and head there in the summer on the weekends.
It's obvious you have no clue. The problem with debating folks like you is we're operating on two different protocols. We're operating on facts and you're operating on old innuendo. The only line you have is that the private schools get kids enrolled. "Less diverse"... what? If anything Mobile is a bigger melting pot (Whites are 45%, Blacks are 48%, Asians/Hispanics 5%). I'm beginning to question your sanity.

Did you know the current average value of a home in Mobile has never been higher?
Did you know the port container terminal is the fastest growing in North America?
Did you know there are more condos/apts being brought to market right now in downtown/midtown than were even in existence 10 years ago?
Did you know 25 new restaurants have opened downtown in the last couple of years?
Did you know Mobile is currently constructing a greenway and bike trail that will connect the University of South Alabama to downtown and Brookley Field?

on and on and on...

Old 01-05-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
You have no idea how much we travel, but it is extensive. We have been to most of the 50 states and many countries... Care to compare? I think I know the answer.. (meant for Southsky)
It's very well apparent from your posts you haven't traveled extensively to Mobile recently.

Only US states/populated territories I have not been to: Vermont, Maine, Idaho, Dakotas, Saipan
Countries I visit/travel to often: Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, Ireland, UK, Spain, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Croatia, Chile, Lebanon, China, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan...

Old 01-05-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
It's obvious you have no clue. The problem with debating folks like you is we're operating on two different protocols. We're operating on facts and you're operating on old innuendo. The only line you have is that the private schools get kids enrolled. "Less diverse"... what? If anything Mobile is a bigger melting pot (Whites are 45%, Blacks are 48%, Asians/Hispanics 5%). I'm beginning to question your sanity.

Did you know the current average value of a home in Mobile has never been higher?
Did you know the port container terminal is the fastest growing in North America?
Did you know there are more condos/apts being brought to market right now in downtown/midtown than were even in existence 10 years ago?
Did you know 25 new restaurants have opened downtown in the last couple of years?
Did you know Mobile is currently constructing a greenway and bike trail that will connect the University of South Alabama to downtown and Brookley Field?

on and on and on...
#1. Not unique to Mobile. True in many cities.
#2. This is great news.
#3. This is true in many cities, not unique to Mobile.
#4. Not unique to Mobile.
#5. Really. How many people will feel safe riding on the bike trail?

Old 01-05-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
#2. This is great news.
#1 Why in the world does it matter if this isn't unique to Mobile?
#2 There's more than that
#3 Why in the world does it matter if this isn't unique to Mobile?
#4 Why in the world does it matter if this isn't unique to Mobile?
#5 You'd know if you do a *little* research that there are already bike rides with hundreds of inidividuals plying the routes south of the greenway (which is under construction) already. I'd guess since they're repeat customers they feel safe enough

Old 01-05-2018, 10:21 AM

426 posts, read 382,511 times
Quote:
#2. This is great news.
Wait is the new "success" line for Mobile now if things are unique or not?

Old 01-05-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Wait is the new "success" line for Mobile now if things are unique or not?
Ol' lizap is moving the goalposts because he/she can't construct a coherent thesis.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:29 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,151,507 times
Quote:
Worse than Airport Blvd? How is the public school system in Mobile?
Only a closed minded untraveled individual would consider Airport as the model of high traffic. It is one of Mobile's main arteries and it should have more traffic than any highway in Baldwin because Mobile's city population is about 90% of Baldwin's county population. Someone from Bimringham would laugh at you if you were to complain about Airport traffic when they have hwy 280 lol. Go and complain to a Baton Rouge resident about traffic on Airport and you would get the same reaction from a Birmingham resident.

And the sad part about those with a mindset like Lizap is that the video was about the positive strides the city have achieved in 2017. Yet you want to dwell on negatives ? Progress doesn't happen overnight and neither does anti progress. What was mentioned in the video were all facts. And I'm not saying that Mobile don't have issues because she does but to over look the progress that the city has done would be just as ignorant as overlooking the issues. It takes time ! I repeat it takes time to see harvest from any seed that is planted no matter what the soil is. And Mobile has been planting good seeds and we're do for harvest and harvest time will come.

Again as I've said before.Good things are happening in Mobile and Mobile is on the move for greatness in every aspect.From the economy, crime, and eductaion. And notice I didn't mention traffic because that comes with growth ! Only ignorance would ignore progress just it would ignore issues.

Last edited by PortCity; 01-05-2018 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: http://www.mobilesredlightdistrict.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area