Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 11:26 AM

5 posts, read 5,077 times

Advertisements

Hi All: I've never lived in the South or downtown Mobile, but really enjoyed the folks I met there recently many of whom are involved in civic and community initiatives.

As a Californian working in the nonprofit sector (45yrs, white female), I'm accustomed to moving in and out of multiple worlds--it's a big crazy soup here of every demographic as you can imagine, Mexicans/Whites/Asians/Blacks/etc. Questions I have:

Who runs the town? I couldn't really seem to figure that out.
Can one part of town tell you much about what's going on in the other part of town?
Is there any kind of work or thinking going on about diversity in Mobile?
What are the key markers that distinguish different kinds of Mobilians?

Does Mobile have, or care about, community colleges?
Are there any public arts programs?
Do groups partner in any way to try and solve problems?
Just looking for some candid feedback here, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 12:59 PM

490 posts, read 464,186 times
Who runs the town? I don’t really know what you mean. We have a mayor and council form of government. If you are meaning by race……I would say our leadership is pretty even between black and white leaders. For the most part, they work together to get things done.

Can one part of town tell you much about what's going on in the other part of town? I would say No. There are areas of Mobile that are depressed and others that are flourishing. There are definitely poorer areas, middle class areas, and upper class areas like almost all cities of a certain size in America.

Is there any kind of work or thinking going on about diversity in Mobile? Yes, the city has been hosting meetings around town. Recently a group of African-American pastors have planned to conduct meetings in all the districts of the city to help facilitate a conversation about race.

What are the key markers that distinguish different kinds of Mobilians? Not sure how to answer this question. I would say the same markers that distinguish different kinds of people in any community in the US. Mostly race, income, and what neighborhood you live in.

Does Mobile have, or care about, community colleges? Yes, Bishop State Community college is located in Mobile and has several campuses throughout the city. Enterprise State also has an aviation community college at Brookley field near the Airbus manufacturing plant in Mobile. I think they have broken away way and are now a stand-alone aviation community college. Not 100% sure though. Faulkner State is also located in Baldwin County across the bay with three campuses. We also have one major public university (University of South Alabama), and two private colleges (Springhill College & University of Mobile).
Are there any public arts programs? Yes, there are several mostly run by the Mobile Arts Council and the City.

Do groups partner in any way to try and solve problems? Yes, there has been a lot of collaboration between different non-profits and government agencies to help solve a variety of problems in the community.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:50 PM

huge thanks. I really like the general vibe, I fell in with a few people who are living in Mid Town and generally excited about being there and working on stuff. I know I'd be giving up the San Gabriel Foothills where I live (hiking/biking) so I'm also looking for ways to engage with people who are into the outdoors. To complicate matters further, I run with a bunch of crazy women who troll flea markets and vintage sales so I'm going to want to get into that too if I move to Mobile.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:07 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,267,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stones Throw View Post
To complicate matters further, I run with a bunch of crazy women who troll flea markets and vintage sales so I'm going to want to get into that too if I move to Mobile.
If that's the case, Mobile does have a decent sized flea market but even better is that Mardi Gras Park is under construction in Downtown and will feature a open-air market as well.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:04 PM

That is music to my ears!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
View detailed profiles of: