Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 8,085 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to the Mobile area and would like to know what are the more popular areas for housing - my criteria includes new construction, commuting distance,housing appreciation and community growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2006, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 8,076 times
Default Good Mobile Areas

There is alot of new construction in the West Mobile area. This is the area off of Cottage Hill Rd. and Airport Blvd. It is about a 30-40 minute commute to downtown Mobile depending on what time and which way you go, about 25 minutes to the malls, there are great schools out this way.

If you are single the midtown area is great. It is close to downtown and offers a great atmosphere for meeting new people and being close to the Dauphin street nightlife.

I hope this helps!!

Old 07-10-2006, 03:36 PM

8 posts, read 40,053 times
I am also trying to move to the West Mobile area, my husband works for the Beaurivage and will be commuting. We like the feel of Mobile better than Mississippi right now. Bless there hears it will be some time before they feel like neighborhoods again. I have triplet girls and I am looking for someone to help me figure out the best neighborhood or suburb of Mobile to look in. I want to rent something and then find a home to buy. My kids will be in preschool this hear and kindergarten next year. Any thoughts on good, family, and safe neighborhoods? Also, the area you were discussing, off Airport and Cottage Hill, is that commutable (not sure if this is a word) to Biloxi?

Old 07-13-2006, 12:40 AM

6 posts, read 28,112 times
Default West Mobile

We live in West Mobile and used to go to The Beau Rivage quite often for shows. It usually takes about 45 minutes. What price range would you be looking at for houses?

Old 07-17-2006, 11:53 AM

We are looking around 400-500k. We are really looking for a nice neighborhood because of our 4 year old triplets. Something with a neighborhood feel to it. Are there any gated communities in the area?

Old 07-17-2006, 12:48 PM

85 posts, read 524,438 times
Why in gods name would anyone move to mobile?

Old 07-18-2006, 01:33 PM

We feel like we have no choice. The housing market is incredibly overpriced in Mississippi, which is , I am assuming, due to Hurricane Katrina. Is Mobile really that bad?

Old 07-19-2006, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 8,078 times
Default Need Info on Dauphin Island Parkway

I am moving to Mobile and need information on area around 3577 Dauphin Island Parkway. Shoping areas, hospitals, crime rate. I am retired and like to fish. This is location of lower rent senior apts. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:36 AM

85 posts, read 524,438 times
Default Mobile

Brascia, I'll start by saying I was born raised here.

My sugestion is to not move here if you have a choice.I'm moving to Texas asap.Why? because I can.Most mid upper income persons move to daphne if they can to avoid mobile.Schools are the worst in the state. All of them even in west mobile.The town barely has 198k people and someone gets shot every day.D.I.P? you might as well move directly to hell.I have 2 kids and refuse to raise them here.I would gladly give up my 300k year practice and sell flowers by the side of the road to get out if I had to.The only gated community worth a crap is the isle of palms on sollie rd look it up.However if you are used to Mississippi it may not be that bad for you since you are used to a low quality of life.Commute to biloxi is ok from there.
In summary Mobile is the perfect place for someone who likes to eat at cheap buffets drink alot of beer take alot of anti deperssants rent movies and get nice and fat.

Midtown is also a perfect place if you don't care if your next door neighbor is a meth dealer ,you are a 22yo drug addict, and your place to score some cocaine IS Dauphin St. Be ready to pony up some cash for private schools if you move here.400-500k neighborhoods... all your kids friends will be in private school also.Because of a failing school system for the past 40 years the general population is nearly illiterate making finding employees nearly impossible.Doesn't matter though... no one wants to work around here anyway.Good luck

Old 07-20-2006, 08:45 AM

7 posts, read 35,686 times
Duncan St Clair, does speak the truth about Mobile. I myself, live across the bay from Mobile. I would not raise a my family there. I am not sure I am allowed to provide links but a very good place for you to start to gather information is, removed

The best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

GCT.
see profile

Last edited by Marka; 07-21-2006 at 02:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area