Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2020, 11:00 AM

69 posts, read 70,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I understand and I agree.I know that Mobile can support it.Legacy is an indicator it's just isn't big enough.And no I don't think they are trying hard enough or if it's even on the radar for them.They are really old lol but a change is coming that's for sure slow but it's coming.

I just did a scan between both the Huntsville and Mobile areas retail.Huntsville has a slight edge but not as big as I thought tbh with BEL-AIR,Legacy, and ESC.When you factor in The Tanger Outlet then I think Mobile/Baldwin may have the leg up or pretty much neck and neck.Mobile does need a Brdge Street to pull it all together along with something like "The Main Event".

For the most part we have all of the big names if you factor Bel-Air, Legacy, ESC, and The Tanger Outlet except an Apple Store which is crazy.
I, out of curiosity one day, emailed the people at ESC. God have they have been dropping tenants like flies! Forever 21 left there soon after they opened. They've also lost harming Charlie's, Justice, American Eagle, Jos A Bank, and Victoria’s Secret in the last few months. Most of these aren't even upscale... They are midscale stores that shopping malls in much smaller places like Dothan and Anniston/Oxford have no problem holding on to. The place has more empty store fronts than filled ones. If one of their anchors... Dillard's or Belk ever decides to leave... someone may need to have a serious conversation as to whether it would be best to just cut losses and raze the place to the ground. They also mentioned how they have reached out to Trader Joe's, Sprouts, Apple and Dave and Busters (which tells me that ALOT of people in the Mobile/Baldwin area have been emailing/calling them about what they would like added), and said that all four of those retailers gave them a quick no reply. I'm sure they all have seen and noticed the abysmal turnover rate at ESC. Like I said in the beginning... I don't know why ESC was even built where it is.. horrible location. West Mobile, Foley (near OWA and the outlet mall), Daphne or even Gulf Shores/Orange Beach would have been far better locations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 11:24 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmullen99 View Post
I, out of curiosity one day, emailed the people at ESC. God have they have been dropping tenants like flies! Forever 21 left there soon after they opened. They've also lost harming Charlie's, Justice, American Eagle, Jos A Bank, and Victoria’s Secret in the last few months. Most of these aren't even upscale... They are midscale stores that shopping malls in much smaller places like Dothan and Anniston/Oxford have no problem holding on to. The place has more empty store fronts than filled ones. If one of their anchors... Dillard's or Belk ever decides to leave... someone may need to have a serious conversation as to whether it would be best to just cut losses and raze the place to the ground. They also mentioned how they have reached out to Trader Joe's, Sprouts, Apple and Dave and Busters (which tells me that ALOT of people in the Mobile/Baldwin area have been emailing/calling them about what they would like added), and said that all four of those retailers gave them a quick no reply. I'm sure they all have seen and noticed the abysmal turnover rate at ESC. Like I said in the beginning... I don't know why ESC was even built where it is.. horrible location. West Mobile, Foley (near OWA and the outlet mall), Daphne or even Gulf Shores/Orange Beach would have been far better locations
I agree man smh.I had no idea they lost Jos A Bank they lost William Sonoma to Legacy which works in Mobile's favor. Forever 21 left Bel -Air because of rental rates but should have moved to McGregor instead.I don't know why retail stores can't gain footing in the Eastern Shore area. Tdd hebDillards and Belk in the ESC could pack up and set up shop Saraland

Have you ever been to the Dillards in Mobile ? I think it punches above it's weight when it come to upscale /midscale name brands.

Last edited by PortCity; 10-30-2020 at 11:37 AM..

Old 12-04-2020, 06:24 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Any info on the old TGI Fridays location ?I see construction.

Old 12-04-2020, 12:07 PM

651 posts, read 476,179 times
Are they ever going to do anything with the old Carmike 14 building?

Hasn't been like 4 years since that place closed?

Old 12-07-2020, 07:33 AM

426 posts, read 382,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Are they ever going to do anything with the old Carmike 14 building?

Hasn't been like 4 years since that place closed?
Closed in 2012. Just not a good area so they will probably have to demo it and do something new there

Old 12-07-2020, 07:00 PM

310 posts, read 387,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Mac View Post
Closed in 2012. Just not a good area so they will probably have to demo it and do something new there

That's depressing! I remember when they built it- I think the first movie I saw there was "The Last Boy Scout."

It was also fun to eat at the Applebee's there and play goofy golf at Mountasia.

With the area's decline, I think the last time I went there was in 2010.

Old 12-08-2020, 05:28 PM

651 posts, read 476,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Mac View Post

People actually think it’s unsafe over there? Off Demetropolis?

Old 12-08-2020, 09:43 PM

21 posts, read 20,386 times
Springdale cinemas is being demolished today.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:56 PM

313 posts, read 249,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
People actually think it’s unsafe over there? Off Demetropolis?
No I don’t think so. That general area seems to have nice well kept older typical middle class neighborhoods and pockets of older money throughout.

I always associated parts of that area ( landowne, crestview, skyland park,Canterbury heights, vista ridge)as Tillman’s corner neighborhoods for some reason, although it is in west Mobile.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:29 AM

53 posts, read 71,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile City Guy View Post
Springdale cinemas is being demolished today.
I was wondering why they had that whole area fenced off. Any known plans for the land?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area