Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2019, 06:53 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Here's the history of what is now called Parkway Place. It's been around in several forms since 1957, and has had several different names. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkway_Place

Enclosed malls are not "the thing" anymore, and lots of them have closed across the country. I suppose people just like new and different things. Bridge Street here is a very upscale outdoor shopping center, and is quite popular even though it's hot in the summer and cold during the winter. I personally like the comfort of indoor shopping but apparently not everybody likes it that way.
See it was torn down and rebuilt in 2002.Bel -Air is the oldest surving mall in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 07:49 AM

562 posts, read 665,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
See it was torn down and rebuilt in 2002.Bel -Air is the oldest surving mall in the state.
And Bel Air soldiers on since it is the only game in town and gets a fresh coat of paint and some new stores every couple of years.

Other malls in other cities have either died off or evolved because of their competition.

Look at Springdale, started as a strip mall in the 50s, added enclosed corridors in the 70s and 80s, and later de-malled these areas for big box stores.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:49 PM

290 posts, read 382,773 times
https://www.al.com/news/2019/07/raci...l-lawsuit.html Well, the future of this mall is not in jeopardy.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:28 PM

15 posts, read 21,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoroanime View Post
https://www.al.com/news/2019/07/raci...l-lawsuit.html Well, the future of this mall is not in jeopardy.
This is sad, the public shame of it all. Sending love to the kids involved. The dogs are there to keep the mall drug-free, not to attack patrons.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:40 PM

15 posts, read 21,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtv411 View Post
While four-laning helps with local traffic to an extent, the Bel Air area is more accessible being near the interstates.
They're four-laning to assist with the half-way completed Hancock Whitney Stadium's future traffic at South Alabama from I-10 West.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:06 AM

This is a story about a Brookfield mall in the outskirts of Cleveland and how they are planning on evolving with the times. This is far-and-away the premier mall in the area with a Saks and Nordstrom as anchors.
https://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/...cb4e852e6.html

One of the takeaways from the story is Brookfield's plans for their malls in the future. Malls like Beachwood will get top priority while bottom tier properties will get drastically redeveloped or sold off.

Which brings up Bel Air, after Rouse (the prior owners) started the renovation and how it never really lived up to expectations thanks to competing leases and the decline of the retail sector. I hate to say it, but it seems like Bel Air could be sold off again, like the many times in the past where it has been passed around from company to company without any dedidcation to making it a better mall.

The mall in the story was developed by the original Rouse Properties, which merged with General Growth Properties (GGP). The Rouse that bought Bel Air was a spin-off of GGP. Brookfield later bought Rouse then GGP so its all the same company again...

Old 07-12-2019, 01:45 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtv411 View Post
This is a story about a Brookfield mall in the outskirts of Cleveland and how they are planning on evolving with the times. This is far-and-away the premier mall in the area with a Saks and Nordstrom as anchors.
https://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/...cb4e852e6.html

One of the takeaways from the story is Brookfield's plans for their malls in the future. Malls like Beachwood will get top priority while bottom tier properties will get drastically redeveloped or sold off.

Which brings up Bel Air, after Rouse (the prior owners) started the renovation and how it never really lived up to expectations thanks to competing leases and the decline of the retail sector. I hate to say it, but it seems like Bel Air could be sold off again, like the many times in the past where it has been passed around from company to company without any dedidcation to making it a better mall.

The mall in the story was developed by the original Rouse Properties, which merged with General Growth Properties (GGP). The Rouse that bought Bel Air was a spin-off of GGP. Brookfield later bought Rouse then GGP so its all the same company again...
IMO, The mall was ahelathier before Rouse purchased it. I love the art deco look and the fancy lighting but it was much more healthier prior to them.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:37 PM

Bel Air Mall recently added two arcade games and 3 more prize games. Jurassic Park Arcade (I think Lazer Zone and Pete's Party Castle both have that and it's location near Coffee Monster and Chik-Fil-A) and Halo: Fireteam Raven (it was originally an exclusive arcade to Dave and Buster's last year and it's also location in the Belk wing.). There are two prize games standing by both arcade games respectively. There is also an another Key Master game (over a different name on its cover) location near American Deli and Hot Topic.

There must be proof that we might have another locally owned arcade inside the mall. It would be a good idea to at leave open large room to put all these machines to make room for more kiosks.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:50 AM

Petrie's a long-time tenant which actually got a new store location because of the renovation, is closing.
https://www.facebook.com/WKRG.Devon....s/383242797011

2020 could be a make or break year for the mall. The condition of JCPenney as a whole could bring on a whole new set of challenges...and from what is being said, it does not look good.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jc-pe...125244790.html

Old 12-28-2019, 02:08 PM

I think Bel Air Mall should take inspiration from Philadelphia's Fashion District which has AMC and newly opened Round One Bowling and Amusement. This mall needs a revamp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area