Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,119 times

Advertisements

Im currently living in Missouri, i've visited Alabama a few times and fell in love. I have been looking at fairhope and was just wanting to know what to expect for a 20 year old guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 06:32 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,237,337 times
Fairhope is a lovely town however, a lot depends on your wants and desires. There aren't any major employers in the area. More of a touristy town especially during the spring/summer. Do you have a skill that you can utilize to make money?

I love Fairhope but not sure how it is for a 20 year old especially since there are a lot of retired people who live there

Old 03-20-2016, 09:18 AM

1,506 posts, read 1,870,504 times
Fairhope is a beautiful place, but its entertainment and arts options are limited. As a 20 year old, I would assume you would be active socially and Fairhope would not be the best place for this. Though nearby Mobile has the restaurants/bars/venues a 20 year old would typically frequent, it is a good 30-40 minute drive (and the route is typically subject to excessive traffic delays).

As Keeper said, employment would be an issue, but there are also the housing costs (if you decided to live in the heart of Fairhope) which are quite steep for the typical 20 year old.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:22 PM

13,692 posts, read 8,005,349 times
Fairhope is a beautiful town, but its "things to do" are mainly geared toward retirees and families. Not sure if it's ideal for a 20 year old, but it all depends on what you're looking for.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:49 PM

240 posts, read 467,780 times
Younger people tend to live in Mobile. Across the bay is more suburban families and retirees. Not much of a young professional crowd out that way.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:36 PM

6 posts, read 9,535 times
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but the family and I are thinking about going down to Fairhope, AL. How is the cost of living there and activities such as sports for the kids? Would the locals be kind to kids about to go into High School. I know with small southern towns, they usually arent to nice to the new kids.

We are looking for a small town like Fairhope. (Anywhere in southeast is where we want to be other than FL) We used to live in a nice town here in TN but it has been run over with drugs so we got out of there but we sure miss the little town life.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:08 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,704,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggles13 View Post
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but the family and I are thinking about going down to Fairhope, AL. How is the cost of living there and activities such as sports for the kids? Would the locals be kind to kids about to go into High School. I know with small southern towns, they usually arent to nice to the new kids.

We are looking for a small town like Fairhope. (Anywhere in southeast is where we want to be other than FL) We used to live in a nice town here in TN but it has been run over with drugs so we got out of there but we sure miss the little town life.
The south end of Baldwin County is fairly transient, there's people there from everywhere.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:04 PM

275 posts, read 537,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggles13 View Post

We're transplanted New Englanders who moved here 40+ years ago due to my husband's job. We live in West Mobile, but get to Fairhope frequently. It is a gem of a place, with pretty good schools, good restaurants, a lovely downtown area, and easy access to Mobile Bay. It is more progressive than some other areas here, with people from all over. The real estate prices are high-ish, but resale value is good. I really love Fairhope, and we may consider it for retirement a few years down the road.

Interesting that you're in Tennessee. Our daughter and family are in Hixson (Chattanooga) and love the area, as do we.

Best of luck.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:53 AM

231 posts, read 229,528 times
Why in the world would you move to Fairhope?

There are much more lively cities close by. Mobile? Maybe. But if you're coming this far, you may as well moved to Florida where there is no state income tax.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:15 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,410,808 times
No, Fairhope is the ultimate area in south Alabama, Mobile is not a perferred site anymore, high crime, bad schools, unemployment. People are leaving for the county and area like Fairhope, Silverhill, Foley, Robertsdale. Even my company left Mobile due to the crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area