Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 04:13 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
The last guy sent to Alabama by my company was invited by a co-worker to dinner at his house. When he arrived he was met by his co-workers bible class who tried to save him all night. He resigned from the company the following week rather than stay there, thats why i asked my original question.
I think I would have got up and walked out and said "I've heard enough, catch ya later". It's very rare that it happens, but as a native Alabamian, that would upset me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 04:28 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I would 'Thank' them for the invitation to dinner but you have your own religion and leave. I would be really upset if someone did that to me too. I hope you know who that person is, if they are still working there. If it was the 'boss', just always have plans if s/he ask you to dinner.

Most Mobilians are not like that so take heart.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:42 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,793 times
I must apologise for saying " hayseed " I was just having a bit of a rant. I'm sure that the people of Mobile are very hospitable, and I apologise for suggesting that they might be less than that.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:58 PM

LOL.. I am not sure how many of us know exactly what that means as it isn't one of our expressions.

Most of the folks in Mobile are professionals and while you may notice the southern accent it isn't nearly pronounced as some southern cities. When are going to be there? Mardi Gras was founded in Mobile and the parades usually start in Jan or Feb. Not the rowdy kind like in New Orleans, more family oriented.

Just make sure you don't accept a dinner invitation from that co-worker.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:50 PM

Thank you Keeper.
I believe that most people in the UK know very little about Alabama. Perhaps the only televised exposure to the state was a "Top Gear" show shown on the BBC channel, it was'nt very flattering.
The show is easy to find on the internet. I start my stint in Mobile in September, and I won't be accepting any dinner invitations.
I wonder if you know of any blues clubs that allow people to jam with the band, I play guitar with a blues band and want to keep my hand in.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:59 AM

767 posts, read 2,291,261 times
Quote:
Thank you Keeper.
I believe that most people in the UK know very little about Alabama. Perhaps the only televised exposure to the state was a "Top Gear" show shown on the BBC channel, it was'nt very flattering.
The show is easy to find on the internet. I start my stint in Mobile in September, and I won't be accepting any dinner invitations.
I wonder if you know of any blues clubs that allow people to jam with the band, I play guitar with a blues band and want to keep my hand in.
You will be only a few miles from Mississippi and the blues were born here. Check it out.
Of course, Mississippi has a worse reputation than Alabama. We are on the bottom of every list, but I guess every list has to have someone at the bottom.
I think you will be making a mistake if you turn down a dinner invite to enjoy the best food in the world.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:53 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Thank you Keeper.
Yes, I know that show you are talking about. Even though it was funny, I kinda took offense to it. Not only is Mobile not like that, but the whole state of Alabama is nothing like what that show portrayed. I know, I am a gay man living in rural Alabama, and I have never seen anyone act like that. I'm sure those people on that show were paid actors.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:48 AM

Yes I can understand why you would be upset. The only article that I've read about Alabama concerned the governor of the state a Mr Fob James calling for creationism to be taught alongside evolution in the classroom. As an engineer, a profession that encourages reasoned thought, I think Mr James plan will put pupils at a terrible disadvantage in their education If true.
Was the article accurate?.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:02 PM

Well, many parts of AL are in what we refer to as the 'Bible Belt' as are some parts of TN, MS and GA. I wouldn't include Mobile in that part although there are some ppl who would fit that description such as your former co-worker experienced. While I live in a part of AL that is in the Bible Belt, it doesn't mean we all agree with everything they believe in. I didn't live in AL during Gov James term, so I can't say what he his leanings were, but I can guess.

There are still cities/towns/counties who are what we call 'dry' meaning they don't serve alcohol in restaurants or sell it in stores. They are in the bible belt. Yep I live in one of those

Mobile also has a large Catholic population unlike 'bible belt' areas.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:06 PM

34 posts, read 105,312 times
Mobile is a wonderful city and like they said most young people don't even go to church. I am catholic but I don't go to church every sunday and I don't stress religion to anyone. We accept you as you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
View detailed profiles of: