Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 10:18 AM

21 posts, read 20,388 times

Advertisements

I saw on WKRG last night where developers are planning a new 500,000 sq ft shopping center on the old Brewer property site on Schillengers Rd in West Mobile. This does not have to be good news for Rouse Properties and Bel Air Mall. With all the violence at the mall in recent months and the fact that the WAVE bus service does not service that area of West Mobile, I can see retailers wanting to bolt Bel Air for the new area and new retailers would choose the new development over Bel Air. To be 500,000 sq ft, I imagine it would have 1 or 2 Department Stores for the development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 10:23 AM

310 posts, read 387,831 times
Thanks for the info. I'm interested to see how this unfolds!

Old 01-24-2018, 11:04 AM

53 posts, read 71,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile City Guy View Post
I saw on WKRG last night where developers are planning a new 500,000 sq ft shopping center on the old Brewer property site on Schillengers Rd in West Mobile. This does not have to be good news for Rouse Properties and Bel Air Mall. With all the violence at the mall in recent months and the fact that the WAVE bus service does not service that area of West Mobile, I can see retailers wanting to bolt Bel Air for the new area and new retailers would choose the new development over Bel Air. To be 500,000 sq ft, I imagine it would have 1 or 2 Department Stores for the development.
Meh. For the majority of the residents of Mobile that area is simply too far away to visit regularly.
Most major retailers they prefer to stick near the interstate and major arteries.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:09 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,860,117 times
Quote:
With all the violence at the mall in recent months and the fact that the WAVE bus service does not service that area of West Mobile, I can see retailers wanting to bolt Bel Air for the new area and new retailers would choose the new development over Bel Air.
Retailers aren't going to make different decisions than individual movers these days... middle class/+ people are moving back into the cities and out of the suburbs. No matter your individual beliefs here (these beliefs are quite apparent given your need to equate bus coverage to crime), it's not going to change that most billion dollar corporations aren't going to follow the middle class suburban flight of yesteryear.

For example, see the Eastern Shore Center or the Spanish Fort development for evidence of this. There is surely less crime in the middle of a cow pasture, but people (sure as all hell) aren't going to flock there just because of perceived crime differences.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:34 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,860,117 times
By the way, this "development" was initially announced last January.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:39 PM

Developers must have some contracts ready to go to already clear the land and have a sign on the property. Gunshots in front of PF Chang’s, gunshots near Forever 21, fights in front of shoe stores. These have all been reported on the news and I have friends who work in different shops in the mall who state they have huge loitering, even with the new mall policy about loitering, and attribute it to the WAVE bus service. The Eastern Shore Center was very popular and successful when it opened and Dillard’s, Belk, and Barnes and Nobles do a great business. The ESC problem is poor management and how the center is laid out on the property. East chase in Montgomery is in former farm pasture and is always busy when I pass it on the interstate. East chase has more of a village feel and is properly managed as well.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
By the way, this "development" was initially announced last January.
I guess they are finally moving forward with the land now being cleared and a sign.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:54 PM

265 posts, read 428,796 times
Where is that property exactly?

Old 01-24-2018, 01:24 PM

Right behind Kohl’s on Schillengers

Old 01-24-2018, 02:04 PM

265 posts, read 428,796 times
Quote:
Right behind Kohl’s on Schillengers
Thank you! 😊
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area