Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 10:23 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
I agree. And most of the time it's people that moved away many years ago that now judge an area's worthiness based on internet forum posts.
Amen! No sizable city will be completely crime free as far as murder rates go it's July and Mobile hasn't reached 20 thank God. TBH I don't even think Mobile has went past 15 ! . While cities like Jackson is at 55 ! Baton Rouge 44, Augusta 23, and Little Rock at 22. Mobile and Huntsville are currently about the same.

Last edited by PortCity; 07-18-2018 at 10:43 AM..

Old 07-18-2018, 10:28 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Mac View Post
I think the issue is most people read local news who just peddle out the bad and think this stuff happens a ton. If people want to go twiddle their thumbs and be bored over in the Eastern Shore for some whimsical sense of safety then they can.

Facts are if you aren't hanging out in shady areas after 1 am or dealing/buying drugs you have nothing to worry about.
Absolutely ! I grew up in one of the toughest neighborhoods in the city.And we were never victims of crime even though we lived dead smack in the middle Mobile's " Da Bottom" community.There were hard working families such as ours and sketchy ones too. All in all the crime was life style associated. My parents moved out west before I left High School but our sense of safety was no different. Because we minded our own business. My parents moved because they wanted a new house and a different environment not for safety we never had any issues.

Last edited by PortCity; 07-18-2018 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-18-2018, 01:48 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
You didn't just mention it, you try to find ways to fit your narrative.

Most of the time you were off-base in the past. Remember when you said Mobile's growth in several areas didn't "count" because other cities had similar growth? That was a head-scratcher.
Remember when you didn't answer my questions as to why Mardi Gras associations, such as OOMs, still have very little to no minorities, as does the Mobile Country Club. You or your friend said that that are associations open to the public. That's not the same, and you know it. My guess is you really know 'very little' about Mobile.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I agree. And most of the time it's people that moved away many years ago that now judge an area's worthiness based on internet forum posts.
Wrong. We still visit Mobile frequently. Have relatives and friends there. You obviously know little about the 'inner workings' of Mobile. Again, my guess is that you and your friend are relatively new to Mobile and/or work for the Chamber or Tourism Commission. It's sad when you can't be objective about a place. There are negative things even about the places I like. These forums are open so that people can share ideas/perspectives. I can assure you I'm not the only person who has these views. To constantly be a cheerleader for a place and be unwilling to present an objective perspective, even though at times there are negative views, really serves no purpose.

Last edited by Lizap; 07-18-2018 at 02:10 PM..

Old 07-18-2018, 02:15 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,858,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Remember when you didn't answer my questions as to why Mardi Gras associations, such as OOMs, still have very little to no minorities, as does the Mobile Country Club. You or your friend said that that are associations open to the public. That's not the same, and you know it. My guess is you really know 'very little' about Mobile.
And, if you can't recall, I'll repeat: I cannot speak for clubs of which I am not a part. I don't know why you care what private clubs do if it doesn't affect you, anyways.

Your insinuation that you know more is laughable, considering you left Mobile in the eighties.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
And, if you can't recall, I'll repeat: I cannot speak for clubs of which I am not a part. I don't know why you care what private clubs do if it doesn't affect you, anyways.

Your insinuation that you know more is laughable, considering you left Mobile in the eighties.
You have yet to answer any of my questions. I said I still have relatives and friends there and visit frequently. You don't answer because you CAN'T!! There ARE NO reasonable answers (and you know it). Why is it that you can't be objective? What is your position with the Chamber or Tourism Commission?

Old 07-18-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Wrong. We still visit Mobile frequently. Have relatives and friends there. You obviously know little about the 'inner workings' of Mobile. Again, my guess is that you and your friend are relatively new to Mobile and/or work for the Chamber or Tourism Commission. It's sad when you can't be objective about a place. There are negative things even about the places I like. These forums are open so that people can share ideas/perspectives. I can assure you I'm not the only person who has these views. To constantly be a cheerleader for a place and be unwilling to present an objective perspective, even though at times there are negative views, really serves no purpose.
To date, you have done nothing but rag on Mobile. Perhaps constantly being given the Devil's Advocate treatment hurts your ability to spew whatever rhetoric you need. Perhaps also if you want me to say negative things about the area, you could ask me. However, to this point, we're topped up on negativity from your posts. So, are you now saying you like Mobile? Because every post you have is trying to fit your narrative of "see, this is why I left Mobile [~30 years ago]" when each post is truly a microcosm.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
You have yet to answer any of my questions. Your posts speak for themselves and are LAUGHABLE!! You must not read. I said I still have relatives and friends there and visit frequently. You don't answer because you CAN'T!! There ARE NO reasonable answers (and you know it).
I don't know why you want me to speak for organizations of which I am no part. You are right in that I can't speak for others.

I have friends and relatives in NYC and visit them frequently, but I don't dare claim to know the sociological workings of the city due to that.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I don't know why you want me to speak for organizations of which I am no part. You are right in that I can't speak for others.
What is your position with the Chamber or Tourism Commission? I'm not going anywhere. I want people who visit this forum to see the 'complete' picture.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
To date, you have done nothing but rag on Mobile. Perhaps constantly being given the Devil's Advocate treatment hurts your ability to spew whatever rhetoric you need. Perhaps also if you want me to say negative things about the area, you could ask me. However, to this point, we're topped up on negativity from your posts. So, are you now saying you like Mobile? Because every post you have is trying to fit your narrative of "see, this is why I left Mobile [~30 years ago]" when each post is truly a microcosm.
I'm not going to share with YOU the reason I left Mobile, but when we did leave, it opened our eyes that there are much better places to live and work in the U.S. (and especially the South).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area