Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 06:54 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times

Advertisements

I heard the one on Ziegler was closing but I have notice changes at the one close to the house. They been painting the interior a god awful color, been re arranging the store making it not as nice but cheap like. notice different brand, in can goods and other, seem like it going more generic. saturday they stop the plenty card, That was a big deal just a couple months ago. So I wonder if they sold out, its becoming more like a food tiger. I guess with Publik and Rouses coming in, they are taking the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 08:22 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Southeastern Grocers, parent company of Winn-Dixie, has been updating several stores with aesthetic improvements. How it is updating stores post-bankruptcy and after the closing of ninety-four BI-LO, Fresco y Más, Harvey's Supermarket, and Winn-Dixie stores is a wonder.

I would be surprised if Winn-Dixie is around in five years.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:32 PM

562 posts, read 665,353 times
I wish someone like Kroger would buy them out. I'm sure if SE grocers whittles out their weaker locations, they could fit nicely into Kroger's profile where they don't have stores already. Even if they buy them and keep them separate like they did with Harris-Teeter, the benefits of being under Kroger would be a store that could better compete on price and do things better than SE Grocers, while keeping things like "the beef people" around. (Although it would be interesting if this does happen, would "Chek" drinks survive against "Big K")?

Old 07-17-2018, 05:26 PM

562 posts, read 665,353 times
Went into the Ziegler store...seemed normal. But WD has been quietly closing and selling stores to others aside from the ones closed in their last round of bankruptcy...

Old 07-18-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtv411 View Post
I wish someone like Kroger would buy them out. I'm sure if SE grocers whittles out their weaker locations, they could fit nicely into Kroger's profile where they don't have stores already. Even if they buy them and keep them separate like they did with Harris-Teeter, the benefits of being under Kroger would be a store that could better compete on price and do things better than SE Grocers, while keeping things like "the beef people" around. (Although it would be interesting if this does happen, would "Chek" drinks survive against "Big K")?
I think the window of opportunity for anyone to acquire Winn-Dixie closed years ago. I doubt anyone wants to take on a chain that has quantities of stores in need of major improvements or have performed bad not to make sales.

Kroger would be smart to expand organically by opening its own stores.

If Winn-Dixie exits Mobile County, supermarket participants would include Piggly Wiggly, Publix, Rouse's, and Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtv411 View Post
Went into the Ziegler store...seemed normal. But WD has been quietly closing and selling stores to others aside from the ones closed in their last round of bankruptcy...
Additional Southeastern Grocers stores in the BI-LO and Winn-Dixie banners are in the process of closing. Some stores have closed their food (grocery, meat, produce, seafood) and pharmacy departments.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:50 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
i stop going to winn dixie, the semmes store is just plain nasty. I went to publix today. little higher price but cleaner store. what i dont get in the grocery, usually dollar general will have. I wish we had more grocery stores in Mobile. Maybe I need to start buying my meat at Mosley. we need a farmer market too

Old 07-23-2018, 07:42 AM

426 posts, read 382,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i stop going to winn dixie, the semmes store is just plain nasty. I went to publix today. little higher price but cleaner store. what i dont get in the grocery, usually dollar general will have. I wish we had more grocery stores in Mobile. Maybe I need to start buying my meat at Mosley. we need a farmer market too
Rouses has great meat as does Fresh Market. Mosley's has great meat as well.

I wish Mobile had a legit old school butcher. Whole animal style where you could get any cut you wanted. Maybe one day.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:33 AM

Does Mobile have any butcher shops that focus on meats only?

Old 07-23-2018, 11:27 AM

426 posts, read 382,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Does Mobile have any butcher shops that focus on meats only?
Mosley's and Lad & Dads do meat and seafood. I want a serious Nose to Tail butcher though and we are lacking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area