Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 10:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

They have made it super easy to get to the airport from Saraland. Industrial Pkwy goes straight to Schillenger now with very little traffic.

I really don’t see the point in moving it towards downtown since Mobile’s population is spreading further west. Most people in Baldwin County likely fly out of Pensacola anyways, because like I mentioned already, it’s usually cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You understand that argument goes both ways right ? As another posted already mentioned, ALDOT has done multiple large scale projects around the rest of the state and has not enacted a toll on them.
I suspect the state is trying to capture a lot of out of state money. When I’m on I-10 it seems like I see just as many plates from Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas as do I plates from Alabama.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:19 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,860,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They have made it super easy to get to the airport from Saraland. Industrial Pkwy goes straight to Schillenger now with very little traffic.

I really don’t see the point in moving it towards downtown since Mobile’s population is spreading further west. Most people in Baldwin County likely fly out of Pensacola anyways, because like I mentioned already, it’s usually cheaper.
The point is to provide a better connected airport, one that the Western Baldwin county folks will use, and the location the airlines would rather serve.

What does this do? It drops prices as there is more competition from low cost carriers and more total demand. The low cost carriers told the airport authority numerous times that regional airport’s location did not provide them with the catchment area or connectivity they need to start service. Downtown airport puts commercial airlines much closer to the Eastern Shore, increasing the likelihood of the typical Baldwin county flyer to choose to fly out of Mobile. We are seeing this work now with the success Frontier is already having at the downtown airport. The downtown airport positions itself closer than regional to more than 150,000 new potential flyers. This is the primary reason for the airlines to want to fly out of downtown, and why it will ultimately be a much more successful airport.

I believe you will see more service be announced soon, and not just on Frontier.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:20 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Alabama has one of the lowest tax burdens in the US, I don't want to pay for something for South Alabama when I will never use it.
Looking from the outside in, that just might be part of Alabama's problems.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
It’s part of every state’s problem. I can’t count how many posts I’ve seen on here of people in Atlanta complaining about money being spent on projects in south GA.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:09 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
It is.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:32 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Alabama has one of the lowest tax burdens in the US, I don't want to pay for something for South Alabama when I will never use it.
I wanted to touch on this subject again.What about the extra 5 million or so GOMESA funds that Alabama received due to Mobile and Baldwin counties.Yet majority of the extra 5 million is spent in North Alabama. And lets not touch on the BP spill money that was spent in North Alabama.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:09 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Quote:
I will pile on here. This is an awful take. The government tax system, when it comes to infrastructure, is meant to benefit everyone, and it works best when it's a mix of conservative and liberal ideas. There SHOULD be a mix of taking from the rich and giving to the poor, when it comes to infrastructure, else there would be gold plated roads in the cities but dirt roads for the connecting interstates.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:20 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
How many cities have two airports for passengers? Not many, and the ones that do are large cities (Washington, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, etc.). Two airports in Mobile are not economically feasible. It's got to be one or the other in my opinion. Is downtown really a good idea? San Diego's is downtown and is a little sporty for airline pilots.
To operate as it is currently, it's not a big deal. Brookley does not require the same security right now that Regional does, even with the new flights. It's really not a whole lot different than before, as far as the Mobile Airport Authority's role, cost wise. Actually it might be a little better because they get some lease money from the airlines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Is Mobile Regional really that far? The Huntsville airport is about 10-12 miles west of downtown and does fine. Mobile Regional isn't any farther than that is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
Mobile Regional is on an island without highway or interstate access. The downtown terminal provides much better connectivity.
Rocket's point, and mine previously, is that this really does not matter that much. If you can get to an airport in less than 30 minutes you are doing alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
The two airport situation will only be the case for 5 or so years until Mobile Regional is closed for Mobile Downtown.
This is your opinion. It will likely take much longer than 5 years. The study itself will take at least a year, probably longer, then the land relocations and environmental work will last 3-4 years.

Again, some powerful people in Mobile are supportive of this, so it will likely happen one way or another. But it won't be within 5 years. Double or triple most likely.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:50 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,860,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Rocket's point, and mine previously, is that this really does not matter that much. If you can get to an airport in less than 30 minutes you are doing alright.
That's all well and good if Mobilians are the only ones using the airport, but of course that is not the case. From Daphne, for instance, it is certainly not 30 minutes to the regional airport.

Quote:
This is your opinion. It will likely take much longer than 5 years. The study itself will take at least a year, probably longer, then the land relocations and environmental work will last 3-4 years.
Here are 3 sources which say my "opinion" is correct:
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

My "opinion," backed by statements by the airport authority noted above and on many other sources, says that the downtown airport will be primary within 4-6 years.

Quote:
But it won't be within 5 years. Double or triple most likely.
Now this^ is an opinion based solely on speculation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area