Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2019, 11:29 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,858,645 times

Advertisements

The Alabama jurisdiction laws applied to most of the affected homeowners vis-a-vis city services before the Sam Jones era annexations.

As for people living outside the city, it truly is rich to hear those that complain about the city doing this or not doing that, when they made a conscious decision to not live in the city and live next to the city. Talk about having your cake and eating it too! Fortunately, those people are in the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 05:31 PM

688 posts, read 1,205,930 times
Dressbarn is in the process of shuttering its space near Dillard’s; they’ve been in that location for the last five years or so.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:29 AM

426 posts, read 382,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_regis View Post
Dressbarn is in the process of shuttering its space near Dillard’s; they’ve been in that location for the last five years or so.
Never shopped there, but always thought that was a terrible name for a women's clothing store.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:25 AM

Dressbarn hasn't been profitable in a while, and the parent company (Ascena) has been trimming locations as it tightens up its portfolio of brands. For now, the only remaining Dressbarn will be at Tanger Outlets Foley.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:40 AM

562 posts, read 665,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_regis View Post
Dressbarn hasn't been profitable in a while, and the parent company (Ascena) has been trimming locations as it tightens up its portfolio of brands. For now, the only remaining Dressbarn will be at Tanger Outlets Foley.
I wouldn't be surprised to see sister store Lane Bryant shift down into this location, much like they took over the former Maurice's store (another Ascena store).

Bel Air is not the only mall they've been doing this at...they have been consolidating this way for the past several years now to take advantage of existing leases and profitable stores and trimming when sales don't meet expectations and leases are up.

I just hope there's some more action on the leasing end. The mall has drifted a long way from it's earlier predictions and the retail apocalypse has not been kind as of late. Will we ever see the Cheesecake Factory that was rumored to replace Forever21 or was it just a way for them to slip out with little notice?

Old 05-17-2019, 12:53 PM

21 posts, read 20,386 times
I was in Tallahassee on business this week. I noticed their Trader Joe’s was in an older shopping strip mall style shopping center next to an older TMaxx. Tallahassee is much smaller than Mobile. The old Belk wing would be perfect for a Nordstrom Rack, Neiman Marcus Last Call outlet, and a Trader Joe and a renovated trim downed Target.

Each time I go the Summit in Birmingham, I count about 35-40 stores that would easily be successful in Mobile. They now have a West Elm. Banana Republic would thrive in Mobile.

Bel Air is dead with its current tenant lineup. Other than PF Chang, Dillard’s, and Belk, there is nothing for me.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:15 PM

290 posts, read 382,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile City Guy View Post
I was in Tallahassee on business this week. I noticed their Trader Joe’s was in an older shopping strip mall style shopping center next to an older TMaxx. Tallahassee is much smaller than Mobile. The old Belk wing would be perfect for a Nordstrom Rack, Neiman Marcus Last Call outlet, and a Trader Joe and a renovated trim downed Target.

Each time I go the Summit in Birmingham, I count about 35-40 stores that would easily be successful in Mobile. They now have a West Elm. Banana Republic would thrive in Mobile.

Bel Air is dead with its current tenant lineup. Other than PF Chang, Dillard’s, and Belk, there is nothing for me.
Nah, I would like Dave and Buster's or Round 1 USA to be in the old Belk space because Bel Air Mall must have a funplex entertainment.

The fun in Mobile has never been the same since Player's arcade (not nail salon has its space) next to McDonald's (Rue 21) was closed down during the recent renovation a few years ago. Player's Arcade was one of the places that made Bel Air Mall a fun mall to hang around at. They need to focus on bringing Dave and Buster's and Round 1 USA to bring the joy to the kids and families. I would support either one of them.

Oh and Little Cottontail has moved to the same shopping center Rouse Market at on Old Shell Road also. There are about 20 vacant spaces so far and Payless will be next very soon. It's almost entry by the current Belk wing.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:30 PM

Banana Republic isn’t in expansion mode and actually closed most of their existing Alabama locations. I highly doubt they would open a new store in south Alabama. West Elm could work on Bel Air’s streetscape.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:52 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtv411 View Post

I just hope there's some more action on the leasing end. The mall has drifted a long way from it's earlier predictions and the retail apocalypse has not been kind as of late. Will we ever see the Cheesecake Factory that was rumored to replace Forever21 or was it just a way for them to slip out with little notice?
Cheesecake Factory likes significantly bigger metro areas and seems to want a million person metro area before they even think of an outpost there. So Birmingham makes the cut but Mobile won't.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:37 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Cheesecake Factory likes significantly bigger metro areas and seems to want a million person metro area before they even think of an outpost there. So Birmingham makes the cut but Mobile won't.
They have them in markets that are less than 1 million such as Knoxville ,Little Rock ,Des Moines and etc.Those 1 Million metro guidlines are slowly fading away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area