Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 02:31 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,832,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
What is your position with the Chamber or Tourism Commission? I'm not going anywhere. I want people who visit this forum to see the 'complete' picture.
You seem like the stereotypical angry Yelp restaurant reviewer that thinks internet posts go somewhere.

I do not hold any affiliation with any commission/chamber.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to share with YOU the reason I left Mobile, but when we did leave, it opened our eyes that there are much better places to live and work in the U.S.
Good for you and I'm glad you feel safe in that opinion. We obviously don't agree. Now, why must you pester this forum with constant posts on why everyone should think the exact same as you.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:34 PM

6,560 posts, read 4,203,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
You seem like the stereotypical angry Yelp restaurant reviewer that thinks internet posts go somewhere.

I do not hold any affiliation with any commission/chamber.
Not angry with anyone. You obviously don't really know Mobile (or perhaps don't care). Let's just say I know more about Mobile than you'll ever know.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Not angry with anyone. You obviously don't really know Mobile (or perhaps don't care). Let's just say I know more about Mobile than you'll ever know.
You're obviously quite angry. Look at all the caps and multiple exclamation points. Your posts are oozing with it...

I can guarantee I know Mobile. Why? Because I am living here in 2018 and have been for several years. If you want someone to have a complete picture, why don't you understand that it would be much more proper to take posts from current Mobilians than those that lived here in the distant past and now visit every so often.

Last edited by Southsky; 07-18-2018 at 02:47 PM..

Old 07-18-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
You're obviously quite angry. Look at all the caps and multiple exclamation points. Your posts are oozing with it...

I can guarantee I know it better than you. Why? Because I am living here in 2018 and have been for several years. If you want someone to have a complete picture, why don't you understand that it would be much more proper to take posts from current Mobilians than those that lived here in the distant past and now visit every so often.
OK, now I get it. You've ONLY lived there for SEVERAL years. No way you can have very much perspective.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
OK, now I get it. You've ONLY lived there for SEVERAL years. No way you can have very much perspective.
Thank you for proving my point so succinctly.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Thank you for proving my point so succinctly.
The point is you have very little perspective. It take a while to learn things. You need to read about the history of Mobile, speak with the leaders, elected officials, Mardi Gras royalty, people who live in Springhill, members of 'old Mobile' families, people who live near USA Med. Center, people who've moved to west Mobile and Daphne/Fairhope to get away from Mobile, parents of public school kids, public school teachers, parents who send their kids to UMS/Wright or St. Pauls, etc.. It's only then (and after you've lived there longer) will you truly understand Mobile. I'm glad you like Mobile. Certainly, there are things to like. But, there are things not to like and things that can be improved. To think not is terribly naive.

Last edited by Lizap; 07-18-2018 at 02:55 PM..

Old 07-18-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
The point is you have very little perspective. It take a while to learn things. You need to read about the history of Mobile, speak with the leaders, elected officials, Mardi Gras royalty, people who live in Springhill, 'rub elbows' with members of 'old Mobile' families, people who live near USA Med. Center, people who've moved to west Mobile and Daphne/Fairhope to get away from Mobile, parents of public school kids, public school teachers, parents who send their kids to UMS/Wright or St. Pauls, etc.. It's only then (and after you've lived there longer) will you truly understand Mobile. I'm glad you like Mobile. Certainly, there are things to like. But, there are things not to like and things that can be improved. To think not is terribly naive.
Ugh, I am bantering with a broken record. I have been in Mobile for long enough to know quite a bit. No wise person would ever say they know "all about it" because you can never know "it all", but I certainly deeply understand it. I am not saying everything is rosy. Like I said, if you'd like to hear my negative points all you have to do is ask.

Rhetorical questions:
Do you, for instance, know why young people are moving in droves to downtown and midtown (from the suburbs/other metros)? Do you know why the airport ridership would increase if the commercial airport was moved to Brookley? Do you who is behind the largest part of revitalization efforts ongoing in South Oakleigh?

Old 07-18-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Ugh, I am bantering with a broken record. I have been in Mobile for long enough to know quite a bit. No wise person would ever say they know "all about it" because you can never know "it all", but I certainly deeply understand it. I am not saying everything is rosy. Like I said, if you'd like to hear my negative points all you have to do is ask.

Rhetorical questions:
Do you, for instance, know why young people are moving in droves to downtown and midtown (from the suburbs/other metros)? Do you know why the airport ridership would increase if the commercial airport was moved to Brookley? Do you know the revitalization efforts ongoing in South Oakleigh? Do you know which part of town has about 80% of all the violent crime in the city?
Yes, I can answer most of these, but it doesn't change the fact that Mobile has problems/challenges. Why has there been 'white flight' to west Mobile and Daphne/Fairhope? Why are the public schools in Mobile County so poor (indicated by test scores)? Why do legacy Mardi Gras societies and Mobile Country Club have very few minorities? And sure, there has been some development downtown, but relative to a lot of other cities, it has been very slow in coming and is still not where it should be.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:14 PM

4,992 posts, read 9,077,347 times
I have to tip toe in this debate a little but as far as I know South Sky is a native Mobilian who graduated from Murphy High School and later from LSU am I correct ? And as far as Mardi Gras goes again there are well over 100 Mardi Gras associtations.Unfortunately some are segregated but they are private social clubs.Out of the 100 plus societies (Krewes) some are segregated, integrated, LGBT, Old Mobile Creole families( which a form of segregation if your not Creole), and etc etc etc. The same can be said for other older established Mardi Gras cities such as Fairhope ,NOLA, Baton Rouge ,Galveston, and Biloxi.

There is noooo place on this planet that does not have segregated private social groups, no where ! Even in liberal cities of Cali there are segregated private social clubs. I'm a 32 year old black male,who is a native Mobilian.Lived in Harlem for a short stint of almost 4 months and Huntsville for a little over 3 years but majority of my time has been in Mobile.Mobile isn't perfect but the city's issues are not an outlier or exclusive either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area