Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:49 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Mac View Post
Rouses has great meat as does Fresh Market. Mosley's has great meat as well.

I wish Mobile had a legit old school butcher. Whole animal style where you could get any cut you wanted. Maybe one day.
Haven't those dwindled away just about everywhere? I suppose some are left in large cities, but supermarkets pretty much put butcher shops out of business when they came about 60 or so years ago, best I can tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 09:02 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Supermarkets eliminated many grocery, meat, and produce specific stores. Butcher shops and produce stands are still around.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:39 AM

426 posts, read 382,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Haven't those dwindled away just about everywhere? I suppose some are left in large cities, but supermarkets pretty much put butcher shops out of business when they came about 60 or so years ago, best I can tell.
They are making a comeback big time. People love "craft" anything now a days and people are starting to cook and eat better food too. I'll bet we have an old school butcher posted up in the city within the next 5 years.

Heck, I wouldn't be completely shocked if Whiskey Ridge Cattle Company in Baldwin Co did something along those lines. They already do Dry Aged Beef, Wagyu, bulk ordering, etc etc.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:35 AM

562 posts, read 666,115 times
Winn Dixie is simply outflanked by it's competition. The only way it stands out is with the "gimmicks" they have through their loyalty card, which itself has been a trainwreck because it's morphed from Winn-Dixie, to Plenti, and now SE Grocers (which is a rebranded W/D card due to the failure of Plenti).

Publix has BOGOs and awesome service, Rouses has specialty items and good deals, and Walmart still has a slight edge on price and dominates the market. That leaves Piggly Wiggly and Greer's (and all of the Cost Plus stores)

Even Kroger beats Winn Dixie in most regards of gimmicks and better prices. I still think if SE Grocers fails, Kroger will swoop in and run the Winn Dixie stores after weeding out the bad locations and those in places where they already compete with Kroger.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:58 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Winn-Dixie sold the Atmore store to a Mississippi based chain called Ramey’s. Everything still pretty much looks the same, except the store brand items have changed to Best Choice. The deli has actually improved a bit, it got to the point where W/D was closing it at 2:00.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:54 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Winn-Dixie sold the Atmore store to a Mississippi based chain called Ramey’s. Everything still pretty much looks the same, except the store brand items have changed to Best Choice. The deli has actually improved a bit, it got to the point where W/D was closing it at 2:00.
Best Choice is Rouses Market's house brand also.I wonder if the two are related in anyways ?

Old 08-01-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Best Choice is Rouses Market's house brand also.I wonder if the two are related in anyways ?
The local Piggly Wiggly here also sells Best Choice. I think it’s just a common generic brand.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:53 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
I wonder if Best Choice is a brand sold by customers of C&S Wholesale Grocers.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I wonder if Best Choice is a brand sold by customers of C&S Wholesale Grocers.
Associated Wholesale Grocers (AWG).

Old 08-01-2018, 05:37 PM

562 posts, read 666,115 times
When Belle Foods liquidated, it was AWG that bought many of their stores. Going back to Bruno's auction and sale to Southern Family Markets, it was a division of C&S. The C&S distribution continued into Bill White's purchase of Southern and conversion into Belle Foods.

About the same time, Rouses had a falling out with their distributor and joined forces with AWG. Greer's is a longtime customer of theirs and with AWG's help, they were able to quickly expand with their "cash saver" stores.

Several other smaller grocery chains in this region also use AWG, and even their "cash saver" format. Needless to say, they pounced on the opportunity to acquire many of the Belle Foods stores when they became available and divided them amongst their distribution customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area