Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 11:21 AM

426 posts, read 382,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Theodore encompasses a pretty big area, it goes as far out as Mon Louis Island. Theodore has the commercial resources to be self sufficient. I think this is a good idea, as a semi-recent graduate of MCPSS, the system really isn't good outside of say Baker and Davidson and is likely the biggest reason for the slowing development of Mobile and Mobile County. More Schools opting out of the system might be a good kicker for MCPSS to get its act together. I also think another city on Mobile's border will be a good kicker to start annexing land, plus I believe Mobile has no intentions in annexing any land from Theodore
I think MCPSS' biggest problem is its size. We are the biggest in Alabama and they 71st biggest in the US. The kids at Williamson need something very different that the kids at MGM and it gets harder and harder to manage. I think shrinking down the school system size is much needed and will go a long way in helping it out long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 01:56 PM

261 posts, read 202,337 times
Quote:
Theodore encompasses a pretty big area, it goes as far out as Mon Louis Island. Theodore has the commercial resources to be self sufficient. I think this is a good idea, as a semi-recent graduate of MCPSS, the system really isn't good outside of say Baker and Davidson and is likely the biggest reason for the slowing development of Mobile and Mobile County. More Schools opting out of the system might be a good kicker for MCPSS to get its act together. I also think another city on Mobile's border will be a good kicker to start annexing land, plus I believe Mobile has no intentions in annexing any land from Theodore
I see what you’re saying but I have heavy doubts that the school system would be any better. If Saraland and other north Mobile county schools leaving didn’t provide a wake up call, then I don’t think this will be any different for them. Also I don’t believe that the city will annex any land unless the current city council make up changes. Basically, mayor stimpson has to win and have all 3 open council seats filled with pro annexation seats. If Richardson gets replaced by someone who doesn’t want to annex either, and Bess rich and John Williams are replaced by pro annexation people, then we’re still at a stalemate. It would take manzie and small, assuming they win, to flip their vote to actually get any annexation efforts passed. A new annexation plan would have to include everything that was in the last one, plus more of Tillman’s corner and Theodore to try and block this from happening

Old 07-15-2021, 02:34 PM

490 posts, read 464,486 times
I don't think the size is an issue. But I do believe the school system needs to be restructured. The feeder systems need to be more neighborhood oriented and there needs to be greater cooperation with between the system and cities.

I do not believe the balkanization of Mobile County is a good thing at all. It will increase infighting and political squabbling between communities. I do not want Mobile to be like Jefferson. Plus, if Theodore did leave it would take needed revenue out of the system at the detriment of other communities. Kind of a ”I got mine” attitude. The system will get poorer and times would most likely get harder for the remaining communities, which would probably lead to more splits (Semmes or West Mobile). Feels like short term gains for long term pain.

I think that a few of the council members might have a change of heart about annexation after the election if Stimpson wins. Especially since they were just towing the Mobile County Democratic line, which saw annexation as making it more difficult to defeat Stimpson.

Old 07-15-2021, 02:36 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,219,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
I see what you’re saying but I have heavy doubts that the school system would be any better. If Saraland and other north Mobile county schools leaving didn’t provide a wake up call, then I don’t think this will be any different for them. Also I don’t believe that the city will annex any land unless the current city council make up changes. Basically, mayor stimpson has to win and have all 3 open council seats filled with pro annexation seats. If Richardson gets replaced by someone who doesn’t want to annex either, and Bess rich and John Williams are replaced by pro annexation people, then we’re still at a stalemate. It would take manzie and small, assuming they win, to flip their vote to actually get any annexation efforts passed. A new annexation plan would have to include everything that was in the last one, plus more of Tillman’s corner and Theodore to try and block this from happening

Yea, even with the possibility of incorporation of Theodore, the current city council will likely not allow more annexation, I'm sure whoever replaces Rich and Williams will be pro annexation, the big seat is Richardson's replacement. Richardson has always been short sighted in my opinion, so glad he's leaving. Doubt you can change the mind of Manzi and Small on annexation, so all eyes are on that one seat. If we can get a pro-annexation replacement, who knows how much Mobile will grow

Old 07-15-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlb401 View Post
I don't think the size is an issue. But I do believe the school system needs to be restructured. The feeder systems need to be more neighborhood oriented and there needs to be greater cooperation with between the system and cities.

I do not believe the balkanization of Mobile County is a good thing at all. It will increase infighting and political squabbling between communities. I do not want Mobile to be like Jefferson. Plus, if Theodore did leave it would take needed revenue out of the system at the detriment of other communities. Kind of a ”I got mine” attitude. The system will get poorer and times would most likely get harder for the remaining communities, which would probably lead to more splits (Semmes or West Mobile). Feels like short term gains for long term pain.

I think that a few of the council members might have a change of heart about annexation after the election if Stimpson wins. Especially since they were just towing the Mobile County Democratic line, which saw annexation as making it more difficult to defeat Stimpson.

The problem is that MCPSS is awful, the only quality High School in the system is Baker. I don't want to see MCPSS break up; however, there seems to be little choice. In today's age, the quality of the schools have a major impact of where people will go. MCPSS does not have that quality and I'm willing to bet its a big reason why so many have moved to Baldwin County over Mobile County (because their school system is so much better). MCPSS seems to only be getting worse so it seems the best option it just to leave it. Satsuma and Saraland have shown great success doing this and appear better off than if they had stayed

Old 07-15-2021, 03:05 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
The problem is that MCPSS is awful, the only quality High School in the system is Baker. I don't want to see MCPSS break up; however, there seems to be little choice. In today's age, the quality of the schools have a major impact of where people will go. MCPSS does not have that quality and I'm willing to bet its a big reason why so many have moved to Baldwin County over Mobile County (because their school system is so much better). MCPSS seems to only be getting worse so it seems the best option it just to leave it. Satsuma and Saraland have shown great success doing this and appear better off than if they had stayed
Davidson ranks higher actually.Mary G is a good high-school.

Old 07-15-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Davidson ranks higher actually.Mary G is a good high-school.

What are you using? I'm using Zillow for this info (lol) says Baker is a 6, MGM 4, and Davidson 3

Old 07-15-2021, 04:05 PM

261 posts, read 202,337 times
Quote:
What are you using? I'm using Zillow for this info (lol) says Baker is a 6, MGM 4, and Davidson 3
I did see an article a while back that ranked Davidson as the best school in Mobile. It was ranking best schools across the state in different cities and said our best was Davidson, which I do find hard to believe

Old 07-16-2021, 09:22 PM

I see what you mean, looked up a couple of listed, they were all different but they did usually put Saraland, Satsuma and Davidson at the top

Old 07-19-2021, 07:33 PM

Curious what population Theodore could have. They say a population of 6,000, but ZIP 36582 essentially falls under all of broader Theodore which has a population of over 21k. Which could make it one of our bigger suburbs. I actually think of Theodore as Mobile's version of Metaire in NOLA, a clear suburb of the city but not an official city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area